Blackmagic has two new 4K cameras at NAB - "URSA" & "Studio Cam" - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old April 7th, 2014, 03:02 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Re: Blackmagic has two new 4K cameras at NAB - "URSA" & "Studio Cam"

Well, the sensors are interchangeable, and the B4 mount has ND filters. But I agree with you, it's heavy and before they start selling it they have to attend the issues their current customers are complaining about, because they're going to be the main voices and possible clients for the new cameras.

It sounds like a bad idea if you ask somebody who owns a 2.5 or a 4k and he tells you to stay away from BM. I have faith they will fix the issues; it's a marketing win...
Old April 7th, 2014, 05:59 PM   #17
Major Player

I was about to pull the trigger on an FS700 but with the announcement of the Ursa Im glad I waited until after NAB. Framerates aside, considering my glass is already all taken care of... it might... just... take the cake. We will see, Ill have to give them a ring after all this craziness that is NAB is over and there are no other things that shout "take my money!".
Old April 7th, 2014, 06:45 PM   #18
Major Player

One thing is likely, the development of the two new cameras had to be stretch for a company the size of BMD and has perhaps taken resources away from other projects. What I hope is that software development for the URSA will or has also yield(ed) solutions to some of the issues with the earlier cameras.

The announcement that Resolve will now be a NLE is also really interesting.
Peter Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2014, 09:07 PM   #19
Major Player

For anyone considering the URSA, also check out AJA's new camera. Yes it is their first, but I feel like AJA designed their camera with camera ops in mind. It has XLR inputs, only took BMD 3 years to add those things.

Keeps on being a very exciting time to be a consumer. All these camera companies keep throwing new cameras at us.
Old April 7th, 2014, 09:15 PM   #20
Major Player

As a camera shader/engineer for multi-cam projects I find using Resolve to match cameras a bizzare but intriguing concept. For live work the iris control better be very ergonomic, changing iris levels on say 4-8 cameras one right after the other is not uncommon and you really need solid controls to make the changes accurate as well as fast.

And studio cameras should have parfocal zoom lenses, having to re-focus every time you zoom/reframe is a non-starter. So far, MFT lenses with a decent Zoom range, constant arpeture and the ability to hold focus throughout the zoom are a rarity, if even they exist. Yeah, I'm with Zach on the 2/3" sensor. I love what BM is trying to do, but there seem to be so many little 'gotchas' that aren't really little at all.
Eric Lagerlof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2014, 11:00 PM   #21
Inner Circle

As a Black Magic Cinema Camera owner, as others have said here, I would really hesitate about being an early adopter of this camera. It just seems like there is a lot that has to be developed on this camera, and don't forget current users of the 4K rig are reporting fixed pattern noise on many units, and that hasn't been resolved by Black Magic yet. I also think that sometimes Black Magic Design likes to emphasize its design element, and tries to make cool looking things, that may not be usable in the end. That makes me wonder about the 10 inch monitor, and just how convenient that will really be and how well will it perform in bright light and such.

And I have been waiting for promised upgrades for a year now on my EF, so this time around, I will wait and see how things pan out. Definitely no preorders like last time. An if Black Magic Design is depending on preorders, I have a feeling the based of buyers that were there last time, will not be there this time. I can remember a definite panic that developed to get on a preorder list last time, and I am guessing that will not be near as big this time.
Old April 7th, 2014, 11:19 PM   #22
Major Player

The studio Cam has the same image sensor as the pocket
The differences are it can't do raw but it can do a variety of framerates up to 50/60p
Its not a camcorder. It seems there isn't onboard recorder.
Emmanuel Plakiotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2014, 08:28 AM   #23
Wrangler

The Ursa is HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE!

The body according to the rep I talked to is something like 16lbs without battery. That gives you the jumbo monitor but a lot of people will be surprised if they buy this without handling it first.
Old April 8th, 2014, 09:03 AM   #24
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Couper View Post
The Ursa is HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE!.
And aptly named. I hope they come out with a baby bear... Ursa Minor.

Pretty amazing package for that price, though. Really, the weight is the only thing that would keep me from seriously considering it... Definitely not a run and gun camera!
Brian David Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2014, 10:06 AM   #25
Inner Circle

One of the best hand held 16mm film cameras, the CP16R weighs about 16 lbs, it was used for shooting news. For hand held work, it's how well it's balanced.that's important and that's where many of the large sensor fail because everything gets front heavy when a zoom is stuck on the front.

http://whitehouseaudiovisual.com/ima...imgs/CP_16.jpg

However, the CP is full of mechanics and a 400ft roll of film. I suspect the BlackMagic is being made to a price, which prevents any machining to reduce the weight. The Arri Amira has had a weight reduction since last year and comes in at 9.2lbs.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2014, 10:10 AM   #26
Major Player

16 lbs people. that should sink in before you consider it, even on top of the other potential issues with BM

a smaller camera can always be built up, but this beast cannot be built down
Old April 8th, 2014, 10:16 AM   #27
Inner Circle

The AJA Cion looks a better bet on the weight front with 7.4 lbs with the handle fitted.

An Arri Alexa body with SxS Module, electronic viewfinder and handle weighs 7.7 Kg/16.9 lbs.

The URSA seems to aiming to be a production camera and also high end for documentary work on a budget
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2014, 10:39 AM   #28
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Drysdale View Post
I suspect the BlackMagic is being made to a price, which prevents any machining to reduce the weight. The Arri Amira has had a weight reduction since last year and comes in at 9.2lbs.
The Ursa also has a liquid cooling system. That's probably a significant contributor to its weight.
Rakesh Malik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2014, 10:44 AM   #29
Major Player

i imagine the thing is pretty thick solid metal, and yes, weight reduction is added design, time, and cost.

they likely could have solved all of that with stamped 2-4mm metal, like computer cases. but that would of course likely wouldn't come off as ridiculously solid, but still would have been plenty rugged.
Old April 8th, 2014, 10:45 AM   #30
Inner Circle

I guess Liquid cooling is a good method to keep down the camera noise, there's a lot of careful fan design in the Arri camera, which adds to the cost.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News