Aja has an $8,995 S35 4K camera, the Cion - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old April 16th, 2014, 01:33 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: Aja has an $8,995 S35 4K camera, the Cion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Thorn View Post
The PL lens mount on the AJA CION is in fact removable and was designed with shorter focal flange distances in mind. As part of our effort to provide open connectivity throughout the entire product design, we are inviting third-parties to create adapters for lenses and lens mount systems that cover the APS-C sized sensor. This will mean that a variety of offerings with a variety of capabilities - as well as a variety of price points - should come to market answering the acknowledged need for flexibility among different users.
The issue is that most everyone in the market I am in has EF lenses. With a PL mount being the ultimate in dumb mounts, there will not be any direct way to control aperture from the camera body, and as for external aperture control, m4/3 users can attest how well third parties have adapted EF lenses to their bodies.

Quote:
AJA simply chose the PL lens mount as a starting point because it is an open and accepted professional standard and an array of high quality lenses are available worldwide in PL mount.
That's fine, but I would say that those with the PL lens sets aren't exactly the market for this camera, as they have other, more established options that they can afford. Just my gut reaction, so subject to new info.
Gary Huff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2014, 04:47 PM   #17
AJA

Hi Gary,
While AJA doesn't offer an EF mount, third parties are indeed making plans to support this on CION. These lens adapters could even be powered by the 2-pin power output at the front of CION to provide for sleek cable management. On a somewhat related note, I have personally powered a Fujinon Cabrio zoom using the 2-pin power output and an adapter cable and this type of configuration typically requires even more power than a lens mount with a powered aperture control system.

The fact that the lens mount is removable, power is available at the front of the camera for aperture controls and servos and AJA will be offering specifications for the lens mount to interested parties opens CION to a wide variety of lens mount options. We did not neglect the lens mount when designing the product; alternate lens options simply won't be provided by AJA directly.

I hope this information is helpful,
Jon Thorn
Senior Product Manager
AJA Video Systems, Inc.
Jon Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2014, 10:34 PM   #18
Major Player

Is there a case where a sensor-crop approach is an advantage over a full image target image scaled?

It seems to me that using the full sensor would be preferable in any scenario I can come up with...easier to calculate lenses...more light...etc.

Maybe there's something I'm missing?
Old April 17th, 2014, 05:56 PM   #19
AJA

Hi Tim,
As a general rule, maintaining the focal length of a lens via high-quality scaling no matter what raster size you wish to shoot at is typically preferred.

The major benefit of offering a windowing or cropping of a sensor is that by only using a portion of the sensor area you effectively lower the image diagonal or image circle that is necessary to cover with the lens. For example, you might take a near Super 35mm frame size and via windowing/cropping obtain a smaller frame size, such as Super 16mm, so that lenses that would not normally cover the full sensor area may now be used.

Having said this, there can be disadvantages to employing this type of windowing/cropping; typically the issue is that OLPFs used to eliminate unwanted moire and aliasing are designed for a specific raster size. Note that Sony, for example, offers a unique OLPF for use with their Sony PMW-F5 and PMW-F55 when windowing/cropping to 2K.

I hope this explanation is helpful,
Jon Thorn
Senior Product Manager
AJA Video Systems, Inc.
Old April 18th, 2014, 03:53 AM   #20
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Kolb View Post
Is there a case where a sensor-crop approach is an advantage over a full image target image scaled?

It seems to me that using the full sensor would be preferable in any scenario I can come up with...easier to calculate lenses...more light...etc.

Maybe there's something I'm missing?

It gives you a flexible shooting solution. With the work that I do having that flexibility is just very important. You can use the benefits of a large sensor when you want too or use lenses such as the Canon HJ18 to get ultra long reach. It is the same with frame rates although its far more useful to have things built in when working in the field. In fact I think wildlife/documentary has the biggest demands when it comes to flexibility in a camera.
Mat Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2014, 12:17 PM   #21
Major Player

Lot of good things in this camera. However, I am surprised that this model doesn't come with EF mount. Even Amira has EF option. Leaving third parties to develop adapters is not a very reassuring option. EF mount has become well established and given the type of shooting this camera is supposed to cater to, leaving out EF appears to be a major blunder.
Old April 19th, 2014, 04:52 PM   #22
Trustee

I have already heard about a couple of people who are working on an EF mount.

So, I wouldn't worry - yet - the camera is not due for a couple of months.

Here is one of those who is working on this

Optitron | CineTechnica
Old June 23rd, 2014, 09:25 AM   #23
Austinite

Cion Reboot. Let's talk about it again...

1. Looks like there is a base plate. Does it come with it?
2. Is the base plate ARRI standard? - Important for ARRI standard matte boxes
3. High current (HC) batteries only?
Phil Goetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2014, 03:00 PM   #24
Austinite

Deposit: $500.00
Manufacturer: AJA
Availability: Pre-Order

AJA CION (Pre-Order)
Old September 12th, 2014, 01:31 AM   #25
AJA

To demonstrate our progress with CION, we have created a short video showcasing some of the abilities of the camera: pleasing skin tone rendition alongside rich, vibrant colors, amazing levels of picture detail from the high resolution sensor, a lack of “black sun” artifacts and in-camera slow-motion.

The following link allows you to view our latest CION video:
https://www.aja.com/cion-videos

Please be aware that this footage has not been color corrected or graded in any way.* It has only been edited.* We felt you would want to see exactly what the camera is capable of delivering “straight out of the box” without any additional post-production modifications.

The AJA CION will not be shipping immediately, but it will be shipping soon.* We are working hard to deliver the best product we possibly can.

Thank you for your interest in the AJA CION.* We look forward to delivering the camera to you as soon as possible.

Jon Thorn
Senior Product Manager
AJA Video Systems, Inc.
Old September 12th, 2014, 07:25 AM   #26
Trustee

Hi Jon,

The footage looks nice. For our needs here at the U of Michigan,
and even though we have a pretty extensive lighting kit,
the ability to shoot *clean* footage in 4-12 foot candles is going to be a big factor when we upgrade to 4K (or above). The reason being that we shoot a lot of performances with projected back grounds. Even a 6500 lumen projector is dim when the image is 32'Wx20'H. To make those backgrounds pop, we need the right camera.

I have to say that footage taken outdoors doesn't mean much to _me personally_,
because almost all modern sensors seems to produce outstanding images in sunlight.
I did notice - and it again means little - that the black hair didn't have much shadow detail and I am hoping that the CION doesn't crush the blacks like the 5DMKII. (I do get this is ungraded, but one never knows how elastic the images are until you get them in the box).

At what ISO do you rate the CION?

Thanks!

Jacques
Old September 12th, 2014, 10:45 AM   #27
Austinite

MTF Lens Adaptor for the CION: Canon EF, EF with aperture control, B4, and Nikon G mounts.

https://www.lensadaptor.com/mtf-effe...aja-cion-mount

https://www.lensadaptor.com/canon-ef-aja-cion

https://www.lensadaptor.com/b4-aja-cion-package

https://www.lensadaptor.com/nikon-g-aja-cion

Wooden Camera has Canon EF, EF with aperture control, and Nikon G mounts:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/omegab...t/15030706490/
Old September 12th, 2014, 02:30 PM   #28
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques Mersereau View Post
Hi John,

The footage looks nice. For our needs here at the U of Michigan,
and even though we have a pretty extensive lighting kit,
the ability to shoot *clean* footage in 4-12 foot candles is going to be a big factor when we upgrade to 4K (or above). The reason being that we shoot a lot of performances with projected back grounds. Even a 6500 lumen projector is dim when the image is 32'Wx20'H. To make those backgrounds pop, we need the right camera.

6500 lumens is an incredibly small output for that much surface area. Wide angle lens? Front or rear projected?

I would imagine dynamic range would be more important as I couldn't imagine how dimly lit your stage would need to be in order to keep the performance lighting from overcoming the projected background.
Old September 20th, 2014, 12:50 PM   #29
Trustee

Let's not veer away from the topic of this thread the CION - no disrespect intended.

I spoke with a local AJA rep a couple of days ago and he said that he hopes to bring a working CION to our studio for some testing. If and when that happens, we will test the CION under tungsten (that's what we have) and try it out with our dim projection backgrounds - (that's what we have ;-( )

We will compare the CION to our Sony EX3s and see what's what and I will report back my *impressions*.
Old September 21st, 2014, 01:03 AM   #30
Inner Circle

Based on comments by some well known DPs about their video, skin tones would be worth checking, together with clipping and producing rather contrasty looking ungraded images.

It's reflected in this DVinfo article: http://www.dvinfo.net/article/acquis...demo-reel.html

Last edited by Brian Drysdale; September 21st, 2014 at 06:55 AM.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News