Magic Bullet Mojo, anyone using it? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Digital Compositing and Effects
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Digital Compositing and Effects
After Effects, Shake and everything else.

Old November 13th, 2010, 10:08 PM   #1
Major Player

Magic Bullet Mojo, anyone using it?

Friends,

I am doing some research about the endless topic of 'film look'. Specifically about tools that do most of the job for you. I use a Canon 7D and I edit with Final Cut Pro.

I came across this software / plug in called 'Magic Bullet Mojo' and I am kind of blown away by the results I found. I watched several videos online but just these two kind of sold it to me:

YouTube - ww2 short film canon 550D standard footage no effects no mojo HD

YouTube - ww2 short film canon eos 550D test magic bullet mojo war 1.2 HD

Anyone with experience using this software?

Input very much appreciated!!
Ben Tolosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2010, 12:13 PM   #2
Major Player

Hi Ben

I own the MB Suite, which includes Mojo. Although I haven't had time (or projects) to really use Mojo, I think it's a really cool plug in. And I have used Colorista (now Colorista 2) and MB Looks on past projects.

I shot this with the new Canon XF300 camera and used Colorista and Mojo (sparingly :)

Best,

PS--MB Suite also comes with other plug ins, like a damaged and cracked filmstrip look (which I've used), and a de-noiser (haven't used yet) that's supposed to be really good as well.
Old November 17th, 2010, 10:11 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Jeff!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Anselmo View Post
Hi Ben

I own the MB Suite, which includes Mojo. Although I haven't had time (or projects) to really use Mojo, I think it's a really cool plug in. And I have used Colorista (now Colorista 2) and MB Looks on past projects.

I shot this with the new Canon XF300 camera and used Colorista and Mojo (sparingly :)

OhNo Fast then Slow! on Vimeo

Best,

PS--MB Suite also comes with other plug ins, like a damaged and cracked filmstrip look (which I've used), and a de-noiser (haven't used yet) that's supposed to be really good as well.
Hey Jeff,

Well, thank you for the advice; I appreciate it. Very cool job you did. Did you shoot it 24p? Did you crank it to 30p in post? Or just shot it in 30p?

Did you use the XF300's lens?

I am already sold on Mojo, I am going to give it a shot for 99 bucks because all I want is a quick tool to get film look and preserving the skin tones. I could get similar results with Color but takes me a lot more time to do so.

Thanks for you message!!
Ben Tolosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2010, 11:06 AM   #4
Major Player

Hi Ben,

Sorry for the late reply!

That was shot with the XF300 stock lens (as the 300/305 doesn't have interchangeable lenses), and I believe at 24p.

The shot where my wife is cleaning up the yard was ramped up in Premiere Pro CS5; but all the slow mo/overcrank was done in camera.

And yeah, I'd definitely check out/download Mojo, and try it out :)

Best,
Old January 21st, 2011, 11:39 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I agree, Mojo is fantastic for a quick solution. Having said that, I prefer to use Colorista 2, sometimes with Magic Bullet on jobs that require more time and effort. There's more range and a more unique look for your film. Afterall, you probably wouldn't want *all* your films to have that same look.

Here's a music video I've only just finished. It was on a very tight deadline and I didn't have enough post production time to colour after compositing my FX, so I used Mojo exclusively to get it out the door:

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Digital Compositing and Effects