Glidetrack - perfect for weddings! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Dolly / Track / Cable

Old June 20th, 2008, 12:31 AM   #1
Major Player

Glidetrack - perfect for weddings!

I am so pleased with my new toy, the Glidetrack, that i thought I'd let you good people see the results, literally thrown together from the morning of a wedding last saturday:

http://www.vimeo.com/1189963

ok, so it's a clip that makes no sense :) but it was just to show off how effective and cinematic dolly-tracking can be, and unlike my glidecam, i get PERFECT results every single shot! oh, and it takes all of a minute to set up...it'll now be used a lot for future weddings!

one happy customer here then!

http://www.glidetrack.com

cheers

Richard
http://www.fxfilms.co.uk/blog
Richard Wakefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2008, 01:11 AM   #2
Major Player

hi richard,
looks interesting but
a) it doesnt look that long, web site doesnt seem to mention its length
b) it doesnt look stable on tripod with camera at one end,perhaps you can confirm as I dont see how this would support a canon xh-a1
just my observations, can you confirm either of the above, cheers john
John Estcourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2008, 02:00 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Estcourt View Post
it doesnt look stable on tripod with camera at one end
That was my first thought as well when I saw the tripod/glidetrack combo, I do see a very good use for it in controlled situations like the shots they did of the Porsche or when making a short movie.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2008, 02:42 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
controlled situations
I think you summed it up perfectly Noa. By it's nature, you are going to be "hands on" during gliding. You obviously have to engage common sense, and realise that you are putting something on top of your tripod that can DRAMATICALLY alter its centre of gravity.

As such, I would always recommend you remove the camera from the tripod head when not in use. I use quick release mounts so it takes almost zero time. I'd do this as a matter of course even with a normal tripod. Hands up everybody thats had a drunk guest stumble into a tripod?

So, by it's nature, you are holding it as you gluide, one hand on the carriage and the other on the end stop/foot.

Anyway, here's a shot of one of the early prototypes on a tripod at full travel. Travel is 1m.
Attached Thumbnails
Glidetrack - perfect for weddings!-indislide005.jpg  

Last edited by Alastair Brown; June 20th, 2008 at 03:24 AM.
Alastair Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2008, 09:03 AM   #5
Major Player

Brilliant!! I love this thing. What a great idea. Too bad I don't have the cash for one of these. This would really add some dramatic smooth shots to my arsenal. Right now I'm using a Glidecam for similar shots, but I really like the smoothness of a fixed dolly-type shot. Very cool product and I've enjoyed the footage taken with. Richard, I liked the clip where you motion tracked the date to the tabletop during the bride prep. Great idea and well executed.
Old June 20th, 2008, 10:00 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Mine just came in. Thanks Alastair. 2 day's shipping from the UK to the Netherlands is really quick.
The only thing done so far done with it is unboxing. Looks and feels very sturdy. I don't think it will bow under the weight of an A1+WA+mic.
Hubert Duijzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2008, 01:54 PM   #7
Trustee

Looks cool, I wish there were a way it could colapse on the fly. I do alot of running and gunning (weddings) and I dont think I would have the tim eto take it off and on my tripod.
Randy Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2008, 02:27 PM   #8
Major Player

Easy! Just fit the track with a tripod quick release. You have a couple of options, you can either fit it between the tripod and the head as shown, or, you could fit it with a quick release bracket and put it on top of the head, then screw your camera direct to the carriage.

Quick Update. Look to have found an option for supplying you guys in the USA that will keep the postage costs down.
Alastair Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2008, 02:28 PM   #9
Major Player

This thing looks so awesome, maybe next near, after we get a decent tripod. I still think the kittens shot is the best. Brides would love that
Old June 23rd, 2008, 04:14 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alastair Brown View Post
Quick Update. Look to have found an option for supplying you guys in the USA that will keep the postage costs down.
Now THAT is exciting news. :) I am VERY interested in getting one of these, and of course keeping the costs down is a good thing. Gotta bring in some more cash before I consider this seriously, but I intend to be in touch on buying one of these within the next 3 months.
Old June 23rd, 2008, 05:15 PM   #11
Major Player

Amen to that!

Keep us informed when we (US) can have the option to buy!
Blake Cavett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2008, 12:24 AM   #12
Inner Circle

lot of US company are selling this for tool machining at very competitive price.
exmple :http://www.automation4less.com/store...R35%2Dxxxx

you can even choose the length of rail, number of roller on the moving part (4 should be enough). cost is about 200$ for 100cm length.
you just need to add a quickrelease plate on the moving part (for the cam) and manage to fix the rail on the tripod.

Personally i use some ball bearing rail for rack , it is ok while the length is shorter (about 45cm ), but it was free.
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2008, 04:46 AM   #13
Trustee

I really like the look of this glidetrack gizmo. Looks like a very smart idea. Want to sell them in NZ? Need an agent? :-)
Renton Maclachlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2008, 03:13 PM   #14
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alastair Brown View Post
Easy! Just fit the track with a tripod quick release. You have a couple of options, you can either fit it between the tripod and the head as shown, or, you could fit it with a quick release bracket and put it on top of the head, then screw your camera direct to the carriage.

Alastair, would it be feasible to mount a QR plate on the bottom side of the Glidetrack.
Then use a tripod with a 501HDV head already attached.
Then you could simply slide the Glidetrack onto the tripod and lock it down, and attach and remove quickly and easily as needed.

I know that it might seem strange to use 2 tripod heads (one on tripod, locked so it doesn't pan or tilt) one on Glidetrack (Most likely a small 701HDV head).

This way I could still use my tripods for whatever purpose I need.
Old August 20th, 2008, 03:33 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Michael,
in this thread http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/dolly-tra...ght-video.html is a picture of the glidetrack on top of my 503 head. I'm still searching for a cheap head on top of the glidetrack, but you'll get the idea.
Hubert Duijzer is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Dolly / Track / Cable