DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Digital Video Industry News (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-video-industry-news/)
-   -   Apple insider reports new FCP at NAB (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-video-industry-news/494157-apple-insider-reports-new-fcp-nab.html)

Bill Davis April 5th, 2011 08:07 PM

Apple insider reports new FCP at NAB

The Apple Insider site has posted a story indicating that the NAB FCP Supermeet will be totally taken over by Apple in order to release the new FCP.

Big guns like Kevin Smith and Phillip Bloom have supposedly been bumped from the agenda so Apple can have the whole show.

Wow.

David Knaggs April 5th, 2011 10:30 PM

Re: Apple insider reports new FCP at NAB

The Supermeet website has just been updated:

Tenth Annual Las Vegas SuperMeet || Final Cut Pro User Group Network

"Agenda (UPDATED!)

The Final Cut Pro User Group Network is excited to have a very special guest presentation at the 10th Annual Las Vegas FCPUG SuperMeet. Come to see a surprise sneak peek at something very special - you really do not want to miss this one!"

So it might not be the actual release. Just a "sneak peek" at this stage.

Calvin Bellows April 5th, 2011 11:01 PM

I wish I had tickets to the super meet.... I would love to see an Apple launch.

Chris Hurd April 5th, 2011 11:05 PM

Their sold-out status appears to be only temporary. Keep checking.

Floris van Eck April 6th, 2011 01:08 AM

This is going to be awesome... no better place to announce it. Congratulations Michael and staff!

Andy Wilkinson April 6th, 2011 02:36 AM

All the cores and RAM on my Mac Pro have been waiting for this. Let's hope I can finally put them all to work.

Michael Liebergot April 6th, 2011 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Knaggs (Post 1635867)
So it might not be the actual release. Just a "sneak peek" at this stage.

David, I think that this might be very close to the actual release, as they're going to finally show it to people not under with the NDA.

Here's to wishing for the ability to natively edit AVCHD footage like Premiere, Vegas, Edius and the like.
Come on Apple step up.

Heath McKnight April 6th, 2011 08:24 AM

No one bigger than Apple could've bumped Smith, Bloom, Avid, Canon and others off the stage.

David Parks April 6th, 2011 08:33 AM

I've always been intrigued with Apple's marketing strategy.

1. Build up application support for your hardware by encouraging other companies like Adobe, Avid, Autodesk to develop on your platform and charging pretty hefty licensing fees.

2. Compete directly with those same companies and bump them off the stage. :)

I look forward to seeing what Apple rolls out in their demo of what we presume is FCP X, but you gotta know that those other companies have got to be a little frustrated.

Colin McDonald April 6th, 2011 08:35 AM

Maybe they'll just be telling us that big Steve doesn't see any more future for AVCHD than he does for Flash and Blu-ray :-)

Allan Barnwell April 6th, 2011 03:25 PM

If you are like me, expectations for an event like this can start to run really high.

I think I'm going to step back a bit and take the wording on the SuperMeet website literally as was suggest in a post above. This is likely going to be a "preview", with Apple's typical "summer" or "fall" generalities as to release date.

I'm sure there will be some good stuff shown, but much like planning your next production schedule around the upcoming Convergent Design Gemini, there will be some patience required. We'll still have months of work to get through with the tools at hand.

Allan Barnwell
Omega Broadcast Group - Professional Video Sales, Rental & Services

Zach Love April 6th, 2011 03:28 PM

I'm thinking if I lower my expectations that it ends up being four hours of Steve Jobs trying to get FCP users to buy into a time share in Wyoming. That way whatever really happens, I won't be disappointed.

(FCS 3 had some nice improvements. I like that compressor can run & I can still edit, but I was hoping for sooooo much more.)

Heath McKnight April 6th, 2011 03:28 PM

I was at the big-time Apple event at the Venetian (if I remember correctly) at NAB 2007, and it was just awesome! When they mentioned their partnership with RED, the place went wild.

heath

Allan Barnwell April 6th, 2011 04:45 PM

I used to love those Apple events at NAB too. It will be nice to have Apple presenting something again.

Allan Barnwell
Omega Broadcast Group - Professional Video Sales, Rental & Services

Rick Presas April 7th, 2011 11:26 AM

I think the new FCP will be announced, and something tells me they'll be releasing an FC express/lite type app for ipads.