Lightworks release date - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old June 5th, 2012, 03:57 AM   #31
Inner Circle

Re: Release Lightworks NLE available

With just over 250,000 downloads, some of those being multipliable due to downloading issues, Lightworks seem to be moving towards completing work on their web site. This will include a separate Pro community offering different forums.

There are some issues with installing Lightworks that are affecting a number of people - Sentinel HASP seems be causing particular problems. Unfortunately, solutions which seem to work with some people don't work for others. My Lightworks installed with the firewall and anti virus on, but these programs are seeming to cause problems for some people, even when they are switched off. Lightworks recommend switching them off when installing. Although, the vast majority of people seem to have installed without any difficulties.

There is some confusion over open source. Lightworks is not currently open source, that's at the 4th stage of Editshare's road map. I gather there are codes in the software which have digital copyright held by others, these have to be replaced. There seems to be various forms of "open source", so which Editshare goes for remains to be seen. Currently they seem to be prioritising the demand from people who want to use the program on the three platforms,

UPDATE I gather Lightworks are hoping to release an update, perhaps this week. I guess this comes from the feedback received over the last week following the initial V11 release, plus some work that missed out on that. Developers have been involved with the forum, picking up on issues raised.

Last edited by Brian Drysdale; June 6th, 2012 at 01:44 AM.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2012, 04:51 PM   #32
Inner Circle

I understand the update that I mentioned should address the activation issues that some people are having.
Old June 10th, 2012, 02:43 AM   #33
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Drysdale View Post
Lightworks autosaves and now auto backups after every 10 editing operations.
Perhaps this could be a bit confusing. Lightworks remembers every move, so if something crashes you don't lose anything, but it also auto backs ups every 10 editing operations. Sort of belt and braces.

People are finding that they can't use some of the codecs that were possible on the beta version on the new free version. The beta used Matrox codecs which aren't being used on the V11, so you may now need to transcode to use those unavailable codecs on the free version. The Pro version can import a wide range of codecs and having enough people subscribing to this upgrade over the longer term seems to be key to the viability of the project.

Last edited by Brian Drysdale; June 10th, 2012 at 03:48 AM.
Old June 14th, 2012, 01:03 AM   #34
Inner Circle

Now that the release Lightworks has been out for just over a couple of weeks the main issues with V11 can be seen.

The activating and installing issues that a number of people are having is currently being addressed.

AVCHD files that contain AC-3 audio will not import with audio, apparently licensing restrictions are being investigated.

Native H.264 performance isn't currently satisfactory on the Pro version, a software update is due "shortly".

There is a pdf list of known issues on the Lightworks download page, which includes the last two issues. If any on the list affect jobs in hand or near future it would make sense to hold off using Lightworks for these productions until they're resolved or you've tested them to your satifaction. However, people are transcoding in the short term to get around the issues mentioned.

Interestingly, a few items that worked fine on the beta, don't work on the V11, but as they're reported on the Lightworks forum their developers seem to be addressing them.

A new manual is being worked on and I gather at least one writer is working on a book on using Lightworks. I suspect this will help with learning the program, because there can be a number of ways to do an operation with Lightworks and often there seems to be a quick, simple method hidden away that the pros have been using for years.

Last edited by Brian Drysdale; June 14th, 2012 at 02:43 AM.
Old June 21st, 2012, 02:51 AM   #35
Inner Circle

I've has a chance to play with different methods of using Lightworks, although not with the console. Speaking to editors who've used it, that's like editing with a musical instrument, the fastest method.

I used the AVID keyboard shortcuts initially and although it works, it doesn't get the best out of Lightworks. Not having the Lightworks keyboard, I've used a normal keyboard combined with a print out of the layout and this is really logical. It would be even better with the dedicated keyboard, but you quickly pick up the main ones. There is some crossover with the JKL and other keys with the other NLE keyboards, so not totally different.

Drag and drop also works for moving clips around the timeline, although not precisely the same way as with say Vegas, you'll get into trouble doing so. For example, it's usually best drag and dropping clips from the bin via the edit viewer (it automatically drops into the timeline), rather than directly into the timeline. Drag and dropping tends to be slower than the other methods and seems to work best combined with the keyboard; it's a lot quicker inserting a clip from the bin using the "V" key than dragging it.

There are quick, couple of mouse click methods of putting in dissolves and audio cross fades etc. There's the option of displaying audio waveforms, adjusting the audio levels and using audio nodes in the timeline. The fade in/out and other end of timeline clip features aren't that dissimilar to say Vegas, the Join and Unjoin button may seem strange, but it enables all the clip tracks at the play head to be quickly joined/unjoined for trimming... you can also do this with each track individually using the mouse.

Overall a bit of a learning curve, but that's no different to other NLEs, it's more a matter of if you like the way Lightworks does things.

Currently an update is being tested, which they hope will address the issues spotted following the V11.release.

Last edited by Brian Drysdale; June 22nd, 2012 at 01:19 AM.
Old July 3rd, 2012, 03:08 PM   #36
Inner Circle

Editshare have now launched the official training videos for V11 Lightworks. At the moment these are introductory, "quick get you started" tutorials, but I gather there will be more advanced ones coming along. In these I expect they'll explore the fast methods of putting in the transitions like dissolves etc, just in case people get the false impression there's only one way and it looks a performance.

Tutorials

The previous online training videos were produced by members of the Lightworks forum and independent film makers.

Last edited by Brian Drysdale; July 4th, 2012 at 12:08 PM.
Old July 5th, 2012, 01:52 PM   #37
Inner Circle

V11.0.1, the updated version of Lightworks is available for download. This fixes a number of issues found on V11 and has a number of improvements, including using AVCHD material with AC3 audio on the Pro version.

Because of this work the 64 bit Beta version has been delayed, but this is expected "before the end of the month".
Old September 4th, 2012, 12:39 PM   #38
Inner Circle

The new Lightworks 11.0.2 built is now available. This fixes a number of issues found on the previous build and adds some more features.

I gather Lightworks 11.1 will be available as a Beta download very shortly and the 64bit Beta version is still being worked on and will be available shortly..

They're planing to showcase the Linux version at IBC.

People using Lightworks Free have found a number of free programs that can transcode codecs for use in this program. This also offers easier editing to people who have less powerful computers.

Last edited by Brian Drysdale; September 5th, 2012 at 02:02 AM.
Old September 4th, 2012, 04:02 PM   #39
Regular Crew

No version for Mac
Robert John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2012, 04:49 PM   #40
Inner Circle

They're developing the Linux version first because it's en-route to the mac version.

BTW The Linux showcase version isn't yet at the beta stage, but Editshare want to demonstrate their commitment to the Linux community.
Old September 5th, 2012, 09:11 AM   #41
Major Player

Interesting stuff. I'm in MacLand so have a while to wait yet.

Many thanks Brian for keeping us up to date on these exciting developments.
Dom Stevenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2012, 11:39 AM   #42
Inner Circle

If anyone is trying to download or install the latest version (or even visit the web site), I gather the servers are currently under a lot of load, so there may be short term connection issues.

Update: this seems to have cleared.

Last edited by Brian Drysdale; September 6th, 2012 at 01:01 AM.
Old September 6th, 2012, 03:20 AM   #43
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom Stevenson View Post
Interesting stuff. I'm in MacLand so have a while to wait yet.
I'd imagine by the time it's available on Mac many of the current issues will be sorted. The main ones currently seem to be centred around importing some consumer and prosumer type codecs*, which need transcoding. The developers are aware of this and these, plus other things that are listed on the known issues notes. The users are also giving lots of feedback to them.

Of course, no doubt there'll be Mac specific issues.

*I gather the Free version will continue to need transcoding with third party software because of the cost of codec licenses

Last edited by Brian Drysdale; September 6th, 2012 at 06:00 AM.
Old September 18th, 2012, 03:19 PM   #44
Inner Circle

They're hoping to have the Linux version for public alpha testing on 30th Oct initially using Ubuntu 12.04. It will look and feel the same as the Lightworks Windows version, although some components like Firewire recording won't be available.
Old October 18th, 2012, 11:07 AM   #45
Inner Circle

Version 11.0.3 of Lightworks is available for download, this fixes a few issues.

An announcement for Beta version of V11.1 is expected shortly

There's currently no news on the 64 bit version of Lightworks

Last edited by Brian Drysdale; October 19th, 2012 at 02:01 AM.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News