HXR-NX100: 1'' sensor NXCAM - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old June 3rd, 2015, 12:13 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Re: HXR-NX100: 1'' sensor NXCAM

A crappy consumer codec on a Pro Cam. Good luck sony or to an NLE which consider Xavc-s a crappy codec

Ugo
Ugo Merlini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2015, 12:48 PM   #17
Major Player

Sony really should start thinking in terms of better specs for 4K. I think 10-bit 4:2:2 is feasible at 150 Mbps, and 12-bit 4:2:2 at 200 Mbps would be nicer. Also, why won't they support DCI 4,096 x 2,160 on the 1-inch models when they offer it on the 1/2.3-inch Z100?
Lawrence Bansbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2015, 12:59 PM   #18
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugo Merlini View Post
A crappy consumer codec on a Pro Cam. Good luck sony or to an NLE which consider Xavc-s a crappy codec

Ugo
XAVC-S is pretty good from my experience and better than AVCHD. What NLE is causing you a problem. Edius will edit all of them XAVC, XAVC-L, XAVC-S with no problem.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2015, 02:48 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Media composer. Sony and Avid never develop a codec or ama plug-ins for Xavc-S as it is a consumer codec for consumer camcorder. For Media Composer exist a buggy ama plug-ins and it cost 495 $. This is the reason I'm moving to Edius....

Ugo
Ugo Merlini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2015, 03:33 PM   #20
Unregistered Guest

I read somewhere that there's still a problem with XAVC-S and FCP10.2.1 also.
Old June 3rd, 2015, 06:03 PM   #21
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence Bansbach View Post
Also, why won't they support DCI 4,096 x 2,160 on the 1-inch models when they offer it on the 1/2.3-inch Z100?
We don't know that yet. Maybe with a better form factor they can afford a more hefty heatsink to be able to allow that frame size. The current design of this camera looks like it's still designed for 1080 in mind.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2015, 06:20 PM   #22
Trustee

Hi Ugo Merlini,

I edit in Avid MC 3.1 and yes there is no XAVCS AMA. I use Edit Ready to convert XAVCS files, these days it's almost in every edit that I do as more people are using the A7S RX10 etc… I own both cameras and find the work flow easy, yes it's a bit long to get these into Avid but hey…. Avid has it's own way of doing things.

I also have migrated to Premier Pro and PP takes XAVCS files natively. This is wonderful and I wish Avid could do the same.
Simon Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2015, 06:29 PM   #23
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugo Merlini View Post
Media composer. Sony and Avid never develop a codec or ama plug-ins for Xavc-S as it is a consumer codec for consumer camcorder. For Media Composer exist a buggy ama plug-ins and it cost 495 $. This is the reason I'm moving to Edius....

Ugo
My main editor is Edius 7.5 . I also have Vegas 12 which will edit XAVC-S and XAVC but not XAVC-L from the X70. I think Premiere CC will also edit them all too. You will like Edius.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2015, 06:33 AM   #24
Major Player

As a wedding video guy, this camera looks like a very nice blend of features in a relatively compact form. Having the 3 dedicated rings, and all the buttons (minimal menu diving) is a huge plus IMO. It's one of the things that's kept me on the edge from getting the AX100/X70.

I'd like to see some dimensions/weight on the unit... but if it's <$2,000 it looks like a nice replacement for my aging NX5.

I love the 1" sensor look for shallow DOF.... if there was a way to use the FMU with it, that would be great! But, it doesn't look like it has the capability based on the images.
Old June 4th, 2015, 01:41 PM   #25
Major Player

There is a handy PDF document called:

Sony XAVC Workflow Guide

It presents the variations of XAVC for each Sony camera, and then presents a table with the specs for each variation of XAVC.
Richard D. George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2015, 09:23 PM   #26
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Root View Post
I'd like to see some dimensions/weight on the unit... but if it's <$2,000 it looks like a nice replacement for my aging NX5.
Looks just a tad shorter.

Here's the brochure with some specs: http://www.sony.co.uk/pro/support/at...11v1-h-pdf.pdf
Attached Thumbnails
HXR-NX100: 1'' sensor NXCAM-nx3-vs-nx100.jpg  
Matt Sharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2015, 06:37 AM   #27
Regular Crew

The Australian Sony Pro site now lists the HXR-NX30 and NX70, NX5 (and some others) as discontinued and the HXR-NX100 is now there. No more BOSS in the pro cameras.
Mervyn Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2015, 07:33 AM   #28
Major Player

FCPX has always been able to import XAVC-S, it's only XAVC-L that it couldn't deal with, especially clips from the Sony X70. For several months we've been using first Catalyst Browse, then recently EditReady to transcode to ProRes. However, the latest (as of this week) firmware for the X70 has fixed that - FCPX will now import and edit native XAVC-L.
David Dixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2015, 04:36 AM   #29
Inner Circle

FYI: B&H page for this camera is now up:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1156385-REG/sony_hxr_nx100.html
Of note is the F-stop range. Identical to that of the DVX200 and the X70. I know some low-light ENG people won't like the loss of light, but keep in mind the price. Those with EX1s might just have to accept cameras from now on may not have that F0.9 stop loss throughout the zoom range.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2015, 06:04 AM   #30
Inner Circle

The lens is clearly a three ring version of the lens on the X70/AX100/CX900. Sony are really milking this core platform. It looks to be a more useful version than the X70 but leaves off useful things like touch focus probable because it doesn't have a touch LCD and still has a crazy lens cap instead of the nice lever closure version on all the other NXCAM models !! Nice move back to L series batteries though. . That means common batteries with NX5, NX3/1 and NEX-EA50 the likely other cameras for events. Of course after 18 months they still haven't got all my FDR-AX1 working !!! Sony seem to be getting things about 85% at the moment

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News