Anyone used the CamTram? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Dolly / Track / Cable

Old February 9th, 2008, 07:27 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Anyone used the CamTram?

Is anybody out there able to vouch for the usefulness/shot quality of the CamTram system?

http://www.camtramsystem.com.

Seems like a useful rig for those needing to dolly w/o a grip to do the pushing. I'm also interested in the overhead-track capability. But I would love to hear thoughts on the smoothness of ride, set-up ease, and any problems people have come up against....

Muchas Gracias,
S
Sean Mewshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2008, 12:57 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I'm a satisfied CamTram owner/operator. I acquired one last year for a project that required lots of air travel with a small crew/budget. It worked out very well . The dolly comes with it's own Pelican case at about 35lbs., I believe , so no xs baggage fee w/airlines.The thing is built like a tank so it travels well.
At each location, I would scrounge for an extension ladder on site . Sometimes I would call ahead to have one available. Once we bought the cheapest/lightest 16' extension ladder from Home Depot for $80. along with a couple plastic, folding sawhorses. You cannot use both extensions , so the 16' ladder made an 8' track. A 20' ladder gives you 10' and so on.
Attaining an exact camera height can be tricky . CamTram has several sets of extension rods to elevate camera height . Using Both halves of an extension ladder gains needed inches too. C-stands can raise the track too, maybe too much.
I've got pre drilled 2x4's to make wooden track as well. It tends to be heavier than the same length alum. ladder, but cheaper/more compact.

Performance -wise, dolly is very smooth and can be precisely controlled by operator. I prefer it to micro dolly and other diy pvc tripod dollies. but I probably would have rented a micro dolly for this job if hadn't bought the CamTram. MD travels more compactly and is lighter . Faster setup too. Trade off is that advanced operating is limited when you have to walk along the track w/o stepping on it and VF is difficult to see. External LCD is a must.
I believe CamTram is out of stock, but a newer model may debut at NAB in April. Supposedly less engineered and cheaper.

chris
Chris Li is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2008, 02:39 PM   #3
Trustee

How about noise? Seems that anything on an aluminum ladder would almost certainly be noisy.
Old February 11th, 2008, 03:01 PM   #4
Regular Crew

No noise, completely silent. Soft rubber tires.
Chris Li is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2008, 06:18 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Thank you so much, Chris, for this detailed and helpful run-down of your experience with what sounds like a pretty handy piece of gear. I've been debating what to use as track, and whether to build my own or not, but you're right to remind me that those extension ladders are particularly light for their rigidity, so perfect for the task. I'm thinking I'll rent a pair of shorty c-stands to use as adjustable end supports... Hmmm, I think I'd better buy myself a little level. Eager to give the CamTram a shot!
Sean Mewshaw is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Dolly / Track / Cable