Lost in a Timewarp at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Digital Compositing and Effects
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Digital Compositing and Effects
After Effects, Shake and everything else.

Old October 30th, 2008, 02:02 PM   #1
Trustee

Lost in a Timewarp

I need to use AE's Timewarp effect but I feel like a real gumby since I can't get it to do what I want. Here's my story:

- Create a new comp by dragging the clip from the project bin to the new comp control. This makes a cop the same length as the clip.
- Set the work area bar to the portion of the footage I want to use.
- Right click on the work area bar and trim comp to work area bar
- Apply timewarp effect to clip in comp and set speed to 50

Simple enough, right? Not really. When I press "0" on the number pad to start the preview, it somehow applies the effect beginning with the start of the clip, not the beginning of the comp. I'm clearly doing something wrong here.

Does anyone have any recommendations on a better way, or does anyone know of a good resource on the Web where I could learn more about this effect? I've did a bunch of searching here and elsewhere, including Video Copilot but haven't found anything helpful.

TIA
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2008, 07:47 AM   #2
Major Player

What specifically about Timewarp do you want to use? I've never really used it and what you describe happens when I try and use it as well (I was hoping precomposing first might get around it but it doesn't). It does have some nice options though.
However a simple 50% speed up or slow down is easily done by using the layer's time stretch adjustment (right click on the layer->Time->Time Stretch) or the graph and that problem doesn't appear.
(obviously it's better to figure out why the effect seems to do what it does, but if you need a simple time adjustment right now that's one way to do it, is all I'm saying.)
Murray Christian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2008, 11:35 AM   #3
Trustee

Murray... I want to take the footage and slow it by 50% and have AE's Timewarp tween frames with the pixel motion function. I used Timewarp about nine months ago with some stunning results, and some that were simply rubbish.

Since the footage is 24p I want to maintain the motion smoothness at the reduced frame rate. I guess I could look at Time Stretch and see what frame blending will do for me. It might be enough.

My guess is that AE's Time Stretch and PP's Time Remapping are equivalent functions. If one offers no benefits over the other, and I can't get Timewarp to work, I'll just frame blend in Premier Pro with Time Remapping, although I'd rather not.

Timewarp is a really powerful tool that, as I said before, can create some wonderful footage but I haven't been able to figure out/remember how to use it. That's the problem with an old brain. I've not found any good tutorials on the Web, and of course the Adobe help file is just rubbish.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2008, 04:39 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripp Woelfel View Post
I need to use AE's Timewarp effect but I feel like a real gumby since I can't get it to do what I want. Here's my story:

- Create a new comp by dragging the clip from the project bin to the new comp control. This makes a cop the same length as the clip.
1 Set the work area bar to the portion of the footage I want to use.
2 Right click on the work area bar and trim comp to work area bar
3 Apply timewarp effect to clip in comp and set speed to 50

TIA
Try doing it in this order 3, 1, 2.
Jim Montgomery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2008, 10:54 PM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Montgomery View Post
Try doing it in this order 3, 1, 2.
Aha! Makes sense. Can you explain to me why this works this way? The effect clearly has some idiosyncrasies (or I'm an idiot), and I'd love to understand the concept a bit better.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Digital Compositing and Effects