Clip Wrap vs recording in Quicktime at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > divergent media ScopeBox and ClipWrap

divergent media ScopeBox and ClipWrap
The official support forums for divergent media's ScopeBox (video monitoring and recorder) and ClipWrap (m2t to .mov re-wrap).

Old August 3rd, 2010, 06:33 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Clip Wrap vs recording in Quicktime

I thinking about upgrading to FCP and getting the FireStore MR-HD100 for my JVC GY HD200. Whats the benefit to using Clip Wrap to re-wrap m2t files to mov instead of originally recording the files as mov in the first step? Seems like by using ClipWrap I'm adding a step.
Old August 3rd, 2010, 08:32 PM   #2
Sponsor: divergent media

To be honest, if you've got the capability to record right to QuickTime, there aren't any huge advantages. Are you using a Firestore or some other type of recorder? Once advantage is that DDRs often don't support every framerate/etc inside of QuickTime. The other advantage is that M2T files are far more recoverable in the case of a recording failure (power loss, dead drive).

Hope that helps
-Colin
Colin McFadden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2010, 06:21 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Yes, I'll be recording directly to the Firestore MR-HD100. From what I can tell it records Quicktime at several different frame rates. Thanks.
Old August 4th, 2010, 09:49 PM   #4
Inner Circle

No real benefit except that my Firestore FS4HD has on rare occasion corrupted the Quicktime file where it has never ruined the m2t file. ClipWrap is an extra step but it is the method of my choice. It's also the best method if you use DVHSCap to capture from HDV tape.
Old August 6th, 2010, 04:13 AM   #5
Regular Crew

What's DVHSCap ?
Old August 6th, 2010, 07:07 AM   #6
Sponsor: divergent media

It's a free application from Apple (part of the Firewire SDK) that takes the raw data coming over firewire from an HDV camera and writes it to disk as an M2T. It's useful because it doesn't complain about broken timecode or blank bits of tape - it just grabs data and writes it to disk. Since FCP can be a bit picky about such things, and scrubbing HDV isn't much fun, people sometimes like to just "dump" the tape with DVHSCap and work with the file from there on out.

See the firewire sdk here:
Hardware & Drivers Downloads - Apple Developer

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > divergent media ScopeBox and ClipWrap