just lost four hours of work due to Clipwrap bug. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > divergent media ScopeBox and ClipWrap
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

divergent media ScopeBox and ClipWrap
The official support forums for divergent media's ScopeBox (video monitoring and recorder) and ClipWrap (m2t to .mov re-wrap).

Old March 10th, 2012, 03:02 PM   #1
Major Player

just lost four hours of work due to Clipwrap bug.

This is silly. Just bough Clipwrap today. Dumped 4 SD-cards from a multicam shoot on my hardisk. Dragged the AVCHD-folders to Clipwrap and went away on a job. When I arrived back 6 hours later, I thought i had 4 Prores files, but no only one 00000.mov, with the content from the last card.

This must be a bug! I had expected that the program either renamed the files automatically or was bright enough to ask about renaming the file. The destination directory seems to be for all files in the batch and can not be set per file.

Let me repeat - this is silly!

JOS. Svendsen
Jos Svendsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2012, 03:55 PM   #2
Sponsor: divergent media

Re: &%%%€#& just lost four hours of work due to Clipwrapm bug.

Hi Jos - I'm sorry you've lost some time on this. It is "expected" behavior (a 1:1 mapping on input to output) but we agree that it's not ideal. It's something we're planning to change in the 3.0 version. In the meantime, the best way to handle it is to rename the files (with something like A Better Renamer) before bringing them in to CW.

-colin
Old March 11th, 2012, 02:47 AM   #3
Major Player

Excellent support from Divergent Media

On the positive side. The support from Divergent Media was quick and helpful. Thanks!

And in fact I like the program. It is nice to be able to ingest and transcode outside the NLE. Since I do a lot of multicam shoots, then I hoped that Clipwrap would enable me to dump all the cards on my external harddisk and then do a transcode to ProRes in one swoop. Seems that will be possible in version 3.0. I'll be happy to beta test it.

JOS. Svendsen
Jos Svendsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2012, 09:22 PM   #4
Major Player

Re: just lost four hours of work due to Clipwrap bug.

To Clipwrap Developers, Colin and Mike

Though I really like Clipwrap and your amazing support, I really do agree that Clipwrap would be so much more useful if sets of files could be assigned to different destination directories. Because of my workflow I shoot on several different AVCHD camcorders in a day for hours at a time and would like to then wrap them all in a batch, because even just wrapping can take a while when you are doing 100GB of files.

Mpeg Streamclip has a pretty good way of doing this for different sets of 'adds', an even better way might be to just open a new clipwrap window for each set of files you want to process and then set the destination directory for that. I think this would be pretty straightforward from a programming point of view. You could also take advantage of more processing power, because right now Clipwrap isn't too CPU intensive.

I have tried to do batch processing with scripting and your Command line interface, but I've found bugs in it as well as my scripts I've never gotten a reliable workflow that is useful, I've spend probably 20-40 hours trying to develop reliable batch scripts and I've just given up. If you had some workflows on your website using automator/applescript, drop smart folders, to drive your CLIs it would also help.

Just my 2 cents - I love Clipwrap now, I'd love it even better if you could add this feature and I would gladly pay for an upgrade.

-Keith
Keith Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2012, 10:01 PM   #5
Sponsor: divergent media

Re: just lost four hours of work due to Clipwrap bug.

Keep an eye out for 2.5, shipping *really* soon. It should largely resolve your concerns in this space.

I'd love to hear about bugs in the command line though - we use the CLI hundreds of times each day as part of automated testing, and there aren't issues that I'm aware of.

-Colin

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > divergent media ScopeBox and ClipWrap