Canon Announces 2nd Generation EOS C100 Mark II - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old October 22nd, 2014, 10:01 AM   #16
Major Player

Re: Canon Announces 2nd Generation EOS C100 Mark II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jody Arnott View Post
A month after I bought my C100! That's annoying..

Looks good..
3 weeks for me. I'm really pissed right now. 60p is the one shooting mode I wanted most.
Jeremiah Rickert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2014, 10:15 AM   #17
Obstreperous Rex

Who did y'all buy from?

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2014, 11:19 AM   #18
Major Player

I was at the SMPTE Expo yesterday and in the Canon booth at the same time they put the camera up on their site, they unveiled this poster:

https://www.facebook.com/evsonline/p...type=1&theater

Jim Martin
EVSonline.com
Jim Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2014, 11:33 AM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Totten View Post
The CODEC should be h.264. They could wrap it in .mp4 or go .mxf. Should be an easy decision for Canon. I dont think that the CODEC is the challange. The industry already has standards for it.

As far as delivery, im shooting 4k now with the intention of 1080 delivery. The best 1080 I have now came from 4k material. The ability to pan and scan a 1080 window inside a 4k frame is montster. Once you start down the 4k road, you never look back.

Anyway, if Canon expects this C100 mk2 to go head to head against a Sony "FS1" 4k camera next year?...Canon will certainly lose market share to Sony. Big time!

I find it hard to believe this is Canon's best strategy.

This thing has to be UHD upgradable in order to compete with Sony and Panasonic in the next 2+ years.
Make no mistake about it, Canon isn't pitching the C100 mk II against the "FS1". They will pitch the FS1 against the C300 MKII...... and then all you guys who jump ship for the "FS1" will be regretting it.

I wouldn't doubt there will also be an announcement soon concerning the C300 mkII.
Michael Thames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2014, 11:36 AM   #20
Major Player

I think you mean the FS 7.......
Jim Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2014, 12:12 PM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post
Who did y'all buy from?
I bought locally here in Portland, OR. Rep says the C100 Mark 2 announcement was a "surprise"

I wonder if Canon can at least unlock 60p with a Firmware upgrade. I can live without the other improvements. I couldn't sleep last night I was so angry. Even though I work in pro video, only a small percentage of my work is freelance. I had to save money for three years to afford the C100. Feeling like I've been slapped in the face by Canon.
Jeremiah Rickert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2014, 12:34 PM   #22
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Martin View Post
Yeah..the "PXW FS1" is the imaginary baby brother to the new FS7. This "FS1" will have the same body as the FS7 but will be locked down to 8bit long GOP codecs only. I will also not accept the FS7 raw docking station with SDI. It will replace the Sony FS100 and will compete directly with the C100 in its price range. (but the FS1 will of course be a 4k camera)

We know Sony is working on a "100" 4k model right now...thats a fact. It would make perfect sense that it will be a locked down 8bit only PXW-FS7.

Once the FS7 hits the streets, almost no new research and development is needed now to bring this future "FS1" crippled model to market. (saves allot on manufacturing costs too)

This is what the C100 mk2 will be fighting in the market next April.

Last edited by Cliff Totten; October 22nd, 2014 at 02:07 PM.
Cliff Totten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2014, 12:54 PM   #23
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Thames View Post
They will pitch the FS1 against the C300 MKII...... and then all you guys who jump ship for the "FS1" will be regretting it.
First of all neither the fs1 nor c300mII exist but the sony fs7 does, the fs7 costs 8K and the c300 costs 12k, not much to compete there for a 4K price difference + you can expect that if there will be a c300MII it will be even more expensive, considering the c100MII costs 500 dollar more.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2014, 02:16 PM   #24
Obstreperous Rex

Jeremiah, just a thought, if you still have the box and everything, you'd stand a good chance of making most of your money back in my opinion if you offer your C100 up for sale. You'd have a pretty limited window of time for it to be viable, but worth a shot if you ask me,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2014, 02:35 PM   #25
Inner Circle

Just got back from shooting all day with my C100 and PMW-300. This is a worthy update for the C100 and I'm tempted to trade my (late 2012 bought) C100 for this MkII early in 2015. But, even though my C100 has paid for itself many, many, many times over, I'll probably just sit tight and see how the 4K demand goes in my (corporate focussed) video world for the next 12 months or so before I buy yet another camera…especially one lacking that option. 1080p50/60 and better viewfinder is a long overdue move. Lack of (internal) decent Codec does not bother me too much (as I use a Ninja Blade nowadays for anything "important" and of course better monitoring).

I see this C100 MkII is still AVCHD…that's now the main remaining achilles heel (although I'm usually very happy with the results I get from Canon's implementation and it's use in my workflow in what I do).

However, most of all just wanted to say hats off to Canon for a genuinely surprising move - at least to most of us - even Apple struggle with suppressing leaks and "real" surprises nowadays ;-) Sure, these are incremental improvements but they show there's life in the old dog yet and much more to come higher up the Canon "food chain".
Old October 22nd, 2014, 03:09 PM   #26
Major Player

I have no problem with picture quality of my C100 except WDR and LOG gammas at 8bit, there was "mapping" at smooth gradients occasionally (it is problem for me, but cine1 gamma solve this).

Sharpness is very good (I don't need resize from 4K, it eats discs and time and not all SWs make DC with lanzos anti aliasing filtering), 50p can be good, but I can live with 50i to 25p conversion. So only one better thing is high resolution EVF (but I solve this with Aphatron) and the better positioning LCD, with this I can live.

C100 is a very popular camera for documentaries, new upgrade help with this, it's a minor upgrade but it is better than nothing, its price level is a very important.
Pavel Sedlak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2014, 03:32 PM   #27
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate Haustein View Post
...The Canon DIGIC DV4 processor also includes a new debayering algorithm to help minimize moiré and reduce video noise even at high ISO speeds.
Interesting, I think that two green samples (2x1920x1080) and one red and blue (2x1920x1080) samples mean no debayering, but Canon company seems to make something new .-) .
Pavel Sedlak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2014, 05:04 PM   #28
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Martin View Post
You are correct sir! Sorry about that.
Michael Thames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2014, 05:09 PM   #29
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence Bansbach View Post
There is no FS700 II, and the FS7 is more than a minor upgrade.
It's called the Sony NEX-FS700R Lawrence. The FS7 is a completely new model not to be compared to the FS700 in any way.
Alex Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2014, 05:15 PM   #30
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
First of all neither the fs1 nor c300mII exist but the sony fs7 does, the fs7 costs 8K and the c300 costs 12k, not much to compete there for a 4K price difference + you can expect that if there will be a c300MII it will be even more expensive, considering the c100MII costs 500 dollar more.
Yea but, Canon has always been expensive, more expensive than other makes. For people to think they seriously are pitching the C100mkII against the Sony FS 7, you are dreaming. To expect Canon to put in 4K 10 bit, etc and under cut Sony with the C100 mkII is crazy.

They will put it in the C300 mkii, and it will be quite a bit more than the Sony, but people will pay for it, just like we pay for an Apple computer.......... even though as you say C300mkII doesn't exist. The C100mkII didn't exist until today.
Michael Thames is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News