Canon Announces 2nd Generation EOS C100 Mark II at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old October 21st, 2014, 06:14 PM   #1
Obstreperous Rex

Canon Announces 2nd Generation EOS C100 Mark II

Full press release at:

Canon USA Announces Second-Generation EOS C100 Mark II

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2014, 06:15 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Re: Canon Announces 2nd Generation EOS C100 Mark II

B&H pre-order link is Canon C100 Mark II Cinema EOS Camera with Dual Pixel CMOS AF

More photos coming soon to the press release page linked above.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2014, 06:22 PM   #3
Major Player

Who knew??
Richard D. George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2014, 06:44 PM   #4
Major Player

That was fast.

I just saw the rumor a few days ago that Canon was going to revamp the C100 first.

Looks like some nice upgrades, but nothing huge. i.e. no 4K.
Old October 21st, 2014, 07:30 PM   #5
Trustee

This:

Central to many of the new features of the new EOS C100 Mark II Digital Video Camera is its advanced Canon DIGIC DV4 image processor. The Canon DIGIC DV4 image processor separates the RGB output from the camera’s 8.3 Megapixel CMOS imager into three individual 8 megapixel signals (as opposed to 2MB in the EOS C100) for noticeably improved image quality. The Canon DIGIC DV4 processor also includes a new debayering algorithm to help minimize moiré and reduce video noise even at high ISO speeds. (high-sensitivity recording on the camera ranges from ISO 320 to 80,000).

Think it will still match the mk1 with the Digic IV processor? 8MP internal sounds a lot like 4k internal. Not saying anything but just putting it out there.
Old October 21st, 2014, 09:37 PM   #6
Major Player

A month after I bought my C100! That's annoying..

Looks good..
Jody Arnott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2014, 11:24 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Too soon to tell I guess but unless I'm missing something this is going to get destroyed by the FS7.

AVCHD 24mbps, 1080p60p, 8bit C-LOG (probably needs a rig) for $5,500

vs

XAVC from 80-600mbps, 4K, 180fps, 10 bit S-LOG3 (probably doesn't need a rig) for $8,000
RAW-capable, Prores upgradable, etc...

I was hoping for more from Canon considering how good the C100 in it's time. Seems like $2,500 well spent to move up to a FS7 though. Looks like everyone got caught with their pants pulled down by this new aggressively spec'd cam.
Chris Lawes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2014, 01:18 AM   #8
Major Player

$2500 is still a lot of money when you can add an affordable external recorder to the C100 and get high bitrate recording. Granted you still won't get 4K, high frame-rates or 10 bit, but not everyone needs that (although it would be nice).
Jody Arnott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2014, 05:08 AM   #9
Regular Crew

The C100 is a no fuss events camera nothing more and that's why I like it. It's small, feels solid in my hands, the codec is perfect for compressed HD delivery & most importantly it's a reliable workhorse. From a technical point of view it sucks the FS7 kicks it's ass every which way. I don't need 10bit 4:2:2 100Mb/s for events so this will do. You say A7S? Yes the image is quality is great but personally I need a camera with dual slot cards as a back-up, a battery that last 8 hours, sits comfortably in my hands, can take a few knocks and gets me the shot.
Alex Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2014, 05:18 AM   #10
Trustee

I'm not fooled!

This camera has 4K ready hardware inside. I'm 90% sure of this. Think about it.....

1.) Pro cameras are designed to have a shelf life of 3+ years.

2.) Sony is going full throttle on 4K and will likely release their new 8 bit-locked "100" camcorder model at NAB next year. (PXW - FS1?)

3.) Without 4k, this C100 mk2 will not survive at all against a Sony "FS1" with 4k in the same price range.

4.) I seriously doubt that Canon would g through the trouble of making a new C100 knowing that 4k is the future and that Canon fans are screaming for 4K. The C100 mk2 would literally be "still born" with a bleak sales future without the 4k hardware inside.

So I strongly suspect that the sensor and motherboard are 4k ready. I bet it's got a minimum of HDMI 1.4 with at least 8 bit UHD at 30p inside.

I also suspect that at NAB, we will see Canon release a C300 4k (10 bit) to compete with the Sony FS7 and a "firmware update" (paid or free) to this C100 mk2 to make it competitive to Sony's FS1 for the 8bit 4k/UHD market.

Again, Canon must have a couple years of sales plans and targets for this C100 mk2 and I just cant imagine them building a Canon camera this important in their line up without 4k hardware inside.

Anybody out there think this is just crazy talk? lol

CT
Cliff Totten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2014, 05:56 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Cliff I highly doubt the C100 MKII will ever have 4K. Canon is not future proofing this camera because in two years there will be a MKIII with 4K or a completely new model. Like the incremental updates on the iPhone corporate companies are trying to turn a profit not give us a camera that will last for 10 years. Am I currently delivering 4K? No. I agree 4K would have been fantastic but this is a MKII not a new camera, similarly the FS700 II addressed minor issues. There are plenty of other options available, this model will sell regardless. Forget future proofing if you're buying a professional camera the question you should ask is will this camera pay for itself within two years? If not don't buy it. My C100's has paid themselves 10x over in the last two years so I figure it was a good investment.
Alex Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2014, 06:49 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Canon needs to seriously consider a codec for 4K before they even design cameras. XAVC seems to be the consensus to what they should be using, but there's always the possibility they use a non-standard XAVC variant that isn't called XAVC.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2014, 07:30 AM   #13
Trustee

The CODEC should be h.264. They could wrap it in .mp4 or go .mxf. Should be an easy decision for Canon. I dont think that the CODEC is the challange. The industry already has standards for it.

As far as delivery, im shooting 4k now with the intention of 1080 delivery. The best 1080 I have now came from 4k material. The ability to pan and scan a 1080 window inside a 4k frame is montster. Once you start down the 4k road, you never look back.

Anyway, if Canon expects this C100 mk2 to go head to head against a Sony "FS1" 4k camera next year?...Canon will certainly lose market share to Sony. Big time!

I find it hard to believe this is Canon's best strategy.

This thing has to be UHD upgradable in order to compete with Sony and Panasonic in the next 2+ years.

Last edited by Cliff Totten; October 22nd, 2014 at 08:18 AM.
Cliff Totten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2014, 08:22 AM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Harper View Post
. . . similarly the FS700 II addressed minor issues.
There is no FS700 II, and the FS7 is more than a minor upgrade. It's 4K from the get-go and, unlike the FS700 or even the F5 (without a $1K upgrade), it records 4K internally.
Lawrence Bansbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2014, 09:32 AM   #15
Major Player

Everyone has a different situation. The Sony FS7 looks great on paper, and I am sure it will cause many folks to switch to Sony.

For me, the C100 Mark II, while not perfect, and without 4K, does provide enough of the upgrades I was seeking that I placed my pre-order this morning. I pre-ordered through B&H as I had a large credit balance there. They did not provide a range of delivery dates, but I think I am towards the front of the line.

It seems reasonable to guess that Canon might have new versions of the C300 and C500 at NAB 2015. Whether they do, what features such versions might have, and what prices points the versions might have will be interesting.

I will be happy with my C100 Mark II, and will rent a C100 as needed until the Mark II ships.
Richard D. George is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News