Sony's NEX cameras - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old May 11th, 2010, 02:47 PM   #31
Major Player

imaging resource has a full review

NEWS! - Digital Cameras, Digital Imaging, Digital Photography, Digital Scanners
Don Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2010, 03:35 PM   #32
Obstreperous Rex

That's not the full Imaging Resource review -- this (linked earlier in this thread):

Link to Imaging resource full review of NEX series cameras

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2010, 06:54 PM   #33
Major Player

Sony USA Link:

NEX Cameras | Sony | Sony Style USA

And this announcment about a new Sony E-mount video camera being released later this year is interesting as well...

http://www.dvinfo.net/news/sony-deve...camcorder.html

Last edited by Bill Koehler; May 11th, 2010 at 07:11 PM. Reason: New Sony E-mount video camera
Bill Koehler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2010, 08:20 PM   #34
Trustee

Holy cow.. Panasonic > Sony ... whose next? All it takes is for Canon to make something like that. All of us with Canon lens would jump onto it with better audio and form factor at least!
Old May 12th, 2010, 12:53 AM   #35
Major Player

New APS-C (S35) camcorder from Sony

It seems that besides the Cinema camcorder prototype that Sony shown at NAB, Sony is developing a more consumer oriented camcorder based on the just revealed NX-5 EVIL camera. Due in fall which means it will beat Panasonic's M4/3 by a margin.

Sneak Peek: New Sony Camcorder in Development SONY make.believe

My only concern, no Canon or Nikon mounts supported, at least initially.

The coming of age of the VDSLR revolution. Rejoice
Emmanuel Plakiotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2010, 01:00 AM   #36
Regular Crew

"Its lack of manual control over video exposure parameters means that the Sony NEX-5 may not be a choice for serious video aficionados"

Sony Alpha NEX-5 Digital Camera Video - Full Review - The Imaging Resource!

bummer dude
Frank Vrionis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2010, 08:00 AM   #37
Inner Circle

I think as a community, we have to be prepared to do this dance for a while. When they release a "still-like" camera, it is not going to fit the bill for pro video work. The manufacturers know that if they did fit the bill with a $600 camera, bye bye to a percentage of the $6,000 sales.

But it is odd to me that consumers would be the target of shallow DOF cameras. Seems like this ilk of camera would be in no man's land. Anyway, I think the smart money is to hold off as long as one can before buying anything. It seems like the camera makers are tip toeing into this space and it might take a while before the good stuff comes out.

Without competitive models, the first versions can get away with being hampered a bit and I think we are all interested to see what/if Canon can come up with.
Tim Polster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2010, 11:53 AM   #38
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmanuel Plakiotis View Post
My only concern, no Canon or Nikon mounts supported, at least initially.
Given the obvious drive on Sony's part to reduce size to the absolute minimum in this class, I wouldn't expect to see Canon or Nikon mount support. And even when it does finally show up from a third party, it is likely to require an external lens support system given the small diameter of the E-mount system.

What interests me is Sony has so far announced:
1. Consumer still camera with video as a secondary function.
2. Consumer video camera with undoubtedly stills as a secondary function.

A new lens system like this begs for a professional NX5U / EX style body to plug into. Is it concievable that Sony will be trying to use the consumer space to drive lens volumes up / costs down, with a range of bodies from point-in-shoot to pro video? Or am I just hallucinating?
Old May 12th, 2010, 12:32 PM   #39
Inner Circle

Bill -

I was looking at the adapter they are supposed to release for the Alpha lenses (buried on their website), looks to me like it actually has a tripod mount on it. Not a big surprise, the "body" is going to be dwarfed by most normal SLR lenses...

It is possible that Sony if trying to introduce a new class of "fast" lenses if they found it just wasn't effective to try to use lenses designed for manual/stills.

While it would be nice to have focus assist, part of the whole attraction of the DSLR is the manual control of DoF... so going all "auto" is sort of counterproductive in some ways...

Also, while that mockup of the video oriented camera used a "handycam" sort of shell, it looked mighty awkward - not something that will appeal to the consumer IMO - a larger, more useful bod with appropriate manual controls would seem far more appropriate, and since this was a "test balloon", I would expect the concept to be refined before it hits the street?
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2010, 01:57 PM   #40
Trustee

That camcorder mock-up is made of wood I believe so that design is far from complete. I read rumors that the NEX7 will have extra video modes besides 1080 60i to compete with the successor of the GH1 so if that ends up true, this mock-up should get them as well. That would be perfect!. This would be the true successor of the HC1 or even the FX7 for that matter. I've been very underwhelmed by camcorders Sony released since the HC1/A1u and I'm really hoping this will deliver. I suppose Sony will make a professional version with an XLR inputs adapter and possibly HD-SDI output.
Paulo Teixeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2010, 02:11 PM   #41
Wrangler

I can't see anything here to get excited about over the current D-SLR lineup from Canon, or the impending (I hope) release of Scarlet.
Old May 12th, 2010, 02:53 PM   #42
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Blackhurst View Post
I was looking at the adapter they are supposed to release for the Alpha lenses...looks to me like it actually has a tripod mount on it.
No surprise at all - and I would expect mounting Canon or Nikon lenses would require the same, though what I had in mind was something plugged into a rail system.

Quote:
It is possible that Sony if trying to introduce a new class of "fast" lenses if they found it just wasn't effective to try to use lenses designed for manual/stills.
No power zoom and the issues of zoom / focus / aperture noise. For the people obsessing about mounting Alpha, Canon, Nikon, <insert brand of choice> lenses, most of those will also need to record second system sound. No way is the typical consumer going to see that as acceptable.

Quote:
While it would be nice to have focus assist, part of the whole attraction of the DSLR is the manual control of DoF... so going all "auto" is sort of counterproductive in some ways...
The average consumer wants brain dead point-n-shoot easy, and the pro cameras, as well as every DSLR out there, have it there as an option, even if you and I ignore it most of the time.

Quote:
Also, while that mockup of the video oriented camera used a "handycam" sort of shell, it looked mighty awkward - not something that will appeal to the consumer IMO - a larger, more useful bod with appropriate manual controls would seem far more appropriate, and since this was a "test balloon", I would expect the concept to be refined before it hits the street?
Personally, I thought it looked pretty cool - the video camera body is about the same size as the lens!
I didn't think it looked any more awkward than the HDR-HC9 I already have.
Matter of fact, I thought it had a definite family resemblance.
And we certainly have been watching manual controls slowly disappear in the HDR line.

The larger more useful bod with appropriate manual controls you allude to I believe will end up being a third, yet unannounced, professional NX5U or EX style cam - something more likely to be announced at the next NAB, say. If nothing else, Sony is demonstrating the size of the camera doesn't have to explode just because the sensor size has.
Old May 12th, 2010, 03:02 PM   #43
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Couper View Post
I can't see anything here to get excited about over the current D-SLR lineup from Canon, or the impending (I hope) release of Scarlet.
Leaving aside a camera that's going to cost infinite times more money for a fully functional interchangeable lens unit which I want badly, compared to a Canon DSLR, it should (hopefully) have far, far less aliasing and moire and not to mention far better ergonomics. I mean, this camera will be fully ENG capable out of the box.
Paulo Teixeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2010, 09:46 AM   #44
Wrangler

Paulo, I'm missing something then. What makes the NEX ENG capable out of the box? Actually, I'm not even sure what makes something ENG capable vs. not capable?

I don't see anything special about the ergonomics either. It's still a big chunk of box once you attach a lens to it, not remotely handy for holding to shoot video (but very sexy!)

I'm not sure what you are talking about an infinitely more expensive unit either. a Canon 7D is what... $1600 now? $1800 with kit lens? a T2i is... $800? That's pocket change if you shoot video for a living.

The big problem I see is the selection of lenses. What is there really for this camera compared to Canon and Nikon?

Again, I could be totally missing the point, but to me it looks like just one more consumer mini-D-SLR with cheap lenses and a video mode.
Old May 13th, 2010, 10:33 AM   #45
Trustee

Sorry, I thought you were talking about the mock-up camcorder that Sony showed.

Plus I meant a fully functional Scarlet being a lot of money.

Just a big misunderstanding.

Anyway, after looking at several clips from the NEX5 and reading up on the manual features, it's definitely no competition to the GH1 but I do see it as big competition for the GF1 as far as video goes. For one thing, the GF1's chip only outputs 30 frames per second while it get's recorded as 720 60p and the GF1 lacks a movable screen. Now who's to say Panasonic wont be releasing the GF1's successor anytime soon.
Paulo Teixeira is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News