JVC Unveils New GY-HM150 ProHD Handheld Camcorder - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old September 12th, 2011, 07:10 PM   #16
Major Player

Re: JVC Unveils New GY-HM150 ProHD Handheld Camcorder

I think silence on half inch stuff etc is the answer to your question, I mean a 1/2 sensor can't be that big a jump with a few modifications to the current design??

Anyway back into my corner
Adam Letch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2011, 08:48 PM   #17
JVC America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin Bellows View Post
Hey Craig, do you know what the settings are going to be for the time lapse. That was the info that I couldn't find on your website. Also do you know if JVC is work on a 2/3 inch version of their 7XX cameras. I'm looking at getting a few 790's but if there is a 2/3 in the works I may hold out.
Hi Calvin,

The available settings are 1, 3 or 6 frame recording times with a duration interval preset selection of 1 sec., 2 sec., 5 sec., 10 sec., 30 sec., 1 min., 2 min., 5 min., 10 min., 30 min., and 1 hour.

The GY-HM790 will remain our flagship model. We have all of the new components and modules such as our fiber system fully in sync now and we're ramping up our installed base.
Old September 12th, 2011, 08:49 PM   #18
JVC America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Barnes View Post
>>The remote protocol is based on RS-232C, the same one JVC had used before. We're working with a number of manufacturers for the wired remote solution.

Yes thats helpful thanks Craig... so can I assume by the time the camera is shipping there will be a compatible remote available?
We're working with a number of remote manufacturers, and we hope to have the solution available at the time the GY-HM150 ships.
Old September 12th, 2011, 09:00 PM   #19
JVC America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Letch View Post
I think silence on half inch stuff etc is the answer to your question, I mean a 1/2 sensor can't be that big a jump with a few modifications to the current design??
Actually, a change of the imager would greatly alter the size and form of the camcorder.

Have you seen a 1/2" imager handheld camcorder lately, and visually compared it side-by-side to a GY-HM100? The difference in size and weight is significant.

The concept and design of the GY-HM100 and GY-HM150 to be a true handheld camcorder for all level of users. With the positive feedback we've received from the majority of our users, we appear to have achieved our goal.
Old September 12th, 2011, 09:06 PM   #20
JVC America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart Walczak View Post
Interesting camera. The only two things lacking are 4:2:2 codec (how about licencing XDCAM 422 from Sony?) and some waterproof casing.
Quote:
Thanks for clarifying JVC position on the subject, even though it is not what I hoped to hear.
From your inquiries, it looks like you've already narrowed your choices. Good luck with your hunt. There's a lot of options out there...
Old September 13th, 2011, 12:23 PM   #21
Major Player

Frankly, if it were not for the non-continuous change of exposure, we'd have bought two HM100s already. It was the main point that drew us away from the cam. It's a pity that it has not been fixed in this new model.

Every camera we've looked at was a trade-off, and each had this little "if only" thing that it lacked. So please, don't presume anything from my inquiries.
Old September 13th, 2011, 12:36 PM   #22
Major Player

Bart-
Just the fact that Craig is even on this board speaks volumes on how much he/JVC cares....he is the top guy at JVC USA and there are very few people at his level that participate in blogs in general.

Craig-
Good to see you on the board here and congrats on the new camera.

Jim Martin
Filmtools.com
Jim Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2011, 01:11 PM   #23
JVC America

Quote:
Frankly, if it were not for the non-continuous change of exposure, we'd have bought two HM100s already. It was the main point that drew us away from the cam. It's a pity that it has not been fixed in this new model.

Every camera we've looked at was a trade-off, and each had this little "if only" thing that it lacked. So please, don't presume anything from my inquiries.
Please accept my apology for presuming that you've made a decision to purchase another product because of the detailed specifications you've stated as being prerequisites for your camcorder choice. Whether a characteristic of a camcorder is an issue or not may depend on the circumstances of the shot. If your acquisition requires filming dynamic light intensity changes, then perhaps you would fair better with a larger imager camera.

The GY-HM100 was born from direct feed back from our customers, and we have implemented the feature additions and adjustments on the GY-HM150 based on the numerous requests from our users. The very first comment made on this thread regarding the announcement of the GY-HM150 is positive affirmation of this.

All manufacturers work to bring the best of their technologies in their products, and they do care about what they deliver. At the same time, never before has there been as many choices.
Old September 13th, 2011, 02:53 PM   #24
New Boot

Craig, I can't seem to find any reference to a date/time function on this camera?
Is there a way to super a date/time stamp? or is is it only available in some meta data info ?
Carl Sobeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2011, 02:59 PM   #25
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Martin View Post
Just the fact that Craig is even on this board speaks volumes on how much he/JVC cares....he is the top guy at JVC USA and there are very few people at his level that participate in blogs in general.
I could not have said it better myself -- many thanks for posting this, Jim!

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2011, 04:45 PM   #26
JVC America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Sobeck View Post
Craig, I can't seem to find any reference to a date/time function on this camera?
Is there a way to super a date/time stamp? or is is it only available in some meta data info ?
Hi Carl,

There is no on-screen superimposing of the date/time stamp. The date and time is recorded within the meta data of the video file and be seen in the playback GUI.

Hope this helps.

- Craig
Old September 14th, 2011, 02:21 PM   #27
Major Player

Craig,

Thanks for your response, and I apologize for my attitude.

I really wish GY-HM150 did record 4:2:2, and had the continuous exposure resolved. We already own cameras with bigger form factor (both Sony's and JVC's) that serve most of our needs, but we would love to have a smaller camera for the situations where others are too unwieldy. We travel a lot, we shoot a lot of live action close to the water, often on boats, mostly hand-held, often moving the frame from the sky background to foliage/water, sometimes with lavaliers, sometimes without. This is perhaps quite extreme "run & gun", and we do realize that our needs are pretty specific, but I hope you can see why we are looking for continuous exposure change, splashproof housing, and 4:2:2 recording. HM-100 was very close match with NX-50U, and although we loved the controls of HM-100, the exposure factor unfortunately disqualified it. I hoped that HM-150 had this issue resolved, that's essentially it.
Old September 14th, 2011, 08:06 PM   #28
JVC America

No worries, Bart.

Once we get a production GY-HM150 in our hands we'll run some performance tests. I'm curious to see how the new chips enhance the imaging.

We'll have one of the prototype units from IBC, but I don't know at what production level it will be at.

For those in town, the unit will be under plexiglass at Createasphere being held in the New Yorker Hotel, NYC next week. This will be the GY-HM150's US debut.

- Craig
Old September 25th, 2011, 07:24 PM   #29
New Boot

Craig, I'm coming into this thread a little late, I know, but I just wanted to say how much I love the HM100 (so much, in fact, that I bought a second). That said, I was wondering about the possibility of including some of the new functionality of the HM150 in a firmware update for the HM100. Not a free firmware update, of course... I would be completely willing to pay for an update that would bring some of the new functions over to the HM100, such as interval recording and simultaneous recording. I understand that this could affect the sales numbers of your new camera, so I know this is likely not possible, but I just had to ask, for myself and all the HM100 users our there.

Anyway, love your product. Thanks for giving of your time on the forum here.

David Elsea
David Elsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2011, 07:09 PM   #30
JVC America

David,

I'm really glad to hear your positive comments on the HM100. Thanks very much for sharing them.

The new and added features on the GY-HM150U is made possible with the implementation of the processor we use with the HM700 series camcorders. Our product development team went to work as quickly as possible after the release of the HM100 and obtaining the feedback from the field. So, it is not physically possible from a signal processing standpoint to enable the new features on the HM100. The processor in the HM100 is maximizing its fullest potential in order to provide its current features, and we've done the same with the HM150 as well.

There is a thought or belief that the JVC camcorders can be "reflashed" to operate like newer models, but this is simply not the case. The successive generations of products generally have new components, a key one being the processor chip, that enable the new functionality. If this were true, no one would need to purchase new computers with faster processing capabilities to handle the latest software with added features.

JVC pioneered the ability for end users to upgrade their camcorders on their own with the GY-HD100 series. This was risky from a company standpoint, but over the long run we found that our users are extremely competent at this task. These firmware upgrades, though, are designed to optimize an existing feature rather than add new ones.

- Craig

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News