It's about time!! "Final Cut Studio"! - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old April 23rd, 2005, 01:05 PM   #16
Wrangler

okay, here is where i remain confused regarding the graphics card. the apple website has this to say about running Motion:

"One of the following graphics cards is highly recommended: NVIDIA GeForce FX 6800 Ultra DDL or 6800 GT DDL (NV40), ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (RV M11), ATI Radeon 9800 Pro (R350), or 9800 XT (R360)"

Meanwhile their fastest imac and G5 computers, also according to the website, come equipped with the NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 Ultra graphics card--which is not mentioned in the list above, with the exception of their most expensive top-of-the-line PowerMac dual 2.5 ghz, which lists an ATI Radeon 9600 XT as its graphics card.

what am i missing here? do i need to wait for a next-gen computer release to run motion and to keep up with studio, or is the top-line G5 the only unit which currently comes immediately equipped with the right graphics card?

i'm pretty excited about upgrading to studio and had planned to buy a cinema-display screen mac (currently getting a headache from editing on a 15'' G4 powerbook), but i don't want to buy anything until i can be certain that the hardware can support the software.
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2005, 01:13 PM   #17
Trustee

Are you sure it is the 5200? That may well be nVidia's slowest card.
Emre Safak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2005, 01:17 PM   #18
Wrangler

Well I can't speak for version 2, but I'm running the current version on a dual 2.5 G5 with the stock 128MB Radeon 9600 card and haven't seen any problems. Actually, here's the full compatibility list from Apple's site and the NVIDIA 5200 is included:

http://www.apple.com/finalcutstudio/motion/specs.html

One of the following graphics cards:
* ATI Radeon X800 XT Mac Edition
* ATI Radeon 9800 XT (R360)
* ATI Radeon 9800 Pro (R350)
* ATI Radeon 9700 Pro (R300)
* ATI Radeon 9600 XT (RV360)
* ATI Radeon 9600 Pro (RV350)
* ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (RV M11)
* ATI Mobility Radeon 9600 (RV M100
* NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL (NV40)
* NVIDIA GeForce Go5200 (NV34M)
* NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 Ultra (NV34)
* NVIDIA GeForce 6800 GT DDL

I know the tricky thing is getting it to work properly on a G4 (except powerbooks) which requires purchasing the Radeon 9800 or using various hacks to the 9600 from what I've read in Apple's forums. But I would just save my money for a G5 and not bother with Motion on a G4. From everything I've read it is frustratingly slow on anything less than the top of the line dual processor G5 towers. I know there were also lots of complaints that version 1 bogged down to a crawl with any kind of HD projects.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2005, 05:22 PM   #19
Contributor

Will it work reasonably well on a current iBook? Or would that be a definite no-no? FCP 4 ran slowly but could be used on my TiBook G4 at barely 400 MHz so I don't see why it would not work on a +1GHz G4 unless Apple really messed something up. Of course HDV native is probably much more CPU intensive, but I think for DV it should be usable on an iBook. Anybody tried yet?

Last edited by Ignacio Rodriguez; May 2nd, 2005 at 05:24 PM. Reason: Add info
Ignacio Rodriguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2005, 08:08 PM   #20
Wrangler

Motion doesn't run on an iBook due to the graphics card. When you read in the specs that they recommend a 2ghz dual G5 or better that should give you a hint of who they're targeting this application to. If in doubt as to whether it runs on your machine, download the compatability checker here:

http://images.apple.com/motion/pdf/M...v1.0.2.dmg.zip

The requirements for FCP HD 5 are a lot less demanding (but I'm sure it runs best dual G5's). But it doesn't use the graphics card the way Motion does, so it only specs an 867mhz G4. Looks like that would work on your iBook. But forget about Motion on that machine, it's a very different sort of application from FCP.

Now new iBooks have been rumored, so maybe they will change all this. I saw someone run Motion on a 1.33ghz Powerbook and he said he could do basic things. However if you're considering buying Motion then take a few minutes to browse through the forum on Apple's site. There are plenty of complaints about how slow it runs on the dual 2.5 G5...
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2005, 05:30 PM   #21
Major Player

I posted this on another thread, and hope you don't mind if I slip it in here also:

I attended a seminar featuring Final Cut Pro Studio, and even though I am already a FCP user, I was wowed by the demonstration, as was everyone in attendance, judging by the "Ooohs" and "Aahhs." And yes, there were some Avid folks in the group. I don't know what they thought.

Multicam! Up to sixteen streams of video playing in sync. Cut your own "live" show.
Native HDV input. No ridiculous workarounds.
Output H.264 Hi Def to a dvd now, and play it back on the G5 on the Cinema display.
Native support for P2, now.
Also IMX

And Soundtrack Pro. Watch out Pro Tools! Complete integration with FCP. Surround Sound, Multi-channel audio input, amazing noise correction filters.

For anyone serious about a real post production solution, you got to check out FCP Studio on the G5.

Wayne Orr, SOC

Wayne Orr is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News