Sharp announces 8C-B60A 8K Professional Camcorder at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old November 8th, 2017, 05:43 PM   #1
Obstreperous Rex

Sharp announces 8C-B60A 8K Professional Camcorder

Quote:
"Sharp Corporation announces the release of the 8C-B60A 8K (60p) professional camcorder, a world’s first, integrating capabilities for video shooting and recording, playback, and line output. The 8C-B60A was developed with technical cooperation from Astrodesign, Inc., a company possessing 8K image technologies."
Full press release, specs and images at:

Sharp announces 8C-B60A 8K Professional Camcorder at DV Info Net

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2017, 08:08 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Sharp announces 8C-B60A 8K Professional Camcorder

Edius is insanely popular in Japan, I haven't seen ProRes in use by NHK much, so figures Grass Valley HQX is the codec.

Astro Design have been making HQX codec SSD decks for 8K for quite a while. Wonder if their SSDs will be compatible with this camera.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2017, 09:56 PM   #3
Trustee

Just checked the exchange rate and did a quick calculation ...

So, 8,800,000¥ @ 0.0088 $/¥ = $77,440 (not including sales tax, or lens either?).

Dang, that's a little outa my league.
John Nantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2017, 09:00 PM   #4
Trustee

Yeah I don't think this is exactly targeted at owner operators! It's not hard to figure out that this camera is a direct response to Japan's promise to broadcast the 2020 Olympics in 8K.

Interestingly they've come pretty close to what a lot of shooters are wanting ergonomically - an actual, ENG-style, shoulder mount camera but with an S35 sensor. I'd love an FS7 or EVA-1 in this form factor!
Old November 11th, 2017, 03:42 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wiley View Post
Interestingly they've come pretty close to what a lot of shooters are wanting ergonomically - an actual, ENG-style, shoulder mount camera but with an S35 sensor. I'd love an FS7 or EVA-1 in this form factor!
It's going to be around 10 kg with a lens, viewfinder and battery, and the specs say it idles (non-recording) at 80W. That's like twice the weight and four times the battery consumption of a rigged EVA1 or FS-7. I love the shoulder mount form factor in general, but this doesn't look at all like a camera that was made for comfortable all-day shoulder shooting.

- Greg
Greg Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2017, 08:04 AM   #6
Vortex Media

10 kg is not at all excessive for a shoulder-mount camera. My fully-rigged Ikegami HL59/BVV5 betacam used to be that heavy, and currently my F55 shooting RAW is more than 13 kg. They key is BALANCE. Cameras like the FS7 or EXA1 are not well-designed for balance so even 5 kg on cameras like that is much harder to carry for long periods of time. You are comparing apples to oranges, and if you have never shot with an orange, you can't appreciate how weight disappears when the camera is properly balanced so your shoulder takes 99% of the burden. Also, mass = stability, so a lighter camera is not necessarily desired. 10 kg for a fully-rigged 8K camera seems just about right.

Last edited by Doug Jensen; November 12th, 2017 at 04:35 PM. Reason: typos
Doug Jensen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News