FCC proposes ban on certain wireless mics at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old August 22nd, 2008, 12:21 PM   #1
Inner Circle

FCC proposes ban on certain wireless mics

Proposal:
washingtonpost.com

Vote unanimous:
http://www.broadcastingcable.com/article/CA6589511.html
Old August 22nd, 2008, 01:13 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Thanks for posting this as well. I posted about his in a couple other categories as I felt it was very important for some people to know also. Thank goodness I purchased in the 600 range!

One videographer I edit for thinks Sennheiser might do something for their customers like change out the frequencies if they send them back. Let's hope so!
Matt Headley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2008, 02:07 PM   #3
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Headley View Post
I posted about his in a couple other categories ...
I have withdrawn those posts from public view. Please don't cross-post on this site.

One topic = one thread. Thanks in advance,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2008, 03:27 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Headley View Post
One videographer I edit for thinks Sennheiser might do something for their customers like change out the frequencies if they send them back. Let's hope so!
What makes him think this? They have already stated that they have no plans to change out their block 'C' for any other block. Basically you're stuck from what I can tell. Lectrosonics and Zaxcom are still trying to figure it out.

Wayne
Old August 22nd, 2008, 03:45 PM   #5
Trustee

The FCC can have my wireless mics when they pry them from my cold, dead, heavily fined and taxed fingers.

Bring it on you regulatory bureaucratic weenies.

Now where did I place my tin foil hat? It helps block the interference.

-Ethan Cooper
Ethan Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2008, 03:53 PM   #6
Slash Rules!

Well this certainly sucks! I don't use my G2 that often, just enough to justify owning it, and now I have to buy a new one?
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2008, 01:22 AM   #7
Major Player

I guess we've all seen it coming. It's entirely likely that the current wireless technology will be completely illegal within the next few years. Here's hoping the mic companies are working on some kind of alternative.

They'd almost have to be unless they want to lose a pretty large revenue stream, I'd think.
Old August 24th, 2008, 01:55 AM   #8
Slash Rules!

Not to mention scewing every sound guy, A/V company, and videographer who needs sound out of usable non-wired equipment.

Oh yeah, and will they simply cease to work anymore, or will they work, but be forbidden?
Old August 25th, 2008, 03:26 AM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Bass View Post
Not to mention scewing every sound guy, A/V company, and videographer who needs sound out of usable non-wired equipment.

Oh yeah, and will they simply cease to work anymore, or will they work, but be forbidden?
There is still a LOT of unknowns about this. However as it stands now, the only manufacturer that really has an answer to this is Zaxcom. Basically they have turned their wireless into a digital recorder with time code. You put mini-SD cards into the wireless unit and have it start recording. There are some downsides obviously, such as still needing to monitor, but that can be done in the current IFB frequency range (2.4 GHz). This is a major issue for us.

Another scheme looked at by the FCC is that a pay-for-use (like they use in the UK) band would be available, but you would have to pay to use it. Not sure what happened to that one. It may have died in committee, so to speak.

Wayne
Old August 26th, 2008, 08:25 AM   #10
Major Player

Here is a reply from Sennheiser about my concerns.

FAQs: Spectrum Reallocation & White Space

Will the TV spectrum change and affect wireless microphone users?
Yes. The U.S. is in transition from conventional analog TV to digital TV. This is scheduled to be completed in February 2009. At that time, TV channels 52-69 will be reassigned to new services such as emergency communication or auctioned to companies for advanced cell phone and computer applications. This is called the digital dividend. This will affect wireless microphones operating between 698-806 MHz (generically called the 700 MHz band), such as our Evolution Wireless range C systems.

Is this the White Space issue I’ve been hearing about?
No. The White Space debate is separate and distinct from the digital dividend.

Will my C range Evolution Wireless system operate after February 2009?
Yes. You may need to coordinate around new types of services that will begin to emerge in this range after that date. These services will become active over time so many may not appear for years. Visit our web site or call our help desk periodically to stay up to date on developments in your area.

Will it be legal to operate my C range Evolution Wireless system after February 2009?
As of now, yes. The February 2009 deadline for broadcast services to vacate the 700 MHz band only pertains to full power TV stations. The FCC has not set a deadline for low power broadcast systems and equipment. We do predict this band will eventually be restricted.

I just bought an Evolution Wireless in the C range system a couple months ago. Can I trade it in for an A or B range system now?
No, but if FCC regulations do change and prohibit its operation in 2009, any one who bought a C range system before 2008 will have the opportunity to get a rebate when they purchase a new Sennheiser wireless system.
100 series C range system: Rebate = $420 – ($10 x month of ownership)
300 series C range system: Rebate = $800 – ($20 x month of ownership)
500 series C range system: Rebate = $1000 – ($25 x month of ownership)

I already have 16 channels operating range A and B. How can I add more channels to my system?
Contact one of our RF application engineers. We have a wide variety of options, including custom antenna systems with precision filtering that will allow using more channels within a limited area of spectrum.

What is the White Space debate?
There are proposals being considered by Congress that would allow new consumer electronic devices to operate in the TV bands. If passed, this legislation would also affect wireless mic users. However, many steps will need to happen before any of the proposals come to a vote.

If the legislation is passed, has there been any consideration for preventing interference to wireless mics from proposed white space devices?
Yes, the FCC has acknowledged the need to prevent interference to digital TV and wireless mics from white space devices (WSD). The FCC is currently conducting tests on WSD prototypes. Any WSD submitted to the FCC for consideration must include a sensing feature that “sniffs” the air for active frequencies and avoids them. Lab tests are being conducted now. Field test will be conducted later this year. We will keep you posted on developments.

JC 7/3/08
Greg Laves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2008, 08:41 AM   #11
Obstreperous Rex

Many thanks for posting this, Greg -- much appreciated!

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2008, 11:26 AM   #12
Slash Rules!

Oh. . .so we're all freakin' out over nothin'?

PS, Chris Hurd, every time I've tried to reply to a topic in the last week or so, I get a "invalid link specified" message. I have to go back in my browser to the page before I tried to reply, do it again, and then it's fine. I don't know if it's just a Safari thing or what.
Old August 26th, 2008, 11:32 AM   #13
Trustee

Josh - Does it on Firefox too.

-Ethan Cooper
Ethan Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2008, 11:58 AM   #14
Slash Rules!

I can't tell if you're asking me or telling me, but if you're asking, yes it's doing in Firefox as well.
Old August 26th, 2008, 12:40 PM   #15
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Cooper View Post
Josh - Does it on Firefox too.
Oops, forgot the opening "It".

So when do we get the final word on this mic issue?

-Ethan Cooper
Ethan Cooper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News