Suggestions for a small inhouse render farm? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Digital Compositing and Effects
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Digital Compositing and Effects
After Effects, Shake and everything else.

Old January 17th, 2007, 05:29 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Suggestions for a small inhouse render farm?

We just finished a big project with a lot of compositing in AE and big renders in Compressor and FCP. For a while we had QMaster set up on about 6 other machines here, and it worked great with Compressor (though couldn't get it to work with AE or FCP). Then, it inexplicably just stopped working, and could not get it working again. arg!

We're anticipating some other larger projects coming in the future, and would like to set something up to help utilize our other Macs to help during off hours. this "5 days remaining" in the render window just aint cool.

We're using MacG5s duals and quads, OSX, mostly using AE, Compressor and FCP, but just getting into Shake as well. Any suggestions on software/hardware to help us would be fantastic! thanks!
Eric Kome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2007, 06:28 PM   #2
Trustee

There is a program called Gridiron for network rendering in the PC AE. Not sure if it comes with Mac version. There also is another ad-on that implements dual core usage when used in a network render. I can remember the name right now.
Old January 18th, 2007, 04:42 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Gridiron is best for AE, but AE can network render for free. You have to install the AE render engine on all machines and set it up for network rendering. There are plenty of resources out there for doing this, including the Adobe website (see their fora, and resources pages). The network render can also be scripted within AE, try looking at www.aenhancers.com for appropriate scripts (there are many other interesting things there).

For Shake, you're already on the right track with Qmaster. You could even look into XGrid for other applications, if all else fails.

Since you're on macs, you should consider a dedicated farm of minis, which for $:Mhz ratio are best.
Conor Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2007, 10:57 AM   #4
Regular Crew

thanks for the replys. what would be nice, is to have one software/system that could work for all of our rendering in all of our programs... i'll look into that XGrid too, as this Qmaster has worn out my patience.

i do recall someone on here (may have been you Conor) using the minis as a render farm. it's a great idea...
Eric Kome is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Digital Compositing and Effects