News posts from 2004 Q2 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old April 19th, 2004, 12:22 PM   #16
Regular Crew

I expected more coverage by now

Not too many sites ready to post NAB info. I guess we have to be patient.

Mark
Mark Richman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2004, 12:36 PM   #17
Skyonic New York

http://www.digitalmedianet.com/HTM/HomeSet1.htm

choose any of the links under the "production" title such as dv editor n like

they have a few preliminary articles and some nab product overviews
Robert Mann Z. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2004, 12:49 PM   #18
Regular Crew

So why can't you go direct from camcorder to computer.

I guess they forgot that's what DV does.
Michael Ansbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2004, 12:57 PM   #19
Skyonic New York

DVCPro HD vs HDCAM vs Canopus HQ

http://www.canopus.us/US/products/ED...Canopus_HQ.asp

an interesting look at future, and the codec break down...not sure if dvcpro is the best approach...

i do like fcp though
Robert Mann Z. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2004, 12:57 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Ths site
http://www.digitalmedianet.com/HTM/HomeSet1.htm
has so much junk on the page, nobody can concentrate.

You could try "dead from NAB"
http://www.livefromnab.com/
(there's about a one week delay)

or
http://www.livefromnab.com/
(nightly)
Michael Ansbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2004, 01:18 PM   #21
Major Player

>>So why can't you go direct from camcorder to computer.

I guess they forgot that's what DV does.<<

Because the VariCam was never built with FireWire (FireWire 2 wasn't even invented then.) So therefore you have to buy a special FireWire 2card for a DVCPRO HD Deck.
Glenn Gipson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2004, 01:38 PM   #22
Major Player

Yes, the DMN home page is a bit disorganized, but there are always the component sites. The one I go to most often being http://www.digitalvideoediting.com. A touch less cluttered than Digital Media Net.
Robert Martens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2004, 03:21 PM   #23
Regular Crew

No successor to the xl1 in sight at NAB?

Oh, God! Why? Why?

Cheers, Peter
Old April 19th, 2004, 05:05 PM   #24
MPS Digital Studios

We've got plenty of people at NAB and we'll be posting stuff in specific forums other than just here. Like the Final Cut Pro HD announcement is mentioned in our Apple Editing page and so on.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/forumdisp...?s=&forumid=30

Thanks,

heath
Old April 21st, 2004, 02:57 AM   #25
Wrangler

HD 10 bit editing from Matrox

Matrox finally announces its HD 10 bit editing platform. Due for release later this year.

http://www.matrox.com/video/press/re...HDplatform.cfm

Good things come to those who wait

My Skiing web www.Frostytour.co.uk

For quick answers Search dvinfo.net | The best in the business: dvinfo.net Sponsors
Ed Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2004, 08:39 AM   #26
Regular Crew

Am I blind?

I haven't seen that many reports from NAB yet. Sounds like an uneventful show full of vaporware.

Mark
Mark Richman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2004, 08:44 AM   #27
Tourist

DigiRostrum "Ken Morse Edition" Released

DigiRostrum is a software rostrum camera. Using its intuitive keyframe controls you can track, zoom or rotate a virtual camera across high definition image files, and then render this movement as broadcast quality video.

We have designed this edition of DigiRostrum with Ken Morse, the UK's leading rostrum cameraman. It provides a set of tools that are versatile and powerful enough to meet the needs of demanding high-end users in television post-production, yet its interface is simple and easy to use, allowing even a casual user to quickly produce perfect results.

Since its recent release DigiRostrum is already being used by BBC Arts for all the rostrum work on a new 10 part series about photography and has been widely praised by its users:

"Congratulations on your superb DigiRostrum software. It's truly a delight to use. The ease of use and quality of motion offered by your software is far superior to any competing product." Bill Tondreau (2004 Oscar winner for motion control on Lord of the Rings)

DigiRostrum comes in HD, Pro and DV versions. You can download a demo from our website: www.lumidium.com
Paul Harter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2004, 09:50 AM   #28
MPS Digital Studios

Looks like some of the DVinfo-ers were right: it takes 1.5 to 2 years after announcement to introduce a working prototype. Sony, Canon, etc. announced the partnership with JVC last August or September, so I was doubtful about anything. And the vaporware seems to back that up.

(Though I was excited about the possibilities of new cameras, then disappointed that it's a year or two off, then thrilled that my HD10 is still the only game in town, along with its brother, the HD1.)

heath
Old April 21st, 2004, 10:05 AM   #29
New Boot

NAB impressions

Hello all, just got back from NAB, I was in Vegas from Saturday til Tuesday, spent all of monday on the floor. Here are my impressions:

Awesome production! Alot of people spent a lot of money to impress the suits, and it showed how little what I do matters, the big money is in the News and TV Broadcasting equipment...I had a room at Bally's which was where most of the Sony people were.

Nothing from Canon, their booth was basically showing the XL1s and all of the attachments, lens, etc...

Panasonic had a large display, can't call it a booth, it was on a higher level and was HUGE! as was the Sony area. Most of the cam manufacturers had mock sets and lined the cams up so you could actually use the cameras and lens - awesome. I took a few pics, got one of the Dvx100a with the PS-technik and a 35mm lens on it.

Celebrities, steadicam had the founder of the steadicam there, Trish Meyer was onsite giving a discussion on what she did for the Cold Mountain movie, Scott Kelby was giving a photoshop lecture for nonlinear editors...

Almost spent my whole day at the Adobe venue, the Masterclasses were great, the new versions have answered all of my issues and finally support 24PA...can't wait to get my hands on the new versions, got about 10 copies of the demos....

Walked into the center hall and the Apple area was outrageous! Overwhelmingly huge....the 'arena' was completely filled for every showing of Final Cut pro, Shake, and Motion....they were next to Discreet and it was small compared to Apple...

B&H was there handing out 'show specials' catalogs, and I checked and it didn't seem like 'special pricing'...but they did have every hot piece of hardware so you could try it out...

Nothing was free, the food, the water, drinks cost a lot, and the lines for each was long...

Sony was touting XDCAM everywhere, Panasonic did the same for P2...
There were a hundred companies that I never heard of, but they had large displays and crowds, the business of broadcasting is broad and far reaching...many of the demos at the Adobe Masterclass had Asian and Dutch dialog for both Audition, and PremierePro....

There was this guy sell for $179 and 5inch LCD camera that had a remote transmitter and ran off of a 9 volt battery, definitely got his brochure, didn't wanna spend the cash right there but it was still cool technology...its the same product someone here used and referred to on ebay I think....

Oh, the Vegas booth was small in comparison to Adobe, and puny in comparison to the Apple monolith...but the product demos were really good and awesome!

The Maya announcement for v6 was good too.

Overall, vegas was crazy, the show overwhelming and too much to handle in 1 day!
Kalmin Fullard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2004, 11:16 AM   #30
Regular Crew

Is that all from NAB?

I am always hearing
"wait until NAB"
"wait until NAB"
"wait until NAB"
"wait until NAB"

OK, I waited, I haven't heard anything "that" new or exciting.

Long time videographers, has this year been disapointing compared to other years at NAB?

Is there another show we should be waiting for to see some technology advancements?

Thanks,
Mark
Mark Richman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News