My home made dolly test fotage at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Dolly / Track / Cable
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old January 8th, 2008, 11:53 AM   #1
Major Player

My home made dolly test fotage

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/102676..._camera_dolly/

I had built one to spec off the net last fall and it is a horrible 50 pound beast that barely would fit in my car. Even worse it shook more than the new one I just built so I refused to post the beasts footage. The track is 10 ' PVC but i think i`ll separate it into 5' pieces since at 10 ' pvc bends easy. Coming along so far, I just need to find a good way to hold track together.
Old January 8th, 2008, 12:50 PM   #2
Major Player

Looks very good to me, Can you post some more details about the build and some photos of the rig? Is this one you put a tripod on and slide and walk beside it or something else?

Thanks for sharing.
Josh Chesarek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2008, 11:47 AM   #3
Major Player

Its a little frankensteined. I originally followed some directions I found online but decided the one i made was useless. I kept the wheel set up, 16 skate wheels on iron angles (seen in most DIY dollies) then just changes the actual cart. Its a 33' x 33' piece of 3/4" plywood with the wheel rigs stuck to it. Thats it. I put the tripod on it and roll it. Its so light that theres no need for a handle or extra pusher, simply moving the tripod moves the cart with ease. Mind you this video was with no practice, and was very basic testing for smoothness and ease of use first. Next will be panning dolly moves, see how that works. I`m always in situations where I have to do everything, so I prefer to have this kind where I can move it on my own. I`ll try and get pictures this weekend.
Old January 10th, 2008, 02:32 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Quattrini View Post
Its a little frankensteined. I originally followed some directions I found online but decided the one i made was useless. I kept the wheel set up, 16 skate wheels on iron angles (seen in most DIY dollies) then just changes the actual cart. Its a 33' x 33' piece of 3/4" plywood with the wheel rigs stuck to it. Thats it. I put the tripod on it and roll it. Its so light that theres no need for a handle or extra pusher, simply moving the tripod moves the cart with ease. Mind you this video was with no practice, and was very basic testing for smoothness and ease of use first. Next will be panning dolly moves, see how that works. I`m always in situations where I have to do everything, so I prefer to have this kind where I can move it on my own. I`ll try and get pictures this weekend.
Im in the same boat, care to share the plans you used? I have found quite a few online but trying to decide which one to follow.
Josh Chesarek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2008, 08:45 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Josh , i built one tonight actually. But my wheels didnt work out, swivel was the wrong choice. Can anyone suggest some wheels that will work on 1.5inch PVC... i guess ill have to browse through home depot a little more.
Alessandro Garabaghi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2008, 05:49 AM   #6
Major Player

Most people seem to end with Skateboard wheels or soft rubber ones from inline skates.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Dolly / Track / Cable