DIY 39" Slider - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Dolly / Track / Cable

Old April 1st, 2009, 01:55 AM   #31
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Anselmo View Post
As Sean had mentioned there was equipment info left by someone, and wondered if these are the exact part names/numbers that you used.
Jeff, I checked on the Igus.co.uk site and there was a slight difference with the prefix letters.
This is a correction:

The rails are:
“drylin W” double rail parts # WS-16-60, 1000 16mm dia, 60mm wide, and 1000mm long.
You can order up to 4000mm long rail.

The carriage that runs on the rails is:
“drylin W” carriage part# “WK-16-60-10-01, 100”
16mm dia 60mm wide and 100mm square

It's quite easy to order - there is a dialogue box where you choose the dimensions and then click "next" to go to the next parameters.

I actually spoke to someone in the UK as well, so I'm sure that you could do the same with your local supplier.
Robin Davies-Rollinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2009, 07:40 AM   #32
Regular Crew

Hi Robin, I can now view version 2 of woodlands, I must have the wrong codecs for version one.
This is actually inspirational - so much so that I plan to have a go myself at something similar over Easter when I'm in France.
Very poetic piece - (funnily enough I didn't like the use of type at the end - not so much the words as maybe the type face and the layout.)
On some shots it appears you could be sliding, tilting and panning all at once - no mean feat!
Sean
Old April 2nd, 2009, 08:13 AM   #33
Trustee

I like how this model incorporates a monopod at one end and your tripod mount at the other. Looks pretty stable but still light weight.

THE VIDEOSLIDER - VS1 — 3' of Travel - only 5 pounds
Old April 2nd, 2009, 10:58 AM   #34
Major Player

Hi Mitchell,

That Videoslider looks like a real professional piece of kit! From the photos, it's look well made and strong. I especially like the idea of a tripod on one end, and a monopod on the other. Does he sell a slider that's capable of being supported by TWO monopods :)

But the price, well, is a bit out of reach for me (guess one could certainly rent a Videoslider). And not to bash your suggestion at all, but the original poster made a DIY slider, and with Robin's much appreciated "research and development" in the field (with video samples), I think their DIY slider is much more affordable.

Best,
Old April 2nd, 2009, 11:17 AM   #35
Trustee

I agree Jeff. I just posted the link so you guys could potentially steal some ideas from it. I really like the "monopod at one end" idea/solution.

I'm still waiting for someone to post step-by-step instructions on how to build one. Plus, where to purchase parts in the United States. (crossing my fingers)
Old April 2nd, 2009, 12:14 PM   #36
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Walsh View Post
I plan to have a go myself at something similar over Easter when I'm in France.

I am so jealous - France is my most favourite country and I get there whenever I can.
I can just see your shots now, slow reveals of un petit village perché, or a move accross vines in bud...
Old April 3rd, 2009, 12:45 AM   #37
Trustee

Anyway guys, if you want a slider like mine, already drilled and with end feet fitted and ready to go, you can buy one from Alastair Brown in Scotland for about 200GBP + postage.
He's at:
www.glidetrack.com
It's a great price - especially if you don't have access to a workshop for all the drilling etc...
Old April 3rd, 2009, 01:32 AM   #38
Trustee

Wow! That seems like a really great deal. I wonder how much a 75mm bowl adaptor costs? (I didn't see the prices listed on the website, only photos of how to use it for mounting)
Old April 3rd, 2009, 01:48 AM   #39
Trustee

I bought the Manfrotto 75mm ball for the tripod bowl for about £50 from Amazon.
It's ideal, since you can get everything levelled quickly (with a spirit level)
Old April 4th, 2009, 02:53 PM   #40
Trustee

I was using the slider with the Sony FX1 today:

Flickr Photo Download: Sony FX1 on camera slider track.

It was very stable on the Manfrotto legs, since I was using the Manfrotto ball adapter to secure it.
I didn't feel that there was any strain on the 3/8ths thread.
Old April 4th, 2009, 05:58 PM   #41
Major Player

Hi Robin,

Nice pic with your FX1 mounted on the DIY slider.

Is your DIY like Alistair's SD Glidetrack, or is it similar to his new HD (heavy duty) track? Can't quite tell from your photo.

Best,
Old April 5th, 2009, 04:19 AM   #42
Trustee

Jeff,
It's the standard 60cm track, not the HD one. I was just trying the FX1 out on it - and it was fine.
Of course, the wider track would be better I'm sure. I think that I might well invest in that next.
Where I work, we are thinking about mounting a Digibeta on the system, so the widest track would have to be used...

Regards
Old April 5th, 2009, 10:36 AM   #43
Regular Crew

I'm in the process of building my own unit and I've had a look at Robin's latest pic and the Glidetrack version, and as far as I can make out, Robin's slider appears to use the same track as Alastair's HD version.

I think if you go much wider, you get into almost 'industrial' use - and end up with a girder - fine for a studio, but becoming a lot less practical in terms of portability.

You might also encounter different stability/support issues with a much larger unit.

BTW: Robin, how many cameras do you have? In each set of pix there seems to be a different one?!

Last edited by Sean Walsh; April 5th, 2009 at 12:31 PM.
Sean Walsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2009, 07:16 AM   #44
Regular Crew

I had a very slight problem with my Glidetrack, phoned Alistair at 4pm and a new part arrived at 10am the following morning !! Can't fault that sort of service can you?

Peter
Peter D. Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2009, 09:02 AM   #45
Major Player

Does anyone know what the hi-hat type bowl is in this picture on the glidetrack website? http://www.glidetrack.com/images/007%20(Small).jpg

Duncan

edit Alistair has told me it's this: http://www.warehouseexpress.com/prod...px?sku=1007962

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Dolly / Track / Cable