Vimeo Launches PRO Service at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old August 1st, 2011, 05:53 AM   #1
Obstreperous Rex

Vimeo Launches PRO Service

Video hosting for small businesses, $199/year for 50GB and 250k views.

Check it out: Vimeo Launches PRO Service at DVInfo.net

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2011, 10:01 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Vimeo Launches PRO Service

Huh?

Standard account: $199 for 50GB & 250k views.
Upgrade of 50GB extra for $199 or 100k extra views for $199?!? Why are the upgrades less value than the initial account? If I needed more, why wouldn't I just start up a second account & save money?
Old August 1st, 2011, 04:42 PM   #3
Major Player

They are offering businesses the opportunity to sell, market, monetize, make money, and earn a profit through their video's. For most people, who are not operating a business, Vimeo Pro is a better deal. The change makes sense. Vimeo needs to keep up with their competitors.
David Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2011, 10:02 PM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Rice View Post
For most people, who are not operating a business, Vimeo Pro is a better deal.
David, by the context of your statement, I think you meant to say that Vimeo Plus is a better deal... ?

Old August 2nd, 2011, 05:18 AM   #5
Major Player

The is some brief reference to a higher quality signal, the question is of it is higher quality than Vimep PLus or just free Vimeo. I would pay more for clearly superior quality.

Also there was no mention of weekly upload limits, another distinct advantage.
Philip Lipetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2011, 06:56 AM   #6
Obstreperous Rex

How to get started with Vimeo Pro (offsite link):

How to Get Started with Vimeo Pro on Onlinevideo.net – Online Video Strategies, Platforms, News, and Tips

Old August 2nd, 2011, 07:18 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach Love View Post
Huh?

Standard account: $199 for 50GB & 250k views.
Upgrade of 50GB extra for $199 or 100k extra views for $199?!? Why are the upgrades less value than the initial account? If I needed more, why wouldn't I just start up a second account & save money?
That is odd, I get what you're saying. Seems cool, I definitely like the customizable skin players (always looks cheesy seeing "Vimeo" in the corner of peoples demo reels or wedding vids). Seems cool & a timesaver from adding & learning Flash video. not sure about the limit on views?! By hosting via sites like GoDaddy can't you use unlimited bandwith? I suppose Vimeo Pro is a huge time saver & avoids alot of problems with sites maintenance & troubleshooting. I guess things I produce dont' get anywhere near 250K views, but it looks like that's the port total, not views per vid. Buying an addt'l 100K for $199 does seem odd, and a bit high.
David Barnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2011, 07:20 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Lipetz View Post

Also there was no mention of weekly upload limits, another distinct advantage.
What are the upload limits with Vimeo PRO?

Vimeo PRO gives you 50 GB of upload space per year up to 5GB per upload. Members can buy 50GB add-on storage packages in the Vimeo Store.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It looks like it's an annual upload limit, not weekly.
Old August 2nd, 2011, 07:44 AM   #9
Major Player

I would think 50 Gb is plenty of space for a video portfolio site. After all, you only need to show snippets of your best work and it should be kept up to date. (which the latter is my own big procrastinated task).

Looks very interesting.
Old August 9th, 2011, 01:10 AM   #10
Trustee

I wish that this was released a year ago. It would have saved my main client about $5k between web design and monthly storage costs - that even includes an extra 50GB & 100k views which they would need. To get a website designed with a Vimeo style CMS (Content Management System) would cost at least $5,000. However, my client's website does not re-encode anything but we chose only 720x480 whereas I would love to have both 720p & 480p. (it would cost too much $$ for the web developers to add this functionality)

I am debating whether I want to upgrade my Plus account for $139 or add the Pro account as a separate entity. I really like having the ability for producers to watch videos and make remarks on the web page.
Steve Kalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2011, 08:55 AM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kalle View Post
I wish that this was released a year ago. It would have saved my main client about $5k between web design and monthly storage costs -
Thanks Steve. I have a question for you, just general web hosting. Am I wrong that GoDaddy here would offer 150GB site with unlimited bandwidth for $11.99/mo?? Granted, they won't build the page for you, I'm currently learning and building on myself, but though that seemed like a reasonable rate. Is there addt'l costs or something I'm not seeing?

Web Hosting | Secure Hosting Plans with Unlimited Bandwidth

I guess for the ease for embedding video versus actually encoding it & inserting onto your site it's a fair rate (Vimeo Pro). And the comments & quicker loading I suppose.
Thanks,
Old August 9th, 2011, 12:47 PM   #12
Trustee

Hi David,

I have forgotten a lot from my web design days which was very short due to not liking the coding aspect. However, I do recall something about my client's video being hosted on a few servers across the country to speed up access to people in different parts of the country. I am sending an email to the web design guys who also host the site and I will get back to you. FYI, their site is VisionFriendly.com. One key aspect that many clients want is the streaming download of video versus what Vimeo & youtube do - they download the video to viewers' computers. Our video player only streams so there is no copy on anyone's computer.

Just a thought, but for your site, I would build it so you can embed Vimeo videos. With the Plus account, you can remove just about everything and only show the video within the embedded window.
Old August 9th, 2011, 05:59 PM   #13
Major Player

Shucks. Just when I was learning about Flash and web design it all changes to an easier way.

Thanks though, for your response. I'm about 50% of a web designer. Almost there, but not.
Old August 9th, 2011, 09:25 PM   #14
Trustee

Hi David,

What software are you using to build your website or are you going old school and coding manually with html (NOT fun)?

Back in college, I had to learn how to code manually with html and then moved to Fireworks and Dreamweaver (which was Macromedia at the time and then Adobe bought it). With the latest update to Dreamweaver, it has become a great program which allows designers to be creative and not have to worry as much about manually coding.

However, when someone asks me for a simple website nowadays, I can design it very fast in Photoshop, slice it up and export as html. Also, the website Templatemonster.com has many amazing websites. I have purchased a few and they all are designed in Photoshop and include PSDs for easy adjustment.
Old August 10th, 2011, 07:41 AM   #15
Major Player

I'm using Flash CS4. I've built 2 basic ones using dreamweaver, an old version I think it was a macromedia version). I'm a video guy, and my brain just can't wrap it's head around web design for some reason, esp Flash. however a local center has a 6 week Flash course for $140 (once a week), and it's going great. I've bought several books, and totaltraining.com, I just need to ask questions sometimes.

I know Flash is skeptical as to how much longer it will be relevant, but for the (creative) site I'm making, it does what I'm hoping to do. I should learn Dreamweaver better, is CS5 the newer/better version?
David Barnett is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News