Time to start talking about the DN-60 - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Datavideo DN-xx Series Recorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Datavideo DN-xx Series Recorders
Formerly known as nNovia QuickCapture QC A2D2 other nNovia products.

Old December 4th, 2010, 03:02 PM   #31
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panagiotis Raris View Post
Easiest way around it is to try to record an extra second or two before something starts...
I agree: it's not a real problem. I don't think I've ever used an entire clip from start to finish. I always have recorded a few seconds longer than I felt necessary. Always leave room for the edits.

Last night was my first real test of the DN-60. I recorded a one hour Christmas program. No problems, and it felt great to not have to worry about changing tapes. All the clips seem to be perfect (except for those green frames). BUT...

I do need to get a faster CF reader. My internal CF reader is not high-speed USB 2.0. I got an average transfer rate of just 25 megabits/sec! My file transfer was just as slow as capturing from DV tape.

Any suggestions on a fast USB 2.0 or 1394a CF reader?
Old December 4th, 2010, 06:15 PM   #32
Regular Crew

I use Lexar Professional UDMA Dual Slot USB 2.0 Reader ( UDMA CF/ CF/SD/SDHC Cards ) since July 2010. It is reasonable fast reader. 32GB Sandisk 2hr16m will transfer 18-20 minutes.

If it help!
Ras Dashn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2010, 08:27 PM   #33
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Wozniak View Post
I'm going to jump in here. The answer is "yes". If you set the DN-60 to record on start-up, you can use the stand-by switch as a record button. I just tried it with my XH-A1.
Ken, I am shooting with an XHA1s, considering the DN-60.... what editing software are you using? I am on FCP, wondering if footage will need converting, or if it'll be available as shoot, especially with HDV footage.

Thanks! David
David Stembridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2010, 01:23 PM   #34
Regular Crew

David,
I edit with Grass Valley Edius 5. I am able to pull the m2t files directly into Edius with no converting. I don't have any experience with FCP, so I don't know how it handles m2t files.

Ras,
Thanks for the suggestion. I was just looking at the Lexar unit yesterday. Looks like that's going on the Christmas wish list!
Old December 16th, 2010, 02:33 PM   #35
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ras Dashn View Post
I use Lexar Professional UDMA Dual Slot USB 2.0 Reader ( UDMA CF/ CF/SD/SDHC Cards ) since July 2010. It is reasonable fast reader. 32GB Sandisk 2hr16m will transfer 18-20 minutes.
I'll post my solution to slow transfer times just in case someone stumbles upon this thread.

I purchased an Addonics internal SATA media card reader. Where my old internal USB reader took one hour to transfer one hour of footage, this Addonics unit transferred the same exact footage in under five minutes! I am a happy camper.
Old March 17th, 2011, 05:51 AM   #36
Regular Crew

Re: Time to start talking about the DN-60

How do you rate the DN-60 with a Canon XHA1s?

I'm interested but it looks a little cheap to me. Also interested in the Canon's FS-CF Pro understandably more expensive but is more reliable.

I would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks
Wayne
Wayne Greensill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2011, 12:15 PM   #37
New Boot

Wayne,
I recommend you to test the DN-60 first because there's a possible issue with certain firmware combinations.
You may be interested in my post:
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/datavide...n60-xha1s.html
Stany
Stany Hermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2011, 04:20 PM   #38
Regular Crew

Thank you for that. If you get information on the firmware for this problem could you let me know.

Have you tried and tested the Canon FS-CF? If so what is your views towards it.

Regards
Wayne
Old April 21st, 2011, 10:21 AM   #39
New Boot

Wayne,

So far the tests with the FS CF Pro were very good. I didn't have time to go through all settings and possibilities (a lot more than the DN60 but maybe you don't need them all) but I hope to do this during the weekend. My biggest concern was how the link between the cam and the FS would work but I can already tell you it works very well!
You have to switch on the camera first en then the FS. The connection is established within a second. Also playback (on FS display and camera monitor) works very well. The display quality is very good, the menu system well structured and so is the manual (232 pages). All functions are well explained.
I'm still waiting for the FS camera mount because you can't mount the FS to the camera's hot shoe. There are a few alternatives to mount it to the hot shoe or a camera plate but I think the original FS mount is the most convenient. It needs to be fixed to the handle of the camera.
I'll post my findings shortly.
Regards,
Stany
Old April 21st, 2011, 01:07 PM   #40
Regular Crew

Hi Stany,
Thanks for the info, do let me know what results you find over the weekend, if you get chance. What mount are you getting to attach to the camera?

I look forward in hearing from you soon.

Regards
Wayne
Old April 21st, 2011, 02:20 PM   #41
New Boot

Hi Wayne,
You're welcome. I' ll do my best to post the results during the weekend. According to my dealer the camera mount is the same as the one for the FS5. According to the pictures on the Focus website they look exactly the same.
http://www.focusinfo.com/dynassets/d...unt_Cradle.JPG

Regards,
Stany
Old April 24th, 2011, 04:51 AM   #42
New Boot

Hi Wayne,

I did several tests and the FS CF Pro worked flawlessly! Whereas the DN-60/XH A1 had a very annoying sync problem the FS CF Pro performed very well, you only have to remember you have to switch on the camera first and then the FS. Even switching from 1080i to 1080f while the unit was on, worked fine, the FS recognized it immediately.

I tested it with and without tape and the results were the same. I couldn't have done this with the DN-60. The DN60 is a lot cheaper and, apart from the sync-problem that it has with certain XH A1-firmwares, it does what you expect it do: record and play. You pay a lot more for the FS but in my opinion and also regarding the problems that I discovered, it is definitely worth the extra expense! It's much more reliable, I feel I am not going to use tape anymore (except as backup if necessary).

Besides the numerous settings (I have't tried them all) there are a few other practical things to notice. The DN-60 firewire connection is located on the back of the device whereas on the FS it's located on top. I find the FS solution much more convenient not only when the unit is mounted on the camera but also when you have to place it your desktop. With the DN-60 you can choose between rechargeable or alkaline/lithium batteries (lasts about 2 hours). The FS has its own built in battery (3 hours). If you have to change batteries on the DN-60 then you have to unmount the unit. One time when I wanted to open the battery compartment I almost couldn't get it open (thickness of the batteries?). I don't have the cradle for the FS yet but I expect it to be easier.
If I remember well on the DN-60 you have to remove the CFlash-card every time to transfer your recordings. On the FS you can leave the card in the unit and transfer it via USB2.

What I'm missing is that when you switch the camera to standby mode, the FS stays on. You can however lower the LCD and button brightness to save power. There's also an option to enable/disable the LCD backlight. The DN-60 has an option to automatically shutdown and restart with the camera but due to the sync problem it didn't work well for me.

I'm trying to setup wireless (ad-hoc) but so far it's not working. Although the USB-adapter (Linksys WUSB54GC) is known to be working with the FS, it doesn't work for me. I have my doubts about this adapter. I think I'll buy the Focus adapter instead.

I hope this helps to make your decision.
If you need more information then just let me know.

Kind regards,
Stany
Old June 20th, 2012, 12:29 AM   #43
Major Player

is it just my unit with the first battery extremely difficult to fit? The + connector is a millimeter too close (or the spring is too long). The first + connector is different than the others because there is the red wire soldered. Anyway I can't imagine changing batteries under pressure (I mean the other three are fine, it's the first one that needs a considerable amount of force to fit properly) ... Other than that the DN_60 is almost perfect on a sony fx1
Anthony Lelli is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Datavideo DN-xx Series Recorders