Reverse telecine (24p to 60i) question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Digital Compositing and Effects
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Digital Compositing and Effects
After Effects, Shake and everything else.

Old July 7th, 2011, 10:53 AM   #1
Wrangler

Reverse telecine (24p to 60i) question

Have some footage that was shot 24p that needs to be matched to a 60i program. Any thoughts on best way to conform it? Something that can interpolate the missing fields to alter the motion cadence? I'm sure it won't be perfect but I imagine this isn't impossible.
Old July 7th, 2011, 11:25 AM   #2
Kino-Eye

Re: Reverse telecine (24p to 60i) question

You can accomplish this conversion with either Episode Pro, the Nattress plug-ins for Final Cut Pro 7, or Apple's Compressor. What platform are you working with?

24p to 60i would not be reverse telecine, as you would be adding the pulldown cadence to go from 24p to 60i.
Old July 7th, 2011, 12:35 PM   #3
Wrangler

Wassup Tames!

I'm in FC7 and have Compressor. I have the Nattress plug-ins too. Which one would best do this? Please to explain.
Old July 8th, 2011, 08:35 AM   #4
Kino-Eye

There are two options when converting from 24p to 60i with Compressor.

(1) Do you prefer smooth motion and the temporal interpolation to be spread across all frames? Then you'd choose "Best" settings for the conversion in compressor.

(2) If you prefer frames 1,2,3 to be "clean" and only frames 4,5 of each 5 frame set to be "interpolated" then you would choose the fast settings.

I've attached images of the Compressor settings and three HDV movies:

HDV-24p-Original.mov (the original 24p movie)

HDV-60i-Output-Fast.mov (conversion output using the "fast settings' with crisper image and faster conversion)

HDV-60i-Output-HQ.mov (conversion output using the "best settings' for smoother temporal conversion)

It's instructive to loop these and look at them on both a progressive and interlaced display at full screen. It's also interesting to note that the conversion of the "fast" version took about 15 second on my laptop, but the "best" took like 90 seconds, so a long piece of footage is probably better converted on faster hardware :-)

David.
Attached Thumbnails
Reverse telecine (24p to 60i) question-1.-compressor-video-settings.png   Reverse telecine (24p to 60i) question-2.-compressor-video-settings-panel.png  

Reverse telecine (24p to 60i) question-3.-compressor-frame-controls-crisper-frames.png   Reverse telecine (24p to 60i) question-4.-compressor-frame-controls-smooth-motion.png  

Attached Files
File Type: mov HDV-24p-Original.mov (3.17 MB, 243 views)
File Type: mov HDV-60i-Output-Fast.mov (3.30 MB, 234 views)
File Type: mov HDV-60i-Output-HQ.mov (3.19 MB, 236 views)
Old July 8th, 2011, 10:46 AM   #5
Wrangler

Genius. Thanks. I'll let you know how it works out.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Digital Compositing and Effects