Guns! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Digital Compositing and Effects

Digital Compositing and Effects
After Effects, Shake and everything else.

Old May 14th, 2008, 03:24 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Guns!

Hi any advice on this one would be great, even if you don't think it's appropriate, if you could redirect me to any other webpage or website that would be appreciated too.

I was wondering how to quickly and effectively have for a film the effect of a handgun being fired many times.
Is it as simple as buying a good replica, using good sound and after effects and just forgetting the empty shells and smoke? Just having the actors try to sell it with the weight after that?
Gary Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2008, 03:35 PM   #2
Trustee

We use 8mm prop guns. It is capped so there is no way a regular bullet can be fired through it. It still ejects the shells, makes LOUD bang, and smokes like a real gun. The only post work is adjusting the flare location.
Old May 14th, 2008, 03:55 PM   #3
Major Player

Just use your hands, like I did (see below)
Old May 14th, 2008, 08:29 PM   #4
Regular Crew

First thing.
Alex, awesome.

Next

I'm not from States, so coming across this stuff is going to be a bit harder, they have new laws for buying air rifles, BB guns, replicas......

Anybody have advice? Anybody from the UK heard or dealt with this sort of thing?
Gary Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2008, 04:52 PM   #5
Major Player

You could by a toy gun (which typically comes in bright orange and/or green) then paint it black. Act out the shooting, then add muzzle flashes in your video editing/effects tool of choice.

DO NOT FILM THIS IN A PUBLICLY VIEWABLE LOCATION AS SOMEONE WILL CALL THE POLICE ON YOU.
If you must shoot in an area in public view DO contact your police department first. You can be in for serious problems if you don't.

detonationfilms.com has lots of free stock clips and tips for this sort of effects work for projects with small to no budget.

PS.... if you'd like to see Alex's idea taken a bit further, check out "diecast":
http://www.diecastfilms.co.uk
Old May 21st, 2008, 10:44 PM   #6
Major Player

Now might be the time to pimp these compatriots of mine. (I should add; potentially poor taste warning)

http://www.youtube.com/user/StupidUsername07

All this stuff is done with replicas, acting and post effects. None of the guns are practical in any way beyond being solid metal and rubber things. It's a bit slap dash at times, I'm not a huge fan of much of it. But you can chart the progress of their post techniques and skills in shooting for these post techniques over the series. They got the flares and casings from stock (some guys have a web site with it all. I can't remember where it is though. Might be that detonation films)
It's an interesting way to amuse yourself on weekends anyway.
Murray Christian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2008, 03:11 PM   #7
Major Player

here you go...

http://www.sell-free.com/replicas/categories.php?cat=29

I used a blank firing .38 cal handgun on a shoot...worked great, looked (and feels) real...only noticeable difference is the flash comes out of the side and not the muzzle...but nothing that can't be fixed in post.

Just be careful...they look REALLY REAL, not to mention the bullets look real too.
Mike Meyerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2008, 04:14 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Douglas View Post
I'm not from States, so coming across this stuff is going to be a bit harder, they have new laws for buying air rifles, BB guns, replicas......
Hey Gary, I'd start by looking at http://www.airsoftarmoury.co.uk/

They have advice regarding the new laws. But, I'm more impressed with the selection they have, though you pay for the better (more useable) models.
Tom Vandas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2008, 02:11 AM   #9
Regular Crew

For doing muzzle flashes, you might want to look at :

http://fxhome.com/visionlab/video-gallery/3

the muzzles are generated in 3D so they can be rotated and moved so that they match the plane of the firearm.
Niall Chadwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2008, 02:05 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murray Christian View Post
Now might be the time to pimp these compatriots of mine. (I should add; potentially poor taste warning)

YouTube - StupidUsername07's Channel

All this stuff is done with replicas, acting and post effects. None of the guns are practical in any way beyond being solid metal and rubber things. It's a bit slap dash at times, I'm not a huge fan of much of it. But you can chart the progress of their post techniques and skills in shooting for these post techniques over the series. They got the flares and casings from stock (some guys have a web site with it all. I can't remember where it is though. Might be that detonation films)
It's an interesting way to amuse yourself on weekends anyway.
Murray, do you know Stuart Bender? Does he have a Website if you know the guys who made this series and the other vids can you pass along their website or info... I would love to discuss some things with them.

Thanks!
Jason Bodnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2008, 02:50 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Here's a great series of tutorials including one on how to do a muzzle flash:

VideoCopilot.net Video Tutorials & Post Production

And here's an AE plugin that does something similar:

FXhome.com :: Products :: MuzzlePlug :: Overview

It's $180. And I wondered why anyone would pay that much for something that can be done for free in AE. Then I saw the machine gun scenes and realized that it would be a huge time-saver. If I ever had to do a project with tons of gunfire, I'd get it.

Here's a before/after clip using Video Co-pilot's techniques. The slide was also "actuated" and a shell can be seen kicking out of the ejection port. Sound effects complete the illusion.

http://basetwoproductions.com/videos/rubber_gun.mov

Last edited by Dean Sensui; September 21st, 2008 at 02:58 PM. Reason: added info & URL
Dean Sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2008, 11:09 PM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Bodnar View Post
Murray, do you know Stuart Bender? Does he have a Website if you know the guys who made this series and the other vids can you pass along their website or info... I would love to discuss some things with them.

Thanks!
Yeah, I shot their last couple of things actually. I'm not sure if he's got a website or blog or anything though. I shall ask.
Murray Christian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2008, 12:34 AM   #13
Inner Circle

You could perhaps go to an approved outdoors range, set up a greenscreen, lock off a camera on a tripod and fire the real thing, maybe with the shooter wearing a green glove.
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2008, 03:57 AM   #14
Inner Circle

Toys are definitely better. They are light (some people have a real pain to realistically hold huge heavy gun .). They are quiet. even if you used blank fire gun , you would know they are impossible to use indoor or outdoor at anytime because the real loud bang. so just imagin using them at night in a building or in the streets....
Blank firing gun are dangerous. they can not be pointed on people (they can eject small parts) , they produce a flame at the tip, the ejected cartridge is very hot, it smell bad, the loud bang makes you grin or can make you deaf. and they cost the hell....
I got a case full of airsoft gun (including the Berretta you can see in all series) , plus one blank Beretta model (for special take).
Some toys are electrically fired, so they really act like the real ones, including cartridge ejection , even on machine gun.
Just take a look on the web, there is plenty of shop selling on the web.

just an sample of what is available....
http://www.trinityairsoft.com/

http://www.wolfarmouries.co.uk/default.asp?page=gun
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2008, 08:52 AM   #15
Inner Circle

In this 48Hour Film Project shoot, we had no time to CG muzzle flash in. See shot at end of film. I never had anyone comment on the lack of it... the imagination just seems to fill in whats missing in the brief shot.. We used a non firing prop gun.

Death for Rent on Vimeo

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Digital Compositing and Effects