Lightworks release date - Page 11 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old November 28th, 2013, 01:11 PM   #151
Inner Circle

Re: Lightworks NLE version 11.1 for Win. available

The 11.5 public beta testing continues; New Lightworks Version 11.5.c Now Available as Public Beta

There are a number of fixes, plus additional features (including a larger range of effects) and adjustments to current ones.

Last edited by Brian Drysdale; November 28th, 2013 at 04:45 PM.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2013, 07:26 AM   #152
Inner Circle

A new 11.5 beta for testing seems to be coming out once a week: New Lightworks Version 11.5.d Now Available as Public Beta

This has more fixes and a number of additions.
Old December 10th, 2013, 09:56 AM   #153
Inner Circle

Another beta version is available: New Lightworks Version 11.5.e Now Available as Public Beta

A few key changes: this latest Beta version opens up file import in the Free version to allow every file format (except AVID DNxHD) to import instantly and natively into the application.

They have also removed the licensing restriction on the real-time titling effect. Free users can now apply the real-time titling effect along with all the new titling presets included in 11.5.

However, EditShare pays a licensing fee in order to use all the majority of codecs, so although import has been opened up, it does mean that export and rendering has been limited in the Free version: all export formats except for YouTube (limited to 480p max) and Lightworks Archive Also, disabled is the ability to render in the Free version (This is now a Pro feature). This only applies to the 11.5e beta, there will be details given on the free version's specification in the future.

I gather they are trying to address the problems that first time users have importing, so the falling at the first step. Currently you have to transcode licensed codecs with the free version and many people use the EyeFrame converter.

Last edited by Brian Drysdale; December 10th, 2013 at 07:02 PM.
Old December 12th, 2013, 01:27 PM   #154
Inner Circle

Another beta: New Lightworks Version 11.5.f Now Available as Public Beta

Lightworks have announced that the release date for 11.5 will be 29th January 2014

I assume they'll then start moving to a beta of version 12, which seems to be the three platform version.
Old January 15th, 2014, 11:44 AM   #155
Inner Circle

The latest public beta has been released: New Lightworks Version 11.5.g Now Available as Public Beta

This has features that were intended for version 12 - background import and background rendering, Amongst other additions they've added AC3 audio decode support for Windows, Mac and Linux (Windows filter no longer required). Also support for Retina displays and introduced playback controls to source and edit viewers. The latter are a new option that can used instead of the on screen console.

Last edited by Brian Drysdale; January 16th, 2014 at 03:06 AM.
Old January 17th, 2014, 09:10 AM   #156
Inner Circle

A new beta fast on the tail of "g" New Lightworks Version 11.5.h Now Available as Public Beta

This latest Beta reverts back to the previous MainConcept SDK which resolves several issues reported with AVCHD material. If you use AVCHD material and imported new files using 11.5.g you will need to delete the index files (.lvix) related to those files.
Old January 24th, 2014, 12:53 PM   #157
Inner Circle

The 11.5 betas are progressing New Lightworks Version 11.5.i Now Available as Public Beta

This build fixes a serious memory issue identified in the Linux build and introduces language wordings files for: Spanish, Russian, Portuguese, Italian, Indonesian, German, French, Bengali, Czech, Turkish, Polish, Thai, Japanese and Chinese.

They are hoping this is the last beta before the release version, which is currently scheduled for Wednesday coming.
Old January 27th, 2014, 04:42 PM   #158
Inner Circle

A couple of fixes for recently raised issues New Lightworks Version 11.5.j Now Available as Public Beta

The 11.5 release is still,set for Wednesday.
Old January 28th, 2014, 10:55 AM   #159
Inner Circle

Re: Lightworks NLE for Mac

This update has been given in the Lightworks forum: "The Mac version will be ready for Alpha testing very soon after the release of 11.5 on Windows and Linux.".

If anyone is interested in Alpha testing Lightworks on Mac, they should keep a close eye on the Lightworks Forum. The call for Linux Alpha testers was only up for a very short time. Currently, 11.5 is being released on Wed 29th Jan.
Old January 29th, 2014, 06:17 PM   #160
Inner Circle

Lightworks NLE V11.5 released for Win. & Linux

Edirshare have released 11.5, the latest version of Lightworks that can be used on Windows or Linux. There have been a number of changes in what has been described as half way to Version 12, these include:

Support for AJA I/O devices (Kona and Io XT) (Windows, Pro version only)
Import, Render and Export as background tasks
YouTube export option including direct upload
AC3 audio decode support removing the need for third party decoders
Fully customisable user interface
Smarter menus with fast access Export and FX favourites
Powerful new Multicam improvements
Playback controls added to source and edit viewer

The difference between Free and Pro now is that the Pro version has a much wider range of output options, whereas the Free version is limited to web formats (ie MPEG4/H.264), at up to 720p. The Free version now allows the import of all professional and consumer video formats natively, previously this often involved transcoding.

There is a new pricing structure:
Monthly subscription $7.99 | 5.99€ | £4.99
Annual subscription $79.99 | 59.99€ | £49.99
Buy Version Outright $279.99 | 214.99€ | 179.99

This will be of interest to users who don't like the subscription model and want to own their software outright.

It's worth noting that current version 11 free users should consider their export requirements before upgrading. They won't have the exports that they currently have. This has been a trade off because Lightworks say that many new users run into difficulties because of the transcoding currently required. However, by taking out a monthly subscription for the Pro version you can then export your project(s) using that version's full export codecs . This should be of interest to low/no budget indie filmmakers, who can spend as long as they want editing and then take out the monthly subscription when they need to export to a licensed codec.

New Lightworks Release 11.5 Now Available To Download
Overview

I imagine that beta testing on Version 12 will start in the near future and Alpha testing on the Mac version is promised very soon.

Last edited by Brian Drysdale; January 29th, 2014 at 06:48 PM.
Old January 30th, 2014, 07:03 AM   #161
Inner Circle

Re: Lightworks NLE V11.5 released for Win. & Linux

The Lightworks web site has also had a face lift - this seems to be easier to navigate than before. Some of the training videos available outline the changes found in 11.5:
Video Tutorials

There's a new 11.5 User Guide, which looks pretty clear with plenty of links, and an advanced user guide is also due.
Downloads

People are using Lightworks with Windows XP up to Windows 8.1, but slower computers may have issues with the new native editing etc. The EyeFrame Converter developed by Lightworks users is available and has proven to be a handy tool.

http://eyeframeconverter.wordpress.com/

EDIT Unfortunately, with the introduction of 11.5 the user behind this (handle tin2tin) has taken down this site because the latest version no longer requires it, However, old versions can be found here: http://www.videohelp.com/tools/EyeFr...r/old-versions

Last edited by Brian Drysdale; January 30th, 2014 at 05:06 PM.
Old February 2nd, 2014, 06:30 AM   #162
Inner Circle

As an alternative to Eyeframe this can be used: ClipToolz Home Convert is free up to 3 consecutive conversions, but is low cost for full use. Colour and RAW are currently free and unrestricted.

I gather the convert has been beta tested on Lightworks.
Old February 2nd, 2014, 07:27 AM   #163
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Drysdale View Post
EDIT Unfortunately, with the introduction of 11.5 the user behind this (handle tin2tin) has taken down this site because the latest version no longer requires it, However, old versions can be found here: EyeFrame Converter 1.8.0 - Old Versions
Actually tin2tin explains exactly why he took down his project on the LightWorks forum:

"It makes no more sense for me to spend hours upon hours to give new Lwks users a good experience, because in my eyes Lwks has not developed into the free and open software promised originally. IMHO Lwks is by now only usable as payware, which means that we are no longer contributors to a generous project, but instead we're customers of pay-ware and as such, the Lwks product should work as expected with no workarounds needed and if it doesn't it's our, the customers, obligation to let them know about it, but not to try to solve it for them."

I guess a payware GUI frontend (ClipToolz) for a free software encoder (ffmbc) would indeed seem like a perfect match for the new LightWorks.
(Oh, and please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the developer of ClipToolz required to also redistribute the GPL license and ffmbc sources along with his software?)
Jon Shohet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2014, 08:26 AM   #164
Inner Circle

Licensing details are on the Cliptoolz website, There's a link for licensing.

I'm not involved with the product, just passing on the info, there are also other converters, but I gather this has been tested on Lightworks.

There has been a debate about the changes in 11.5 and how functional the free version should be. Strong emotions have been expressed and, unfortunately, these changes have resulted in the loss of a number of people (like tin2tin) who have invested a lot of time into a creating, free open source Lightworks, by providing tools like EyeFrame and input into the various versions over the years.

Currently Lightworks isn't open source, but it's on the road map after the Mac OS version is released. What form it takes hasn't been released, however, there are a number of open source models. I'm sure that will cause more debate at the time.

I gather Editshare found that newcomers were having problems with the transcoding required on the Lightworks Free version and this was putting them off. They then put in native import and editing for the commercial codecs (and some features previously only on the Pro version) in 11.5, but the downside was that they couldn't afford to give a full export in the free version, only 720p for net use like YouTube and the Archive.

If you're a 11.1.1 or older user and need the full export on the free version, the best thing might be to not upgrade or put the 11.5 in a separate directory, so you can run both versions.
Old February 2nd, 2014, 09:20 AM   #165
Major Player

I was just surprised that I couldn't find any trace of GPL license or ffmbc source code but hopefully it's there somewhere if indeed it's required.
I personally have a distaste for commercial closed source projects based on FLOSS but to each his own.

Regarding LightWorks I just can't buy the argument that export options were traded for import options with users' interest in mind. Surely the EditShare developers are too savvy not to realize the full implications of restricting output to h264 720p in the free version?

I also doubt many developers are still holding their breath to see any source code released. Even if it is, what are the chances of it forming the basis for any meaningful FLOSS community project considering the current situation?

I'm sure that as a closed source product LightWorks still has a lot going for it, it's just a shame about the way the open source situation is being handled.
Jon Shohet is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News