Video Quality Problem at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center

Distribution Center
PC or Mac, how to take your video to DVD or the Internet.

Old October 19th, 2007, 03:57 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Video Quality Problem

I've Been learning Premiere and Encore for the past few months and I'm running into a problem exporting it onto dvd with good quality. I have built a (test) 3 minute video in encore, I exported it as 2 different files. 1) As a DV AVI file (700MB) and 2) As a Uncompressed AVI file (5GB). When I import these file into encore it seems to compress these files into the same EXACT size??? Therefore when I build a DVD the quality is reduced dramatically! Has anyone ever had this problem? What and where would the setting be?

Thanks in Advance. I need this soon, client is waiting.

David.
David Kovalev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2007, 11:25 AM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kovalev View Post
I've Been learning Premiere and Encore for the past few months and I'm running into a problem exporting it onto dvd with good quality. I have built a (test) 3 minute video in encore, I exported it as 2 different files. 1) As a DV AVI file (700MB) and 2) As a Uncompressed AVI file (5GB). When I import these file into encore it seems to compress these files into the same EXACT size??? Therefore when I build a DVD the quality is reduced dramatically! Has anyone ever had this problem? What and where would the setting be?
Well, DVDs are mpg compression, no matter what format you drop into Encore, your transcode settings determine how the file is handled. For instance, I could drop a HDV m2t clip into Nero (yeah, yeah, I know! =D) and drop a compressed .mov, and it will be the same size after the software turns it into the type of file that DVDs use.

Honestly, Encore is decent, but the reason I'll be using Nero from now on, is I found out at the last minute that the HD downconvert is better than any of my pro software. Go figure. :)

As far as the proper presets to use, you might even try the Mpeg2-DVD preset out of Premiere. It renders out the exact file format that your DVD will use, and saves a re-render by Encore, maybe that will help?

Carl
Carl Middleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2007, 06:11 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Going Nuts.

Hey Everyone. I'm still having trouble. I still cant get the quality I'm looking for. (Its OKAY but doesnt look original)

Carl: Thanks for the reply. I've exported it like you said in MPEG2 DVD format strait from Premiere. Did the Pass 1 of 2 and 2 of 2 (which I still dont fully understand) But the file was exported and transcoded succefully (about 2 hours! is that normal???), then I imported that m2v file into encore and built the dvd, which still gives me that similar quality. When you watch it on a TV it seems a bit pixilated up close and the transitions are a bit rough.

I shipped out the final copy to the client and the client was disapointed in the quality of it. And I cant go on doing videography without fixing it if there is a way to please the client. Please if anyone can help I'd appriciate it. Here are my thoughts of what it COULD be:

1) The client has a VERY large LCD screen and when watching it on that campared to the new HD TV channels maybe they get dissapointed...

2) The quaility is deffinetly not the same as the origianl DV footage when I play it directly to the TV. The origanl footage is AWESOME and also good on the computer when capured. Could the effects (too much brightness/color effect the quality?)

3) I'm exporting it at a wrong bitrate? I have no idea I just leave it at automatic. How can I check that if that is a problem?

4) Is quality supposed to reduce from DV tapes to DVD?

5) I'm not meant to be a videographer?

Please let me know, I have weddings lined up and I need to figure this out quick... I really need to know how it works... ANY info is appriciated.

Thanks in advance.
David
David Kovalev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2007, 10:22 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kovalev View Post
Hey Everyone. I'm still having trouble. I still cant get the quality I'm looking for. (Its OKAY but doesnt look original)

Carl: Thanks for the reply. I've exported it like you said in MPEG2 DVD format strait from Premiere. Did the Pass 1 of 2 and 2 of 2 (which I still dont fully understand) But the file was exported and transcoded succefully (about 2 hours! is that normal???), then I imported that m2v file into encore and built the dvd, which still gives me that similar quality. When you watch it on a TV it seems a bit pixilated up close and the transitions are a bit rough.

I shipped out the final copy to the client and the client was disapointed in the quality of it. And I cant go on doing videography without fixing it if there is a way to please the client. Please if anyone can help I'd appriciate it. Here are my thoughts of what it COULD be:

1) The client has a VERY large LCD screen and when watching it on that campared to the new HD TV channels maybe they get dissapointed...

2) The quaility is deffinetly not the same as the origianl DV footage when I play it directly to the TV. The origanl footage is AWESOME and also good on the computer when capured. Could the effects (too much brightness/color effect the quality?)

3) I'm exporting it at a wrong bitrate? I have no idea I just leave it at automatic. How can I check that if that is a problem?

Please let me know, I have weddings lined up and I need to figure this out quick... I really need to know how it works... ANY info is appriciated.

Thanks in advance.
David
Hmm...

Quote:
Of course they will. High definition television is 1920x1080 resolution (or at least 1280x720 resolution) DVDs max out at 720x480 resolution. If you client wants a DVD, you need to tell him that that's as good as DVDs get. He can increase the quality somewhat through getting an "Upsampling" DVD player, but even then it's not the same.

If you promised a DVD, deliver a DVD, but keep the footage. If the person wants a high definition disc - like a Blu Ray or HDDVD, tell him you'll deliver it for $1000 or so, which should cover the cost of getting a blu-ray or HDDVD burner for your PC.

Quote:
Mmm... possibly. If you turn up the brightness too much or increase the saturation too much you might inadvertantly be - and I'm oversimplifying here - telling it to make do without the information it needs to make it that bright. That can introduce a "graininess" to the picture.

Quote:
Doubt that's the problem.

Quote:
Yes, MPEG-2 is a decreased quality from the original raw footage, much like MP3s are decreased quality from the original CDs. Sometimes you can't tell the difference. Sometimes you can.

Quote:
Do what you love. You can learn codecs and transfer techniques. You can't learn to love something you don't.
Brian Boyko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2007, 11:27 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks

Brian: Thanks alot for you responses I really appriciate it. You've given me something to look forward to. I still dont have luck getting the quality better... even though it looks good to me.
Did you say that its possible to make a HD cd for them? Wouldn't I need to have the original filmed with a HD camera?

Well I'll try a few more things and I'll let you know what happens but looks like the client will have to remain dissapointed... :(

Thanks again.
David
David Kovalev is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center