DIY 39" Slider - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Dolly / Track / Cable

Old February 2nd, 2010, 02:04 PM   #76
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Luce View Post
Looks great! Do have some sort of brake on your carriage? Looks different from mine.
yeah, i do, it is nice to have a brakes;
I super glued long nut with the bolt to the platform, one turn and it's not moving anywhere
Old March 2nd, 2010, 06:01 PM   #77
Trustee

So guys, u know convicted me to buy the pieces @igus. My idea is to buy 1 meter, my gear:
sony fx1, ares 2 tripod and cartoni focus.
So i should buy a new fluid head: which do you suggest:701 hdv or 501 hdv?
thx a lot
Marcus Martell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2010, 03:30 AM   #78
Inner Circle

The 701 is bit lighter right? If so, I'd probably go with the slightly lighter one. If nothing else for convenience.

On the question of buying a new head in general, I think it's wise because it's annoying to have to remove the head off the tripod and it will also allow you to use it as a mini jib.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2010, 11:05 AM   #79
Trustee

The igus parts arrived, now i m guessing if it's better one or 2 fluid heads....
Old April 5th, 2010, 08:39 AM   #80
Major Player

Hi Marcus,

Congrats on your new DIY slider!

If you're going to be using the slider as a mini jib, then 2 fluid heads are the way to go. But if you're not going to be using it as a jib, then I still think 2 fluid heads are the way to go :)
Especially good for "weird" odd angles when dollying.

Best,
Old April 5th, 2010, 06:34 PM   #81
Trustee

ordered my rail from igus this morning...the guy laughed and said they've had somewhat of a goldrush on those from us video guys! Apparently they are expecting stock by the end of the week and he said hopefully they'd have enough to get mine out as there were a ton of outstanding orders!
We should have set up a group buy for a nice discount!
Old April 8th, 2010, 05:25 PM   #82
Trustee

Hey Jeff, thx mate!
" hours ago arrived the quick release plate by Manfrotto (357), would you suggest to not take off the head from the tripod and attach the quickrelease between the head and the slider?
Talking about the upper part i was guessing to buy a second manfrotto head, do you think i'd need this
Google Image Result for http://www.bhphotovideo.com/images/images345x345/150732.jpg

thx mate!
Old April 17th, 2010, 10:46 AM   #83
Major Player

Anyone have a parts list to put one together for my Canon 7D?
Kelly Langerak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2010, 11:44 PM   #84
Inner Circle

Yes, get the Igus rail and carriage then get a 3/16" tap, and a 5/16" metal bit. It's easy. Cost you about $150 for the whole enchilada..
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2010, 02:38 AM   #85
Trustee

hola,
made the first test and maybe i have some issues with the quick release manfrotto 357 plate with the head of my tripod. Another thing i'm noticing is that the slider with the camera on the sides makes the strong head of the tripod flex depending on the weight of the gear.
Tonight i'll test on another tripod....

Silly question: the quick release plate should be attached to the plate of the head of the tripod just through one screw?
thank you and sorry 4 da question
Old April 19th, 2010, 09:01 AM   #86
Major Player

Hi Marcus,

I don't have the Manfrotto quick release 357 (but I think it's a good idea to have one :), but I think for convenience sake, I'd leave the quick release plate on the tripod. (For me, I only have one tripod, but I have two fluid heads, so I need to change between them.)

Do you mean that the Igus rail is flexing? It shouldn't, as it's rated to handle alot of weight. If you mean that the tripod is unstable when you reach the ends, yeah that can happen when your gear is a bit "heavy". You may need another support for the dolly, maybe another tripod, a monopod, or maybe a light stand.

Best,
Old April 19th, 2010, 09:08 AM   #87
Major Player

Hi Marcus,

As for your last question, I only tapped one hole in the middle on the Igus rail. With that size bolt (I forgot the size), I think it's plenty strong for most people's gear. It's just a matter of balancing the weight of the camera while dollying.

Best,
Old April 21st, 2010, 03:16 PM   #88
Regular Crew

Hi,
I just bought a 75cm rail from Igus and I have this problem: the Manfrotto screw is shorter than the rail thickness (you can check the pic.) Therefore I need a longer screw if I want to put it straight in the rail. I have to drill the rail because there's no holes right in the middle of it (it's 75cm long).

Do you know if I can change the screw? Another option (that I'm trying to avoid) is to screw it to the tripod head but that would mean using 2 tripod heads.

Any help or idea would be really appreciated.

Thank you,

Javier
Attached Thumbnails
DIY 39" Slider-tornillo_tripode.jpg  
Javier Salinas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2010, 10:00 AM   #89
Regular Crew

DIY Slider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Anselmo View Post
Hi Marcus,

As for your last question, I only tapped one hole in the middle on the Igus rail. With that size bolt (I forgot the size), I think it's plenty strong for most people's gear. It's just a matter of balancing the weight of the camera while dollying.

Best,
I built the DIY Slider using IGUS parts. The carriage sticks a bit on some places. Does anyone have a solution to make the carriage slide more smoothly?
Thanks.
Old April 24th, 2010, 07:20 PM   #90
Major Player

Hi Javier,

I think my Manfrotto tripod (don't know the exact model #), has the same height bolt as in your photo.

Take a look at this photo of my DIY slider:

DIYDolly_05 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

(Sorry it's not the best photo to illustrate an answer.)

If your only choice is to mount the rail on a tripod head, maybe you can buy a Manfrotto quick release plate and just keep that mounted on the rail?

Best,

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Dolly / Track / Cable