Canon 2012 NAB teaser - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old March 12th, 2012, 02:48 AM   #31
Major Player

Re: Canon 2012 NAB teaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sareesh Sudhakaran View Post
Video cameras don't need DSLR technology, or its form factor.
+1

The whole trend of the DSRL look is only a trend and as a such I hope it will go away.
Sanjin Svajger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2012, 07:41 AM   #32
Obstreperous Rex

It's been three and a half years... so I wouldn't call it a trend. It's an evolution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmanuel Plakiotis View Post
Also there is a red subtitle that is not readable. Does anyone has the actual invitation, to tell us what is written in the red text?
The red text is an email address at Canon's contracted PR firm to which the recipient can reply with an RSVP.

It was probably blurred out because the invitation is "exclusive." Meaning, by invitation only.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2012, 08:10 AM   #33
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
A company that has probably forgotten how many limbs it has, and whether it has a tail or not. Imagine if the tail strikes gold, and it takes two years for the head to get the news, and that too because another animal has gotten there first! :)
If any portion of your claim was true, then Canon would not have the dominant market share that it enjoys right now. Polaroid is a dinosaur. As is Kodak. Meanwhile Canon and Nikon have clearly evolved to not only survive, but thrive.

Quote:
Video cameras don't need DSLR technology, or its form factor.
Yes and no. Video cameras do not need mirrors, penta-prisms or optical viewfinders. However the carryover from photo to video of large FF and APS-C sensors and the DSP's that run them are a natural and completely logical progression.

Quote:
So is Canon trying to join the two divisions?
Canon merged its pro photo and pro video divisions more than three years ago. I have mentioned this fact many times here since it happened in Oct. 2008, most recently at http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-...ml#post1720164

Old March 12th, 2012, 08:12 AM   #34
Major Player

Wouldn't call it an evolution but rather an revolution. Evolution implies that something has evolved into something better, something more capable of surviving. Camera form will not evolve into a DSLR form. Cameras are ok as they are now. No need to change it into something awful as an DSLR. That's just crazy and totaly unnecessary. What will come out from this revolution is the popularity of the "box" form factor or "brick" form factor if you want to call it like that. That's what has currently been established by the DSLR revolution in the lower end production segment regarding the cameras form factor.

The only reason why canon stuck with the DSLR sort-of look with the C300 is probably because of branding. It's brand building. It's canon. It's "we are the creators of 5D", etc.,etc. Other than that I don't see a reason why one would have to produce a camera that looks like a DSLR. Ergonomically it's a step back. But it's 100% that the next camera from Canon will look like that. I don't want a Hasselbladt, I want a video camera!

And frankly this Canons attitude towards us industry professionals, treating us as consumers is a bit insulting.

Put the big chip into the XF300 body or put it into a box like the FS100 and be done with it. Just don't put it into a DSLR-ish body please.

That's it. Rant over!:)
Old March 12th, 2012, 08:22 AM   #35
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanjin Svajger View Post
treating us as consumers is a bit insulting.
The C300's price tag of $16,000 hardly qualifies as "treating us like consumers."

And none of the HD-equipped photo cameras, not even the pro-level 1D Mk. IV or 1DX, were ever pitched *directly* to professional videographers. They have *always* been still-photo cameras with video capability. It's not like they were foisted upon the video market. It's not like there wasn't any other choice (from Canon or otherwise).

Old March 12th, 2012, 08:35 AM   #36
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post
The C300's price tag of $16,000 hardly qualifies as "treating us like consumers."
What I meant with that was the product branding they are achieving with the C300 form factor. But let them do it. In time of recession good, productive, stable firms are needed. Just don't fall into the hype:)
Which we already did as we are all debating in this thread, I guess...

But still, my rant aside, it's nice to have diversity and different options to chose from within the market!

Edit: I wouldn't mind having a C300 or the next thing they deliver at all:)
Old March 12th, 2012, 10:12 AM   #37
Wrangler

Quote:
Based on Canon's seemingly underwhelming (but actually sound) decision to focus on better sensor performance as opposed to resolution, I would like to venture a guess:

1. APS-C sensor - because I suspect this is a quick reaction to market events, and someone at Canon has had to fight hard for it. If it's a FF sensor, what does that do to the 5DIII's pride of place?

etc...
Hey Sareesh
You're making the same major assumption that everyone did with the C300... that it's going to be in the same price range as the 5D2/3. I doubt highly that this camera will street for less than $6,000 just based on the pro-line body form factor. If it is FF35 4k, there's no reason to assume it will cost less than $10,000. I sense a flood of "damn Canon for making this too expensive" threads around mid April.

I'll add for the record though that if it is a "cinema" EOS, I'd prefer to see it in a body other than a DSLR body.
Old March 12th, 2012, 10:16 AM   #38
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Couper View Post
I'll add for the record though that if it is a "cinema" EOS, I'd prefer to see it in a body other than a DSLR body.
But would it then be an EOS...?

-- peer
Old March 12th, 2012, 10:17 AM   #39
Wrangler

Quote:
It's been three and a half years... so I wouldn't call it a trend. It's an evolution.

The red text is an email address at Canon's contracted PR firm to which the recipient can reply with an RSVP.

It was probably blurred out because the invitation is "exclusive." Meaning, by invitation only.
That's weird... The red text on my invitation has the time the G650 is picking me up at the airport.

Yours only has a PR firm info?

Huh.
Old March 12th, 2012, 10:22 AM   #40
Wrangler

Peer, I phrased that a little oddly, my bad.
To clarify, I'd simply rather see a cinema oriented camera in a cinema oriented body, rather than a DSLR body. Purely for ergonomics, XLR input, hard audio controls, multiple video outputs, HD-SDI, adjustable side/top mount LCD, variable ND filters, larger battery port, dual media, etc... The stuff that we have to make clunky workarounds for on DSLRs.

If you're making it for video, make it for video, we'll pay more. (at least I will)
Old March 12th, 2012, 10:47 AM   #41
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Couper View Post
Peer, I phrased that a little oddly, my bad.
To clarify, I'd simply rather see a cinema oriented camera in a cinema oriented body, rather than a DSLR body. Purely for ergonomics, XLR input, hard audio controls, multiple video outputs, HD-SDI, adjustable side/top mount LCD, variable ND filters, larger battery port, dual media, etc...
If you're making it for video, make it for video is all I'm saying.
Dylan I totally agree. That's why, I find odd that they announce a 4K camera in DSLR form. Unless is going to be 30+MP, giving full RGB 4K and doubles as a FF body for photo shooting. In that case it will be around $8K, because no photographer will pay more for just a FF body. And will need at least another couple thousand dollars extra gear for proper video.
Emmanuel Plakiotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2012, 12:12 PM   #42
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Marriage View Post
I really don't get what they are thinking with that 4K DSLR, totally the wrong form factor, a little like doing this:
Probably the owner of that Ferrari doesn't like hotels. For some reason, the 5D Mark II had the success that we all know. A lot of people used to work with 35mm are embracing the DSLR shooting because there are cases where only a DSLR is the best tool.

This idea of people of video who think the world must be designed in their form factor is annoying and antidemocratic. Who wants to do art knows very well what the word freedom means. More educated perspective would be really welcome. Merci.
Mathieu Kassovitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2012, 12:14 PM   #43
Major Player

Quote:
My guess -- and it's only guess -- is that it might be this:

New Canon Digital SLR Camera Under Development at DVInfo.net
Aren't you the man with the right information channel for video?

Then, if you write that, I am intended to just believe.
Mathieu Kassovitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2012, 12:58 PM   #44
Obstreperous Rex

Apparently Dylan's the man if he's going to NAB in a Gulfstream!

In all honesty I just made a guess. If I really knew, then I'd be under NDA
and I wouldn't be able to post about it. Since it's billed as a screening, it
might be nothing more than a showing of "When You Find Me" by Bryce
Howard, with the director (and her dad?) in attendance. That would be
pretty special as far as Canon is concerned, so maybe that's what this is.

Old March 12th, 2012, 01:26 PM   #45
Major Player

My thoughts are that it is probably the 4K DSLR, but...

...If it is something like a hypothesized C100. It could very well be a fixed lens camera with a S35 sensor.

Crazy? Maybe but there is some precedent for it. Look at the XL-H1 followed by the XH-A1. Canon is even putting Large sensors in point and shoots now (G1X). Once upon a time there was quite an interest in a fixed lens Red Scarlett. The market exists and it has yet to be filled by anything.
Tony Tibbetts is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News