ProRes RAW support? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old July 16th, 2019, 06:08 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Re: ProRes RAW support?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Huff View Post
Third party is still a workable solution, unlike no solution whatsoever.
You implied that Premiere directly supported BRAW but not specifying that this support is provided by a third party. That was my only point.

Quote:
Weird that you didn't list the applications:
Didn't need to list them. The point is this: more applications currently provide direct support for ProRes Raw then BRAW. Simple numbers really. DaVinci is the only one (1) with direct support at this moment.

Quote:
Tt's on Atomos...that's it.
I was referring to ProRes codecs in general. Those are not only on Atomos, but widely used, thus my point that ProRes Raw might be more widely adopted at some point.

Quote:
The answer is "no".
That may very well be and it certainly appears to be the case, but that question was specifically directed at Dan Keaton, not you.
Jose Carlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2019, 07:56 AM   #17
Inner Circle

Dear Friends,

At this time we are not developing support for Apple ProRes Raw.

Respectfully,
Old July 17th, 2019, 03:22 PM   #18
Inner Circle

Thank you for the confirmation, Dan.
Gary Huff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2019, 03:24 PM   #19
Inner Circle

Dear Gary,

You are most welcome.

Respectfully,
Old July 18th, 2019, 04:47 AM   #20
Trustee

I don't see ProRes Raw going far. Most camera manufacturers of any note have their own RAW versions so why would they want support a new RAW format which they have to get licensed for with Apple when they have their own. When it comes to existing hardware there are from memory about six different camera models that support ProRes Raw listed on the Atomos site. Not many in other words!

Software? Other than some very high end DI, encoding and finishing apps like:

SSIMILATE - nSCRATCH, FilmLight - Baselight, Daylight, MTI FILM - Cortex and Telestream - Switch and Grass Valley.

So there is no run of the mill NLE listed here unless you call Edius a run of the mill NLE. Edius is great product. I'm still a registered user, but it has one of the smallest user bases of any NLE. Highly doubt Resolve would ever go there what with Blackmagic's own BRAW development. At the moment to the best of my knowledge FCPX is about he only NLE that supports ProRes Raw natively so that totally outs the Windows world of PC editors other than those Edius users. Adobe are also dragging the anchor on this one to date.

Also with more and more cameras coming out with higher bit rates and better color depth codecs means shooters don't have to carry external recording kit as much as they used to in the past. These later camera based developments are not going to advance the take up of ProRes Raw to any great degree I would suggest. So much for all the furore that surrounded its release in April '18. If ProRes Raw hasn't made much traction in the fifteen months since it was released I don't see it surging ahead in a cloud of steam in the coming months, years. I could be wrong! I was once a long time ago, October 1962... but most people have forgotten and forgiven me that error :))

Chris Young
Sydney
Christopher Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2019, 06:38 AM   #21
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Young View Post
I could be wrong! I was once a long time ago, October 1962... but most people have forgotten and forgiven me that error :))
Yes, despite your error we still landed on the moon, it just delayed it until '69.
Gary Huff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2019, 08:05 AM   #22
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Edius is great product.
This is true. And not enough people know it.

Quote:
...it has one of the smallest user bases of any NLE.
Which is their own damn fault, but that's a topic for a separate discussion.

Quote:
...we still landed on the moon, it just delayed it until '69.
Has it been 50 years already? Seems like it was just yesterday.

Our readers may or may not be aware that Project Apollo is always on-topic, and therefore a most welcome subject of discussion, any time Dan Keaton's name appears.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey