See ya later, Sony Imaging Division. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old October 31st, 2017, 10:30 PM   #1
Major Player

See ya later, Sony Imaging Division.

Sony shares soar to nine-year high after forecast of record profit | Reuters

"Sony Corp's logo is seen at its news conference in Tokyo, Japan November 1, 2017. REUTERS/Kim Kyung-Hoon

Under Chief Executive Kazuo Hirai, Sony has streamlined unprofitable electronics businesses and capitalized on the spread of smartphones with its image sensors whilst retaining a living-room presence with its consoles."

No mention of 'Cybershot' and certainly not to mention 'XDCAM'. Sensor sales is where it's at. What's the bet the imaging division is sold off before the end of the 2018 financial year! Which begs the question who on earth would want it?
John McCully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2017, 05:21 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: See ya later, Sony Imaging Division.

Nah,....Sony's Alpha and XDCAM brands might not be "hugely" sucessful in terms of the entire company portfolio but I strongly doubt they "lose" money. Im sure they are at least modestly profitable for Sony.

Plus, Sony cameras are an enormous source of pride for the company too. They might cut back elements to increase profits even more but Im very sure Sony will not disband it, especially if its not losing money.

Panasonic is going through the same thing with its camera division.
Cliff Totten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2017, 12:31 PM   #3
Major Player

You may well be correct, Cliff; my crystal ball is far from perfect. I do get the impression that for Kazuo Hirai profit comes a hugely long way ahead of pride and just a little modest profit might be judged to not cut the mustard, may not meet his seemingly rigorous profit criteria.

I agree, they won’t disband the division; that would be foolish. My guess is initially a joint venture with a suitable partner followed in due course by selling their stake. Sony brand cams are not about to disappear from the shelves overnight, is my guess.

The key take home for me with this announcement is that Mr. Hirai has turned the ship around, in spades, and that will strengthen his hand enormously in calling the shots when it comes to cutting deeper, upping the pace, continuing with his relentless pursuit of shareholder satisfying profit margins. And happy shareholders, after all is said and done, is the bottom line with customer satisfaction coming a ‘talked up’ distant second.

He has the wind at his back, and good on him.
Old November 1st, 2017, 01:32 PM   #4
Trustee

Well?....we dont have access to Handycam, Alpha, XDCAM and CineAlta profit and loss numbers. Is this a truely profitable area of the company? Are they bringing money into Sony or are they burning money for the company?

After all the profit and lose is calculated, even if this division is bringing in a small profit of 100 million, it would still a productive area of the company.

I do also know that "Kaz" himself is a MASSIVE lover of Sony cameras. He has a deep, personal love of cameras and the photography industry. As a Japanese company with a strong camera culture, this business sector is an important one too.

Now, yes...if the camera division is dead weight, than yes,...they will dump it. But, Sony just passed Nikon in US sales and have risen to #2 behind Canon. I dont know for sure but I think Sony's camera sales are strong and they are only getting stronger these days. (At least in the under $10k market)

Without the actual profit and loss numbers in front of us, we can only guess.

Sony cameras are also doing allot to boost the Sony brand "halo" too.

I believe that this division only needs to pull its own weight and add a little bit extra every year to the overall corporation. If it can reliably to that, it's certainly very much worth having as long as it does pay for itself and a little more.

How would Sony gain anything by dumping a high profile "profitable" division of its company?

Last edited by Cliff Totten; November 2nd, 2017 at 06:20 AM.
Old November 10th, 2017, 06:32 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Totten View Post
Nah,....Sony's Alpha and XDCAM brands might not be "hugely" sucessful in terms of the entire company portfolio but I strongly doubt they "lose" money. Im sure they are at least modestly profitable for Sony.
Here is the actual answer:
Sony - Quarterly Securities Report - For the three months ended September 30, 2017:
https://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/lib...ort_2017Q2.pdf
Sony is making money with it's imaging division thank you very much.
Douglas Call is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2017, 10:14 AM   #6
Inner Circle

I still feel like they're being ultra conservative ASIC-wise to bump up yields. If you look at an ARM processor nowadays to the specialized encoding ASICs Sony currently uses, ARM outperforms those ASICs now. I think Sony is caring more about volume of cheap processing logic rather than improving the speed of those ASICs. They've literally stopped development of low power 4K 60p encoder chips cause 1. It would cannibalize FS7 sales, and 2. 4K 30p encoder chips are higher in volume, so it makes more sense to implement cameras with cheaper chips.

This is literally what is frustrating me about Sony's current direction... volume over innovation. Panasonic took up the slack, but look at where the lens manufacturers are heading... They're using EF and E-Mount mostly now, with MFT not even on their radar. You can't have your cake and eat it too.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2017, 08:43 AM   #7
Trustee

What is Panasonic doing with their GH5?

4k 60p processing
4k 10bit processing
6k collection and processing in 4:3, 5k in 16x9
400mbp/s All-I CODEC
2 UHS-II high speed SDXC slots.

All of this using a Sony IMX272 sensor that is clocked prettty damn fast with no significant rolling shutter.

And......ZERO OVER HEATING PROBLEM!

What does Panasonic know that Sony doesnt?
Old November 12th, 2017, 01:07 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:

Perhaps not a lot. Perhaps they agreed that Sony would manufacture the sensor for the GH5 (and now the G9) and Panasonic could have the consumer/prosumer
market segment. That way they both make an acceptable level of profit (‘acceptable level’ being the key concept).
Old November 14th, 2017, 11:00 AM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
What is Panasonic doing with their GH5?

4k 60p processing
4k 10bit processing
6k collection and processing in 4:3, 5k in 16x9
400mbp/s All-I CODEC
2 UHS-II high speed SDXC slots.

All of this using a Sony IMX272 sensor that is clocked prettty damn fast with no significant rolling shutter.

And......ZERO OVER HEATING PROBLEM!

Panasonic is using a sensor that is minuscule compared to Sony's FF cameras (even their APS-C cameras are quite large by comparison). How is this even a discussion? The engineering difference is substantial.
Old November 14th, 2017, 01:43 PM   #10
Trustee

For me, its not the size of the sensor, it what that sensor/camera can do for me in the end.

I also own an A7S-II and over the last few months, the GH5 is going with me more and more while the A7S-II is staying behind in the safe. Yes...I still love my A7S-II dearly but when low light is not needed, the GH5's 10bit Vlog is superb.

I shot 8 days in Yellowstone this year. I chose my GH5 and got 10bit 5k sampled footage that the A7S-II could never give me. The GH5 blew my mind went I went into post.

So yeah....Im not loyal to "sensor" size....I'm loyal to "end result quality". If all you need is 1600 ISO or lower, the GH5 is a way better camera. If you need more ISO, the A7S-II is a way better camera.
Cliff Totten is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News