Samsung NX1: H.265 and 4k - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old May 14th, 2015, 06:48 AM   #46
Inner Circle

Re: Samsung NX1: H.265 and 4k

What if your client does not have the special TV needed for the footage to look proper?

4k is still too much for a lot of post production workflows, especially in H.265 which needs to be transcoded for most NLE's. I think it is important for all manufacturers and software makers to not "drink the Kool-Aid" on 4k. We still need 1080p and 720p way more and often use DVD for delivery as well.

The in-camera downsampling should be as good as your NLE these days if done correctly. No excuse for a 4k camera to not produce stellar 1080p. But you can not lose sight of the fact that this is a still camera.
Tim Polster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2015, 09:05 AM   #47
Trustee

Tim, it seems to me that no prosumer 4K camera offers HD shooting that's as good as an HD transcoded copy from 4K. I don't think it's quite as easy to do as you might think.

Either way, it doesn't seem a big deal to me. When I edit, I edit in 4K and then either make a 4K or HD render. Sometimes I'll do both. It doesn't require any additional editing to make an HD copy of a 4K project.

As far as stills go, I find it exceedingly easy to grab an almost infinite number of 8meg frame grabs from a 4K timeline. Very nice & a multitude of possibilities.
Ken Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2015, 11:01 AM   #48
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Polster View Post
What if your client does not have the special TV needed for the footage to look proper?

4k is still too much for a lot of post production workflows, especially in H.265 which needs to be transcoded for most NLE's. I think it is important for all manufacturers and software makers to not "drink the Kool-Aid" on 4k. We still need 1080p and 720p way more and often use DVD for delivery as well.

The in-camera downsampling should be as good as your NLE these days if done correctly. No excuse for a 4k camera to not produce stellar 1080p. But you can not lose sight of the fact that this is a still camera.
While I agree with a lot of what you are saying, I think calling 4K "Kool-Aid" is over the top and calling on manufacturers and software producers to ignore it is uncalled for. You can go on shooting 720p no matter what innovations there are. More substantively, even if you always deliver at less than 4K, 4K not only gives you higher-quality, lower-resolution videos but gives you more creative possibilities - for example, you can zoom in post, reframe in post and not lose any resolution for the delivery of Full HD. This is not Kool-Aid, this is a real aid to higher quality video.

And as for excuses, what excuses does Canon have for delivering soft and artifact-ridden HD? Being a stills camera is irrelevant (whatever that means). Apparently, as Ken says, it must be harder to downsample in the camera than you think.
Mark Rosenzweig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2015, 11:29 AM   #49
Inner Circle

Everybody calm down. I am not speaking ill of 4k. What I am calling Kool-Aid is the idea that all of the sudden 4k will be the center of production and 'who needs those other formats'... 4k is a tool, but is way too early to be the main or only format of quality on a camera imho.

Having a camera that shoots great 4k and sub par 1080p is what I am referring to. This was the case when the HD era arrived and cameras started coming out without an SD mode. Well, the next round of cameras had the SD modes put back in. The makers can't dictate how we need the use the cameras to make money.

btw, being a stills camera means it probably does not have the processing power for video as a dedicated video camera. The mid level 4k video cameras have excellent 1080p as they utilize quality downsampling from the 4k imager.
Old May 14th, 2015, 07:51 PM   #50
Trustee

Back to a video (4K, sorry):

Old May 15th, 2015, 09:08 AM   #51
Inner Circle

Yes, amazing level of detail.
Old May 19th, 2015, 08:56 AM   #52
Trustee

<iframe src="https://player.vimeo.com/video/128207731" width="500" height="281" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old May 19th, 2015, 11:07 AM   #53
Regular Crew

Hi, Mark.

I'm seeing an occasional vertical smearing at the bottom edge of the frame, usually during a tilt-up from areas of high-density detail, like the grass at 24:09 (see the thumbnail).

I thought it might be my non-4K system choking, but when I downloaded the full-res file from Vimeo, the weirdness shows up when advanced frame-by-frame, in both Edius and Premiere. Any ideas?

Attached Thumbnails
Samsung NX1: H.265 and 4k-capture.jpg  
Kris Kohuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2015, 05:44 PM   #54
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Kohuth View Post
Hi, Mark.

I'm seeing an occasional vertical smearing at the bottom edge of the frame, usually during a tilt-up from areas of high-density detail, like the grass at 24:09 (see the thumbnail).

I thought it might be my non-4K system choking, but when I downloaded the full-res file from Vimeo, the weirdness shows up when advanced frame-by-frame, in both Edius and Premiere. Any ideas?

Thanks for looking. It appears this artifact is the result of PowerDirector 13, which I have used to edit the clips.

Here is the link to the original clip that has the artifact in the full PD 13-rendered video, converted using the Samsung Movie converter.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resi...nt=video%2cmp4

You will see that this artifact is not in the original clip.

The clips for the Vimeo video were rendered in PD13 using XAVC S, at 100 Mbps.
Old May 20th, 2015, 05:23 PM   #55
Trustee

Post 1.3 firmware update slo-mo test from 1080 120p

Old May 22nd, 2015, 11:15 AM   #56
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Rosenzweig View Post
Thanks for looking. It appears this artifact is the result of PowerDirector 13, which I have used to edit the clips.

Here is the link to the original clip that has the artifact in the full PD 13-rendered video, converted using the Samsung Movie converter.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resi...nt=video%2cmp4

You will see that this artifact is not in the original clip.

The clips for the Vimeo video were rendered in PD13 using XAVC S, at 100 Mbps.
Thanks for isolating the issue. (And the 1080p 120 is impressive.)
Kris Kohuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2015, 04:26 AM   #57
Major Player

I'm curious about this cam and I found this footage, and I must say the NX1 is sharper, but as far as color, at least on my screen, it's a match.
Larry Secrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2015, 09:07 AM   #58
Inner Circle

Quick question:

Does the 120fps recording mode have the ability to record audio? Or is it an overcrank mode without audio.

Thanks.
Old May 27th, 2015, 08:59 PM   #59
Trustee

NX1 4K video of the 2015 Bethpage Airshow

How effective is the AF with the new firmware? Although my intent was not to 'test' it at an event like this, but rather capture some interesting footage, it nonetheless does show how well Samsung improved the AF.

All shots are straight from the camera, edited in PD13 and shot with the 18-200mm lens.

Select 4K if you have the ability to view on a 4K or UHD monitor.

Ken Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2015, 03:08 PM   #60
Inner Circle

Looks very nice on a 4K monitor! Samsung seems to have done a pretty good job at producing good sharp 4K images, anyone try their NX500 (the baby bro to the NX1)? Been contemplating that one as a "pocket" camera, seeing as Samsung seems to be at least as much on top of 4K, if not more than the "big boys".

I'm happy with the Sony AX100, but getting a tad tired of waiting for a 4K update to the RX10 or any of their other still (Alpha) cams for that matter
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News