Digital Juice Countdown - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old March 22nd, 2014, 12:17 PM   #16
Major Player

Re: Digital Juice Countdown

I finally bit the bullet and joined. My biggest concern in the past with DJ has been that you had to buy a volume of 10 things to just get the one or two you would ever use. And in many cases the style is too busy/edgy for my needs. But, I decided to try it. I'm going to get my $500 worth of stuff for $250, and then for a while I can buy just what I want very cheaply. I can quit at any time.

They keep adding perks - all the older things you bought from them will be available online - no digging through your DVDs. Early joiners get 25 free sound effects each month, and any of their existing boxed sets will be free shipping.

I was put off more by the requirement to initially buy $250 worth of things more than the $9.95 subscription. I don't do Adobe, but my understanding is that once you're no longer subscribing, the software will not run. With DJ, the software will still run and the elements you bought will still be usable, even if you drop the subscription.

And yes, for me, the VideoHive restriction that you can only use a purchased template once is a deal breaker. Others may not be bothered by that.
David Dixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2014, 05:51 PM   #17
Major Player

So the new DJ has been out for a while now. Anyone else sign up? Thoughts and experiences?
Old May 10th, 2014, 10:24 PM   #18
Trustee

I am a former Digital Juice customer, and it will remain former. I have 17 boxed sets of their stuff. It might sit for a year without getting touched, but when I need it I have it. They have always been kind of a hard sell company with progressive marketing (to say the least). Make sure you check out this thread:

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-po...tal-juice.html

DJ is going to the "health club model". Anytime someone insists you must allow them to reach into your bank account on a regular basis means their product is not worthy of your return business. I find the use of the word FREE in marketing lies an insult to my intelligence. If you have to wrap a product up in complicated programs with verbiage that borders on unethical and finish your offer with fine print that starts with Terms and Conditions it is not for me.

I have been using Adobe Premier since version 1.0 I am now looking into other NLE programs. I will never allow Adobe to hold my work hostage in their cloud based on Terms, Conditions and a monthly bill they insist I pay. And I am pissed about that because I have years of time invested in the learning curve for their entire creative suite. Sure.... I know I can still use the CS 6 downloaded version if I want to. Once their subscription base is built up how long do you think that will last? And all the new updates are going to the cloud side. CS 6 will soon be out of date.

Digital Juice and Adobe can both scratch me off their list. They won't care because customers are now granting them permission to tap their checking account every month even if they don't need the product that month. It used to be that the value of any product was based on what someone was willing to pay for it. The DJ program is a study in the power of advertising and psychology, not the value of their product.

All that is just my not so humble opinion.

Steve

Last edited by Steven Digges; May 10th, 2014 at 11:02 PM.
Steven Digges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2014, 04:16 AM   #19
Equal Opportunity Offender

On the Adobe software rental tangent ....

They stated that CS6 would always be available for purchase by those who do not wish to subscribe to CC.

I recently received this email which was sent out (16th April 2014) to all volume licensing customers ...

Quote:
Dear Adobe Customer,

At Adobe, we’ve always been steadfast in our commitment to providing you with state-of-the-art creative tools. That’s why, effective June 1, we’re making Adobe Creative Cloud your exclusive source for all future creative licensing. This means that Adobe Creative Suite 6 will be discontinued under our TLP and CLP licensing programs. All other Adobe products available under volume licensing, like Adobe Acrobat and Adobe Presenter, will be unaffected by this change.

Rest assured, we'll work with you to help make the move to Creative Cloud smooth and without disruption to your team's projects. If you prefer, you may still buy individual copies of CS6 on adobe.com; however, the apps will not have been updated since CS6 was released two years ago.

As with any change, you're likely to have questions. For answers, contact us at 800-915-9424 or visit our resource page, which includes FAQs, a comparison of CS6 and Creative Cloud, and other useful information.

Thank you for your business, and we look forward to creating more great things together.

The Adobe Team
(bold emphasis above is mine)

And so the noose tightens on CS6 availability.

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2014, 06:59 AM   #20
Major Player

I received that email too, and I am unhappy with what Adobe is doing. I would like to know what software you guys are going to switch to. I have been looking but can not decide. What would be the easiest to pick up after spending the last ten years using Adobe Premere?

Also no digital juice for me either.
Ron Little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2014, 04:02 PM   #21
Trustee

Andrew,

Thank you for posting that e-mail. I was not aware of it but it was easy to predict.

I have not made a decision yet on what new editor I will be switching to. I am resisting the process since I am not doing it by choice.

Steve
Old May 12th, 2014, 07:44 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Ron, I switched from Adobe Premiere to Sony Vegas version 12 last fall. To get up to speed, I watched the training videos on Lynda.com for Sony Vegas 12.

Since I have gotten use to it, I would never go back to Premiere. In fact I am about to upgrade to Sony Vegas 13, since I have been reading great comments about it on the Sony Vegas forums on the Sony site.

You might want to look into it.
Rob
Rob Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2014, 04:44 AM   #23
Trustee

+1 on the recommendation for Sony Vegas on PC.

Just moved to v13 and so far it's proving to very stable and more importantly working well with the Nvidia series 6 video cards that we use. Vegas isn't perfect, no such thing in an NLE. It has its shortcomings like any other software. I also have Prem CS6, Edius and Avid Media Composer here, all on PC, but I just keep coming back to Vegas for its ease of use, speed of editing and its great inbuilt easy to use audio capability. If you are transitioning from Prem I think you will find Vegas a lot easier to pick up than either Edius or Avid if you are on Windoz.

If you are on Mac then obviously there is another player with FCP-X. Though I have seen two very good competent broadcast editors jump from X recently. One after a year and the other after a few months. One to Prem on Mac the other to Vegas on PC. The only way really I guess is to try out the various NLEs and see what works best for your kind of work. There is a trial version of Vegas available.

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney
Christopher Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2014, 07:00 AM   #24
Inner Circle

For people considering other NLE's Lightworks is also worth looking at. You can now also purchase instead of having a subscription. The public beta for mac with the upcoming version 12 is due out on 11th June.

It mightn't be for everyone, since it's strength is as a narrative or story editor coming from feature films and broadcast TV and it's not a Swiss Army knife NLE, in that it's centred around being a fast editor, although it can do effects and audio. However, people do find it works for them over other NLEs and there are 1 million registered on the web site.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2014, 12:45 PM   #25
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Young View Post
+1 on the recommendation for Sony Vegas on PC.

Just moved to v13 and so far it's proving to very stable and more importantly working well with the Nvidia series 6 video cards that we use.
Chris, I haven't read anything on Vegas 13 working well with the Nvidia 600 series cards. Would you mind posting what you have seen improved?

Rob
Rob Taylor is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News