pixel problems at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center

Distribution Center
PC or Mac, how to take your video to DVD or the Internet.

Old November 16th, 2005, 09:43 PM   #1
Major Player

pixel problems

I am hoping this is a ? with an easy solution.

Took on a last minute project to duplicate a dvd providing 50 copies. Due by Sunday morning. NO PRESSURE!

The original dvd contains a wmv file and not a video_ts structure compatible with stand alone dvd players.

Further review reveals the file is at a reolution of 856x480. Encore will not accept this file as it is not a supported resolution.

How can I create a dvd video from the wmv file?

If it is not possible or to time consuming I will duplicate the dvd as is, but ideally I would like to create a dvd video disc.

I am using ppro 1.5 and encore 1.5. Also have other software apps and open to any suggestions.

THANKS
George Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2005, 03:04 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Were you asked to duplicate or make a Video DVD? If duplicate then just use Nero and COPY. WMV is likely for computer playback not DVD player though some DVD players will play back WMV's. IF they want a Video DVD then the WMV will have to be re-encoded to MPEG2 in standard complient form. You might find that it is then too long to go on a DVD!!!!!!

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2005, 03:36 PM   #3
Major Player

I was only asked to duplicate the dvd. The dvd is a highlights montage of about an hour put together by the coach of the team. It is under 900mb.

I was contacted by one of the group volunteers that supports the team throughout the season. The confusion is caused by lack of communication and technical knowledge. The volunteer I spoke with was expecting a video dvd. In order to meet the deadline I pre labeld the blank dvds, expecteing an original dvd video disc.

They will accept dupliates of the wmv file as I received it.
My concern is since the finished product will only be compatible with computers with dvd drives and a few stand alone dvd players. If I put the copies on cd I will have lost time and money on the blank discs labeled in advance.

If it was a fairly simple procedure I was hoping to convert the wmv into an mpeg and then make the video_ts folder. If it was a 720by480 avi the conversion would not be a problem. The 856by480 has me puzzled.

Hope this makes sense.

Last edited by George Bean; November 17th, 2005 at 06:12 PM.
George Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2005, 05:55 AM   #4
Major Player

You might try using an analog connection between a player and recorder to standardize all the types of files into something that would be compatible with what you want to do. If you have an analog A/V output on your computer that would feed a standalone DVD recorder, then you could put the resulting disc back into the computer's drive and play it onto the HDD.
J. Stephen McDonald is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center