Sliding square video mask/effect at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Digital Compositing and Effects

Digital Compositing and Effects
After Effects, Shake and everything else.

Old January 24th, 2013, 07:27 PM   #1
New Boot

Sliding square video mask/effect

Does anyone recognize the sliding square mask/effect used in the intro of this video? How can I get a similar effect?

Thanks!
Old January 25th, 2013, 04:29 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Sliding square video mask/effect

These are pretty complicated to make usually. This one probably came in a stock pack of them where it's just a matter of inserting the video clips you want to use and changing the text.
I can't seem to find any right now of the sort I used to see at my old work years ago. I suspect the squillions of one-offs and templates people sell on the net now has killed that market
Murray Christian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2013, 09:29 PM   #3
New Boot

Thanks. I haven't been able to find any similar video masks like this that I can use as an intro.
Old January 28th, 2013, 06:56 AM   #4
Trustee

I'm not sure about ready-made masks, but it looks like a simple PSD file (the black lines), where the boxes are animated to slide over the video. Pretty basic - no need for masks.
Old January 31st, 2013, 03:46 PM   #5
Major Player

For an intro that is going to be used multiple times with small variations to titles, it would not be too terrible an undertaking. That's half a day's work for 13 seconds of high impact video that you will use over and over.
Old January 31st, 2013, 04:59 PM   #6
Major Player

Since I use after effects/photoshop for everything this would be pretty easy but time consuming.

Build the object in PS - and import the layers independently, then I would start building Null object groups and individually start animating the slides/opacity/text and group them together differently and do a variety of animation rates. Yeah its time consuming, but if you build it the right way, it will be reuseable and if there is a good null hierarchy built you can easily build in variation.

If you are looking for pre-canned versions of this stuff, good places to check out are sites like VideoHive.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Digital Compositing and Effects