Glide Track...or what? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Dolly / Track / Cable

Old July 21st, 2009, 08:57 AM   #31
Major Player

i watched the 3 part series and it goes against my own way of working of keeping light, mobile, having things be quick and easy. the pegasus has quite a few parts to it, and i can't see me getting shots within seconds like i can with the glidetrack (btw, '6-7' times to get one good take??? nearly all of my shots have to be first-time shots, no time for repetition :). yes, with a team of people and/or time on your side, you can set up cool incline shots...but i'm learning how to do soft-incline shots with the glidetrack anyway, and that takes me seconds from the moment i think of the shot itself...no faffing around adjusting angles of components etc. also, the element that allows you to dolly along the floor - hmmm, it's not often you find ultra-smooth floors like in those behind-the-scenes shots ;)

p.s. we would ALL love a steadicam - it's only the money aspect that keeps us all from getting one :)
Richard Wakefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2009, 10:02 AM   #32
Major Player

Money is a big thing for most. Steadicam vs glidecam. Steadicam is great but expensive.

My VW Golf vs a Bentley. Im sure the bentley gives a great ride but my car does the job and a fraction of the price.

Geography also plays a part. For me to import a Pegasus, including postage, taxes, import duty I would be looking at over £900 GBP. Thats an awful lot of a british wedding videographer. Its a sad fact that the british wedding video/film/cinema market is no where near as evolved as the US. You guys think you have it bad, try being over here. As such what we can charge is a lot less. At reframe I met a lot of US studios who are quite large and have a number of people working for them. In the UK I can think of about 2 studios which do that. The rest just dont have the volume of work to justify anything more than 1 or 2 people working for them. The market also isnt willing to pay a high price for videos, thus we dont have an awful lot to spend on gear. The number of other vendors we meet who are facinated by the Steadicam, they all say they have never seen one used in a wedding, or a Glidetrack. They are used to one man with one camera on his shoulder, usually the man has a beard and is called Bob.

Alastair, living in this same market (from Scotland to the south of the UK, its all pretty much the same) has created a product that fits the needs of the videographers as well as their budgets. Thankfully for Alastair the rest of the world saw a benefit in the Glidtrack.

Again, the pegasus, Glidetrack and indislider (plus others) all cost different ammounts. All have different capabilities. Find one which fits your needs and your budget.
Old July 24th, 2009, 02:29 AM   #33
Regular Crew

Surprising how smooth the glide-track is.
Just ordered one yesterday and arrived prompt this morning.
I have yet to test this and I will be using it this coming Saturday at a wedding.
Attached Thumbnails
Glide Track...or what?-glide.jpg  
Anthony J. Howe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2009, 06:15 AM   #34
Regular Crew

How do you do incline shots with the Glidetrack. Obivously the tripod underneath sets the angle of the incline but how do you level the camera head on top - especially if it's a flat base like the Manfrotto 501?
Dave Tyrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2009, 06:56 AM   #35
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny O'Neill View Post
Rock solid, throw it in the back of the car, hit an annoying bride around the head with it. No worries, it will come out fine.
I dunno, personally I think the Pegasus is "head and shoulders" above the Glidetrack when it comes to hitting the annoying bride. When the impact really counts, I want a piece that will hold its own and withstand multiple uses. Annoying brides tend to bounce back like those inflatable clowns - so it's really important to have the best heavy duty gear possible. Although, I hear the Glidetrack is good for slamming fingers, so maybe that's something to consider.
Bill Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2009, 08:01 AM   #36
Major Player

So far my Glide Track experience has been great. There is some performance limitations but sometimes we need to come up with our own solutions. Here in Florida is very humid. Adding baby powder before weddings works better!
The Pegasus looks good and perfect for traveling but we already had 2 Gtracks when this one came out.

I have to admit that my "Hero" Patrick is right about Steadicam Vs. Glidecam. The reality is the money is a big factor and Glidecam can do great things too.

Check this recent video love story done with Glidetrack, Glidecam HD 1000 and Canon 5D.

http://www.vimeo.com/6805938
Jose Ortiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2009, 12:59 PM   #37
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Tyrer View Post
How do you do incline shots with the Glidetrack. Obivously the tripod underneath sets the angle of the incline but how do you level the camera head on top - especially if it's a flat base like the Manfrotto 501?
hiya Dave,

simple: you tilt the glidetrack on the tripod to ur specified angle, then tilt the camcorder/DSLR back so it's facing forward again. (assuming the glidetrack is on the tripod head, and the camcorder is on a head on a glidetrack)

cheers

p.s. i notice you're in the UK. Canon invited me to do 2 seminars at the Pro Photo Solutions show - 27th and 28th October. I'm showcasing the Glidetrack (as well as other products), so come along if you can and say hi!
Richard Wakefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2009, 02:27 PM   #38
Major Player

I had the GT HD and it works but not the way I wanted it to work. I sold it and purchased the Pegasus Heavy Lifter. This thing will last a lifetime. I got the 48" rods, which easily pack in a tripod bag and the ends and the carriage can go in the same or another bag. Very easy to transport. You can pan up down sideways and there is no resistance in the carriage movement. I didn't notice it being cumbersome while shooting weddings at all. Yes its more expensive on the front end but again the quality of this unit is solid.
Old September 30th, 2009, 02:42 PM   #39
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Wakefield View Post
hiya Dave,

simple: you tilt the glidetrack on the tripod to ur specified angle, then tilt the camcorder/DSLR back so it's facing forward again. (assuming the glidetrack is on the tripod head, and the camcorder is on a head on a glidetrack)

cheers

p.s. i notice you're in the UK. Canon invited me to do 2 seminars at the Pro Photo Solutions show - 27th and 28th October. I'm showcasing the Glidetrack (as well as other products), so come along if you can and say hi!
Hi Richard

The method I mean is with the camera at right angles to the glidecam. Is that achievable in any way?

Pro Photo Solutions sounds good, unfortunately it's during the week...not good for me.
Dave Tyrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2009, 03:05 PM   #40
Regular Crew

Can somebody clarify for me how to mount the Pegasus? The Glidetrack can sit flat on the floor (convenient) or sit on a tripod (or 2).

In the Cinevate video, the Pegasus Heavy Lifter appears to be mounted on 2 grip stands. For weddings, that's too much gear, and too much time to set it up. Can it sit on the floor? Can it live on one tripod?

Thanks for all your help.
Bill Engeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2009, 03:21 PM   #41
Major Player

Yes...it can easily work on the floor. That's the way I mostly use it. Floor, tables, etc. I also use 2 quick release plate for my 501 heads. Buy a couple extra plates and slide both ends onto each tripod. There are other ways to use. 3/8" adapters for other stands.
Old September 30th, 2009, 03:30 PM   #42
Regular Crew

I'd have to agree that 2 tripods + a slider is a lot of gear on top of the usual stuff. BUT the setup will open up a whole book of shots that can knock your bride's garter off.

The 2 rail blocks on the Pegasus have 'feet' that prop your rails about 1-2 inches above ground level. So yes, you can use them on the floor (unless the carpet fibers are extra long and fluffy).
Raymond Tsang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2009, 08:50 AM   #43
Major Player

Now we have the glidetrack compact and a decent tripod head we now use the GT compact a fair bit on the tripod. A few times during the ceremony too.

We have a new highlights coming out in a few days which features a fair bit of glidetrack with stunning effect. Well worth a watch for anyone still on the fence.
Old October 2nd, 2009, 01:12 AM   #44
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Engeler View Post
In the Cinevate video, the Pegasus Heavy Lifter appears to be mounted on 2 grip stands. For weddings, that's too much gear, and too much time to set it up. Can it live on one tripod?
The problem with all these track things (I have Glidetrack but they all suffer from the same problem) is that they really need support at both ends unless you have a very light camera. I asked the question before I purchased and was assured by the maker/designer that the Glidetrack would carry the Z1 without flex. It doesn't.

Additionally the plastic "bearings" are affected by the climate and you need to carry lube like WD40 to guarantee smooth movement when you arrive on site.

The other problem is that manually moving the camera doesn't guarantee smoothness. We're currently converting ours to a braked pulley system where a weight/gravity will, we hope, give better results. However, for weddings where taking along two extra tripods simply isn't practical (an environment in which people simply don't want too much gear around anyway) our view is that it's a non-starter, sorry.

Finally to the poster who was going to try a Glidetrack out at his next wedding, could I urge him to practice a great deal before using it on a job?
Philip Howells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2009, 03:21 AM   #45
Major Player

Philip: WD40?! all you need to do (i've done this like 2-3 times in a year), is slightly loosen the carriage fixtures with an allan key. that's it

re: support at both ends... i've never once needed that on any of my GT/tripod setups (i'm using XH-A1s by the way). if you absolutely need to, then it helps to lightly support the furthest end with your hand as you glide towards it, or lightly push down on the nearest end as you glide away from it

i hope the above help.
Richard Wakefield is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Dolly / Track / Cable