DVD-R vs DVD+R? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Distribution Center
PC or Mac, how to take your video to DVD or the Internet.

Old December 4th, 2005, 11:03 PM   #1
Regular Crew

DVD-R vs DVD+R?

Sorry if this is a repeat question but for some reason when I click on the search button, nothing happens.

Can someone give me a little info about the differences of these two types of DVD's?
Old December 5th, 2005, 04:36 AM   #2
Wrangler

Hi Cleveland,

This sort of topic has indeed appeared before. You might find this website of interest: http://www.videohelp.com/dvd.

Quite simply, there is not much difference between the two formats. Since nearly all DVD writers can write to both formats, it does not really matter which one you use. It is said the DVD-R are compatible with 93% of set top DVD players where as DVD+R are said to be compatible with about 89%.

Cheers,

Good things come to those who wait

My Skiing web www.Frostytour.co.uk

For quick answers Search dvinfo.net | The best in the business: dvinfo.net Sponsors
Ed Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2005, 12:06 AM   #3
Major Player

I think the minus R's are more popular in general.

I think I once read that the plus R's are more ideal for buying game type DVD's.

But if you are making your own DVD's for others to play in their machines, I think -R is a safer way to go.
Old December 8th, 2005, 11:43 AM   #4
Trustee

Dash R is slightly better than Plus R (as noted), but Plus R has a feature that Dash R does not. Plus R can be modified to say that it is DVD-ROM (a lie, but it can be a good one). I use a NEC-3500a and a NEC-3550a burners. I have used a third parties firmware to change that section on the disc. Some older players do not understand any writable formats, so this can fix it. I also use Taiyo Yuden +R Hub Printable discs. TY is considered the best mfgr (and they are proud of it as the disc are 60 cents each). I have not had any returns on the last batch of 100 that went out (over 200 hundred discs in all).

And for those of you that have had issues, I have one word... Daewoo. Those players from about 3 years ago are my nemesis. I even found one that would not read dash R, plus R, or fake DVD-ROM. I had to tell him I would refund his money, but he might want to get a new player. He had been waiting for DVD Recorders to come down, so I gave him directions on how to get to Fry's. ;)
George Ellis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center