DVD labels throw off DVD? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Distribution Center
PC or Mac, how to take your video to DVD or the Internet.

Old May 11th, 2009, 08:14 PM   #1
Major Player

DVD labels throw off DVD?

I've been duplicating a number of DVD's on two different burners (Sony and LG) and I find that some DVD's play fine until I put on the Memorex labels, then they don't read. I'm using the centering tools, but they can still be off a fuzz.

Anybody else had this problem?
Roger Shealy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2009, 05:13 AM   #2
Trustee

Labels are bad. Full stop. From unbalancing DVDs to delaminating CDs, labels cause nothing but problems. If you're reticent to use printable media, invest in a Sharpie. It's the safest alternative.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2009, 05:24 AM   #3
Major Player

What is a good (and inexpensive) solution to produce professional looking DVD's when you're only making 1 - 20?
Old May 12th, 2009, 06:32 AM   #4
Major Player

Ditto on the labels - not worth it if in the end the DVD is unreadable. Get some inkjet printable DVDs and find someone with good handwriting:)
Art Varga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2009, 08:00 AM   #5
Trustee

An Epson DVD-capable inkjet printer can be found for under $100. Google the R280.
Chris Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2009, 11:01 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Yeah I'm using EPson R280 too. Also get those TY water resistance inkjet printable DVD. It has the gloosy look on the printout. highly recommended.
Old May 14th, 2009, 06:02 AM   #7
Trustee

+1 for the Epson. My almost two year old Epson Stylus 595 is still going strong after printing over 250 disks and case inserts. I'm quite sold on Epson.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2009, 09:10 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Epson Stylus Photo 1400 for DVD's

I also use Epson printers. I used an R300 for many years. I finally started getting banding in the blacks on DVD's; the head kept clogging. Epson ran a sale, so I recently purchased an Epson Stylus Photo 1400 and I love it. It performs significantly better than the R300 when it was new, and I have not had to clean the heads once. The ink is more expensive, but seems to last longer. The tray to hold the CD or DVD is significantly improved. It does a great job with printed media.
Robert Petersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2009, 09:31 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Shealy View Post
I've been duplicating a number of DVD's on two different burners (Sony and LG) and I find that some DVD's play fine until I put on the Memorex labels, then they don't read....Anybody else had this problem?
Yes, this has been a known problem for years and you should definitely not use stick-on labels on DVDs - especially for professional purposes. Even if they play initially the label can peel slightly over time and cause the DVD to stop working reliably, as happened to me with a couple of customers before I switched to printable DVDs.

The Epson CD/DVD printers are the most widely available in the U.S., and some Canon printers can also be configured to print DVDs (but I think you have to order the tray separately).
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2009, 12:30 PM   #10
Major Player

Epson Artisan 800

I bought one of these earlier this year, so far I've produced ~100 DVD's.

Combined with the Printable Inkjet media, TY or Verbatim, it looks significantly better than using the stick on labels, which is what I used to use. Far more and cleaner detail in any graphics+pictures you may be printing, especially.
Bill Koehler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2009, 10:06 PM   #11
Regular Crew

I'm using a Canon MX850 scanner/copier/fax. It's prints DVD's fantastically. If's perfect as a main everyday printer - and great for the occaisional DVD.
Gene Gajewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2009, 07:19 AM   #12
Major Player

Gene,

I have a MX700, which is very similar. I don't see how either can print onto the DVD itself, but must use labels. Am I incorrect?
Old May 16th, 2009, 09:01 AM   #13
Major Player

Your Canon MX700 cannot print on CD's or DVD's.

Such printers have a special sled system that goes through the printer.
Ivan Snoeckx is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center