RIP Steve Jobs - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Closed Thread

Old August 28th, 2012, 09:04 PM   #16
Major Player

Re: RIP Steve Jobs

There's a great series of free video podcasts on iTunes by AllThingsD (these are the conferences presented by Walt Mossberg and Kara Swisher) called "Steve Jobs at the D". You can easily find them with an iTunes search.

I watched these a couple of months ago and they cover six appearances from 2003-2010. I was fascinated (particularly in the earlier ones) by how he had a clear vision, but there were a million and one obstacles that had to be handled to bring these various things into existence. For example, in the 2003 podcast (I think) where he was talking about setting up iTunes and mentioned that a major barrier was the record companies' reluctance to buy into the whole thing because of piracy fears. So he told them that he believed that, sure there were people who just love to rip things off, but 80% of people would prefer to do the right thing - if you made it easy for them to do so. Hence iTunes became freely available on both platforms (PC and Mac) and the songs were available for under a dollar. Thus he got them to shift their attention from trying to stop the unstoppable (dedicated pirates) and onto servicing the mass market (the 80% who would prefer to do the right thing).

His greatest point of difference, I think, was that he concentrated solely on the "user experience". Unlike the other dominant IT companies who designed things for corporations or the IT departments, he just wanted to make a great user experience for the individual.

I was reading last week that Apple (in stock market value) is now the "largest" company in the world. One thing's for sure. It was no fluke.
Old August 28th, 2012, 11:22 PM   #17
Inner Circle

Sorry, Allan...........

But if it was 1969, it sure as heck wasn't Gordon Brown (thank God, he was a total loss between 2007 - 2010, I shudder to think what he would have been like in 1969).

It was Harold Wilson (1964 - 1970) as Prime Minister.

CS
Old August 29th, 2012, 12:59 AM   #18
Major Player

Actually, it was Gordon Brown, but on 10 September 2009.
Brown apologised on behalf of the 1954 Conservative Government's action committing Alan Turing to chemical castration for being gay. Unfortunately, some senior politician's attitudes don't seem to have changed that much since.
Old August 29th, 2012, 02:47 AM   #19
Inner Circle

Yes Steve, it was Gordon Brown who said that.

David, yep Steve Jobs saw the whole picture and that's the mark of a genius. And he totally believed it, without reservation, right to his untimely end.

I wish I'd bought more Apple shares and not Facebook.

Cheers.
Old August 29th, 2012, 07:47 AM   #20
Trustee

I've counted 3 taboo topics which have being referenced in this thread so far. Is this a new form of Russian Roulette we are playing? (Oops, this might be a fourth one).
:-)
Old August 29th, 2012, 08:02 AM   #21
Obstreperous Rex

Yes, it is... thanks, all.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News