Canon 2012 NAB teaser - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old March 12th, 2012, 01:57 PM   #46
Wrangler

Re: Canon 2012 NAB teaser

Powered zooms would be cool too.

And while it's true that Canon flies me to NAB in a Gulfstream... they don't land to let me out.
Old March 12th, 2012, 05:52 PM   #47
Major Player

Here's my gut take.
Whether it's this particular NAB event or not, I think Canon, soon after the "unexpected" adoption of the 5DII by so many film makers and the subsequent DSLR revolution it virtually fostered, began developing a dedicated DSLR movie camera.

It would be a very smart to capitalize on their EF lens line.
It would fit with their new "EOS movie" brand.
It doesn't have to do 4k.
It will be considerably less than, say, Scarlet.
The DSLR form factor is anything but Passe, just ask Charles P or Shane S how revolutionary that factor has been along side bigger systems.
Imagine the new Manfrotto system (developed specifically for Canon DSLRs/EF lenses) on a dedicated DSLR movie camera with EF lenses, and you really have something revolutionary for a newly but well developed niche.
I bet it's a niche Canon wants to own.

Add 1080p 60 and sign me up for to of them with Manfrotto follow focus.
Jim Giberti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2012, 07:36 PM   #48
Inner Circle

The #1 reason that DvSLRs are here to stay?

...videographers get to leverage the high volume of the photography market and purchase large sensor video cameras at still camera prices.

Canon could choose to offer the features of the 5D Mark III in a dedicated video camera body, but there's no way they'd price it at $3,499 USD. If you're prepared to spend $5K+, you're in the large sensor video camera market. If you want to spend $799 - $3,499, you're buying a DSLR.

That's why I love the DSLR form factor. It's because of economics, not ergonomics. :)
Old March 12th, 2012, 07:50 PM   #49
Inner Circle

I think it depends on how you define the niche Canon wants to own. If it is the GH2 - video forum crowd then they better price it right. (low) If it is the high end that always needs a few "little" cameras then the price will lose the first group.

Canon could have owned the market already with a 5DMKIII that "went there" but that is not their corporate approach. I am sure this will be a nice camera but it is the option for a video person to also own a great still camera that really makes the vDSLR purchase decision a slam dunk.

In my view, Canon should offer a $4,500 5DMKIII that has all of the video bells and whistles along with the great still options. I would rather pay more than have them not offer the good options at all on the camera.

I would buy two 5DMKIIIv versions. But that would violate the global rule that you can't get everything you want in one camera!
Tim Polster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2012, 07:58 PM   #50
Regular Crew

i agree with you Tim, Price is not a matter on a 5D3... if it packs all the features we want, I don't mind to pay a little more.
I think Canon just want the user to buy a camera and a video camera. But it doesn't work for me, because end up i will not buy both. I am seriously considering the FS100 to be a full camcorder instead.

I'll wait to March 13 Sony announcement and Apr 15 Canon Announcement.
Thomas Wong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2012, 09:19 PM   #51

But to me it is still a stills camera. If the emphasis is on cinematic use then why is theire a shutter button top and bottom? How many 5D MK2 owners who bought their cameras for video actually use it for stills? Maybe a 1D with 4K video function?
I'd expect with a $6000 price tag.
Lee Mullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2012, 09:36 PM   #52
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalan Salur View Post
How many 5D MK2 owners who bought their cameras for video actually use it for stills?
I bought the 5D2 explicitly for video in late 2008. Before the D90 started this whole thing, I didn't have $500 budgeted for a DSLR. Large sensor, cinematic video changed the whole value proposition for me.

Yesterday I shot 99% video. Today I shot 99% stills. :)
Old March 12th, 2012, 10:04 PM   #53
Inner Circle

I use a 5DMKII solely for still photography. The video has too many issues for me. I would like to upgrade to the MKIII but only if the video would allow it to be good enough to justify and for me to use. The 5DMKII is that good of a stills camera that I do not need an upgrade for still use.

I am not a big market segment (feet in both stills and video). I would really need to know the C-DSLR would be good enough as a stills camera before adopting it to replace the 5DMKII.
Tim Polster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2012, 11:22 PM   #54
Inner Circle

Video issues? Yep.

I'm traveling "light and solo" and brought the VAF, follow focus, loupe, shoulder rig, and a monopod to make shooting video enjoyable and worthwhile. Moire, jello, and focus are the big three issues.

BTW, I just got the monopod and I really like it in combination with handles and a loupe. When walking, it gives some more mass for added stability. I can tuck it into my belt to carry the weight and be agile. (I untuck to walk.) And, of course, I can extend it to touch the ground when I'm stationary with a longer lens. I think I'm finally happy with a DSLR kit that I can carry-on an airliner.

Of course, the 5D3 would be a step up: No VAF to hassle with between video and photos/ultra-wides. Half the jello would still be welcome. And who can't use two more stops of light? If the codec is improved, that's another win.

The next horizon to me isn't 4K, it's more bit depth, if not RAW. And some improved focusing tools.

I'm still not sure if I'll upgrade to the Mark III, get a 2nd gen crop cam, or wait for the mystery EOS C camera. The footage I shot yesterday on the 5D2 and the falling sun looks darn good!
Old March 13th, 2012, 01:01 AM   #55
Regular Crew

I am one of them that want a camera that has quality like 5D... also a camera that can take good picture, so i don't need to buy two separate camera.

i use to use XHA1, i only use that for job.. i never use it other than that.... even sometimes i try use it for family video... but end up all footage stay on tape and never watch again...

after i got a 5D... i can use it for work, video and photo... and other than that, i can still take it when i travel and regular use

but i am now thinking to go back to having a professional video camera... 5D are everywhere.... even a guest use 5D in a wedding.... it makes us less professional when using it for work.

I like to have a EOS camcorder, at least i can use all my EF lenses, C300 is just too expensive
Thomas Wong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2012, 02:37 AM   #56
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fairhurst View Post
The next horizon to me isn't 4K, it's more bit depth, if not RAW...
I agree. I'm not familiar with a RAW workflow, only the limitations of 8bit. A decent 10bit onboard recording as well as 8bit MPEG2 50Mbps(+) for fast turnaround would be ideal for me.
Old March 13th, 2012, 10:34 AM   #57
Major Player

I'm betting a dollar that it is the 4K DSLR that they showed at the November event.......but, to cover all the bases, I bet a dollar it's the 4K version of the C300 that won't come out 'til the end of the year.....and to be safe, I'll bet a dollar that Ms. Howard will show her film. There......I think I got it covered!

Jim Martin
Filmtools.com
Jim Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2012, 01:23 PM   #58
Major Player

My vote is it's the C100 (or whatever they call it). A less-featured sibling of the C300. Same sensor and ergonomics. No SDI/genlock. No vectorscope. H.264 codec and i-frame options of the 5D3. No monitor/handle deal-ios. Either no XLR or fewer options on the sound side.

Soo... whoever is closest, and called it first, GETS whatever IS announced on tax day. Riiiight??? ;-) We should start a pool!
Brian Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2012, 09:59 PM   #59
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Couper View Post
I doubt highly that this camera will street for less than $6,000 just based on the pro-line body form factor. If it is FF35 4k, there's no reason to assume it will cost less than $10,000. I sense a flood of "damn Canon for making this too expensive" threads around mid April.
I'm inclined to agree with you. They have always 'disappointed' when it comes to price. Even the Canon G1X - Canon's late entry to APS-C mirrorless - is more expensive than the NEX-5n or GX3. The T3i DSLR is in the same ballpark, but with far more features.
Old March 13th, 2012, 11:03 PM   #60
Major Player

Since Canon as the no1 photo brand, charges a premium over other brands. It's common practice with most companies. Sony used to do that - probably still does - in consumer and professional video for decades. My problem is that Canon seems to overprice its pro video products without being No 1.
Emmanuel Plakiotis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News