output container formats other than Quicktime? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > divergent media ScopeBox and ClipWrap
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

divergent media ScopeBox and ClipWrap
The official support forums for divergent media's ScopeBox (video monitoring and recorder) and ClipWrap (m2t to .mov re-wrap).

Old January 17th, 2013, 03:33 PM   #1
New Boot

output container formats other than Quicktime?

I'm curious, would any other ClipWrap users be interested in being able to output a container format other than .mov files?

I would, for example, like to be able to choose something like .MP4 as an option at least some of the time. Quicktime containers work great inside my computer, but beyond my desk I start to get into trouble (for example, the Playstation in the living room, etc).

I'm very happy with my video library as it is, but man, if my archived clips could be played on my home theater setup without remuxing them that would be amazing. Surely there are other use cases as well, which might benefit from at least one other output container choice?
Drew Wallner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2013, 03:36 PM   #2
Sponsor: divergent media

Re: output container formats other than Quicktime?

Hi Drew - we don't have a PS3 in the office (Hey Mike, what gives?) - do clipwrap files play on it if they're just remuxed into mp4 without transcoding? Since MP4 is just a subset of the QuickTime MOV spec, most things that play MP4 can also do basic MOV, so I'd be suspicious that it's more an issue of the h264 profile used by H264 or something else...

In any case, we're definitely open to adding other containers in the future - I suspect we're more likely to go with things like MXF as a "next step" but MP4 would be relatively straightforward.

-Colin
Old January 18th, 2013, 02:59 PM   #3
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin McFadden View Post
Hi Drew - we don't have a PS3 in the office (Hey Mike, what gives?) - do clipwrap files play on it if they're just remuxed into mp4 without transcoding? Since MP4 is just a subset of the QuickTime MOV spec, most things that play MP4 can also do basic MOV, so I'd be suspicious that it's more an issue of the h264 profile used by H264 or something else...

In any case, we're definitely open to adding other containers in the future - I suspect we're more likely to go with things like MXF as a "next step" but MP4 would be relatively straightforward.
Short answer, yes!

Better answer, I haven't personally run into any that don't. It is entirely possible that there are some AVCHD cameras out there, especially ones much newer than the PS3 itself, for which this might not be true. I can only vouch for my Sony RX100, my Canon HF100, and some older HDD camcorders that I've used.

Basically my workflow situation goes like this, if I pop the original .MTS files from an AVCHD source into my PS3 (on a thumbdrive or a burned optical disc, let's say) they play just fine. Running those same files through ClipWrap into another container makes them much more useful to me on my Mac (and every other platform I touch). Once I've done that though, I don't want to keep both copies of the same content around. Thus, it would be awesome if my ClipWrap output could optionally be compatible with *both* lots of my video software *and* my silly, deliberately stubborn, locked-down-by-design living room media device.

As far as I know, there's no issue getting AVCHD material to play on the PS3 due to underlying codecs, it's simply a matter of Sony not caring to support anything outside a very bare minimum of container formats. Someone with a more intimiate knowledge of PS3 firmware please feel free to correct me on this.

I believe there are probably additional devices out there that would fall into the category of "knows how to play the streams inside AVCHD content, but doesn't like Quicktime containers" as well. I couldn't provide an exhaustive list, but I imagine offering MP4 might be useful to folks for a variety of reasons, including owners of such equipment.
Old April 16th, 2013, 06:13 PM   #4
New Boot

Just checking back in, what are the chances that another output container such as MXF (plays in video editors, but not in most consumer devices) or MP4 (plays in virtually all contemporary consumer devices) might be supported in the relatively near future?

I'm a happy ClipWrap user as things are, but I'm facing some storage dilemmas and before committing a large chunk of data to an archival service I'd like to know if I might be able to organize/use my files differently soon.
Old April 16th, 2013, 09:02 PM   #5
Sponsor: divergent media

It's still on our agenda, but I can't say "near future" - we've got a few more things in the pipeline before that would bubble to the top.
Old April 18th, 2013, 06:35 PM   #6
New Boot

Thanks for the heads up, that's all I needed to know. Will proceed with archiving my stuff in Quicktime containers for now.
Drew Wallner is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > divergent media ScopeBox and ClipWrap