Converting .mov to .wmv using Vegas at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center

Distribution Center
PC or Mac, how to take your video to DVD or the Internet.

Old October 13th, 2007, 11:14 AM   #1
Major Player

Converting .mov to .wmv using Vegas

I have FCP and Vegas systems, and am now producing in FCP. I can post Quicktime movies, but a smaller percentage of people can see them. How would I best import the FCP version into Vegas to output a WMV? My tentative plan is to switch hard drives from Mac to PC and import the bigger .mov file, then render it to a small WMV.

I'm thinking that with Quicktime and WMV versions accessible I would cover 99% of viewers, and this way I wouldn't have to buy anything. Would I have a lossless conversion? Thoughts?
Old October 13th, 2007, 12:53 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Depending on file size and frequency, I would consider burning .MOV to a data DVD and transfer that way.
Another alternative (cheaper in long run) is to use a USB memory stick.
It's been too long since I used a Mac (MacOS7.1, circa 1999 I believe!) so don't know the ins and outs of using DVDs and memory sticks that are compatible with both platforms, but my guess is that it's reasonably easy (I've read a few posts that suggest it is)

Vegas 7 requires Quicktime seven point something (can't remember exactly - I'm using 7.1.3) in order to play nice with .MOVs. I've created a couple of .wmvs from .MOV source footage for customers successfully. Sorry - don't have samples that I can share right now (a little over-enthusiastic with HDD housekeeping a few days ago...)
Regarding quality/losslessness - can't comment beyond "I was satisfied with the results."

As far as actually creating the .wmv is concerned - it's just a case of sticking the .MOV in the timeline and rendering as...
I'll leave it to others to suggest detailed settings for the .wmv render
HTH
Reg Gothard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2007, 10:08 PM   #3
Major Player

Cannot Customize Quicktime Install

Thank you Reg,

Good idea with the jump drive. I just about got it to work. The only problem was that just the audio popped into the Vegas timeline. I did some checking and found that I needed to update Quicktime and customize the install to be able to edit the video. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling several times and couldn't find a way to customize the install.

So I'm close. I just need to figure out how to customize the Quicktime install. Thoughts?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center