News posts from 2004 Q1 - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old February 19th, 2004, 08:14 PM   #46
Major Player

Hrmm another interesting thing is, They can control the lenght of light. Imagin the lightsabers in Starwars.. Didn't some science people figure out that lightsabers woud never work? One can not stop light or control light to just become a certain length.. Well, the this apparatus just proved them wrong? Or did it?

It would also be totally useless in windy conditions.. Outside is not even to talk about. But even the circulation in ones home would make this thing very unaccurate to produce good pictures..

I still don't believe in it..
Andreas Fernbrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2004, 04:27 AM   #47
Major Player

Something that looks suspect to me is that they are taking orders for such a revolutionary device so early. It would be like me inventing a civilian space ship that can go to Mars in 2 days, and then taking orders for it. It may not be a total hoax though, it may just not work as good as they claim.
Glenn Gipson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2004, 04:51 AM   #48
Contributor

cu-vh1 images

Ciao

http://www.jvc-victor.co.jp/press/2003/cu-vh1.html

here a image of cu-vh1

Francesco
Francesco Marano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2004, 05:25 PM   #49
New Boot

High Definition (HD) video editing

Found this at ATI's website:

"ATI PCI Express Demonstration
ATI is being joined by Intel® and Pinnacle® Systems to demonstrate High Definition (HD) video editing on a PC at Intel Developer’s Forum in San Francisco the week of February 17th, 2004.
Made possible by PCI Express’s high speed data transfers, the demonstration has to use the industry’s only true PCI Express visual processing unit (VPU). ATI’s PCI Express VPU, in conjunction with the advanced real time HD engine being developed by Pinnacle, takes advantage of the new read and write capabilities offered by PCI Express.

The future is here, stay tuned to see it first with ATI."

-http://www.ati.com/products/PCIexpress/index.html

The future is here!!! :)
Emilio
Emilio Olivares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2004, 10:50 PM   #50
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

BBC News: "Digital video frees film-makers"

An interesting, albeit a bit patronizing, perspective.

Quote regarding "November"
Quote:
"You can't tell that we shot it on a consumer camera, it just looks like a regular movie.",
Greg Harrison, Director
Gee, 25 DVX100's? Perhaps if you buy that many you can get them for $2,500 ea. as the article states?

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2004, 02:51 AM   #51
Major Player

BBC News: "Digital video frees film-makers"

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/3506803.stm
Old February 23rd, 2004, 08:04 AM   #52
Major Player

25 Cameras? Ummm...what does a director need 25 cameras for? How do you keep people from tripping over that many tripods?
Old February 23rd, 2004, 08:25 AM   #53
Obstreperous Rex

25 cameras, pocket change. Lars von Trier used 100 camcorders for a scene in the the Bjork musical "Dancer in the Dark" a couple of years ago.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2004, 08:31 AM   #54
Trustee

While on the subject though, the fact that a film using this camera got best cinematography at Sundance is absolutely thrilling. I just went through a week of shooting for my first field use of the DVX100A for a short film I wrote and am directing, and while I have nowhere near the talent of the lighting/shooting crew of November, it was amazing how beautiful the footage from this camera can be. It's just MADE for no and low-budget filmmakers.

I am pleased as punch that I stretched my budget to buy this camera. It's been a pretty grueling production because of there being just under a dozen locations, but the last thing I had to worry about was tinkering for hours with the camera. I just decided what I wanted before-hand, saved all my settings, and shoot, shoot, shoot! And I'm especially happy with the way that it handles blown out light - in the occasionally improvised scenario where you just can't fix a blowout somewhere in the background but you don't want to lose the shot, it really controls and encapsulates the blowout in a very satisfactory and almost pleasing way.
Imran Zaidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2004, 07:40 PM   #55
New Boot

DV Camps Shoot & Edit Intensive

Learn by doing! Check out this hands-on Shoot & Edit workshop slated for March 20-21 at the Berkeley Hall School, 16000 W. Mulholland Drive, Los Angeles, CA 90049. Learn to make a short film with insider tips and tricks taught by working Hollywood professionals using all the latest tools and digital technology including the XL1S, DVX100 and FCP 4. For more info visit www.DVCamps.com
Course fee $349
Old February 25th, 2004, 08:34 PM   #56
Trustee

if you do have a highlight "blowout' you can fix it very well in post and make it look like a "film" blowout with a "glow" filter tweaked just right ;) I do it all the time! BUT I really find that cine-gama is for FILMOUT only because normal gama looks so much better and is easer to use for "video" or 24P projects or commercial spots...
Obin Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2004, 10:51 PM   #57
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Please stay on-topic for this thread.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2004, 03:41 AM   #58
Tourist

New A/V Compression Software

Compression Engine 1.5 OS X
Quote:
STOCKHOLM – February 18 – Popwire Technology ships Compression Engine 1.5 OS X, a high performance server based media coding system for Broadcasting companies, media houses, ISP’s and mobile operators who deal with large amounts of content.
Popwire releases Compression Master 2.2
Quote:
STOCKHOLM - February 10 – Popwire announces the release of its new Compression Master 2.2, an unrivalled Mac OS X-based encoder.
For more information please visit http://www.popwire.com or contact:

Robert Ekstrom, CEO
robert.ekstrom@popwire.com
Johan Dahlpil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2004, 08:08 AM   #59
Major Player

Microsoft and HD-DVD

http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1103_2-516...=zdfd.newsfeed
Old March 2nd, 2004, 04:45 PM   #60
Chimera Lighting

Some information about Chimera -Part 1

In December the Chimera Production Department received a huge Christmas present - a computerized blade cutting table. This new machine can cut one or one hundred pieces quickly and efficiently. Each piece is cut with flawless precision, uniformly producing a better product. The cutter ensures better use of our special Chimera fabrics.

Becky Brewer, Chimera Production Manager for the past 18 years says, "To get great sewing you have to start with an accurate cut. The old way of cutting was done with stacks of fabric many layers deep, now each piece is precision cut. With a good cut, a seamstress produces a better quality product. Not only is fabric saved by eliminating poor cuts, the computer also maps out the best arrangement of patterns and makes cuts which are impossible manually. Our home-based sewers are thrilled!"

Our new cutter was purchased from the Eastman Machine Company based in Buffalo, New York. Coincidentally, Eastman Machine was featured in the November 2003 issue of Fortune Magazine as one of America's best manufacturers. (This article is a fascinating read for anyone who has an interest in manufacturing in the USA.)

This new computerized cutting machine is just another example of our commitment to keep our manufacturing here in the USA where we can ensure top quality production and respond quickly to what the market needs.

Image note: Eastman Machine's Charles Tirone works on manufacturing a cutting machine. Image copyright Greg Miller, 2003. www.gregmiller.com

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News