Ikan Dolly Wheel Assembly at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Dolly / Track / Cable

Old February 17th, 2010, 07:04 PM   #1
Major Player

Ikan Dolly Wheel Assembly

I wanted to make a straight track skateboard dolly for when my matthews doorway dolly is tied up with the crane or i need something a bit more portable. My Initial plan was the typical DIY corner rail with predrilled holes. Then the angle iron that i'd drill my own holes, weld up a top, etc.

As i brainstormed, i ran across these and ordered a set:

Ikan | FDD-TW Track Wheel Set | FDD-TW | B&H Photo Video

What arrived is a little bit different from the picture. The wheels are black and the metal is a silver finish.

There is nothing particularly unique about these assemblies, except these are a distinct quality notch above some of the ebay sets i've seen. A2-70 engineering bolts, a nicely soft rubber tire... silent wheel bearings. Some of the grind marks on the welds are a bit rough, but the whole thing is painted (anodized?) nicely and the overall impression is quality and I'm happy i bought 'em.

I know ikan sell these designed for their dolly kit, but on their own i think they are nice as a DIY assembly. Four holes in a board plus some washers and you've got a track dolly.

Anyways, for $189 i thought it was worth mentioning. They cost less than the no-name sets on ebay and I rather like the bolt connection vs. the rotating plate. The packaging is surprisingly beefy. Each wheel assembly is in their own fully padded fitted box - the four boxes snugly fit into a larger box. I've had lenses without as much protection. hehe.

I'll update as i use them. I have a few crazy dolly ideas i plan to try these out on.

As a tidy little wheel assembly I think they are worth a look for DIY/experiment. The fact that ikan is a dvinfo sponsor is a bonus!

Holler if you have any questions.

cheers,
-andrew
Andrew Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2010, 09:40 AM   #2
Sponsor: MicroSearch, iKan

Appreciated your comment

Thanks for mentioning our products. We always try our best to make quality products at affordable price.

Kan Yeung
CEO of iakn
Kan Yeung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2010, 09:56 PM   #3
Major Player

Andrew or Kan,

Do these wheel sets pivot so they can be used on curved track?

Thank you,
Bill
Old November 16th, 2010, 03:00 AM   #4
Major Player

The wheel set pivots, yes. They don't float on an offset arm like the losmandy track wheels, but the four wheels mount with a center hex bolt to whatever you bolt them to and there are bearings on either side of the contact with the wheel assembly so all four spin around the bolt as a unit.

You could easily bolt it to an offset arm and get the "follow any curve" effect of the rubber-track dollies.

Hope that helps!
-a
Andrew Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2010, 05:39 PM   #5
Major Player

Yes it does. Thank you!

Bill

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Dolly / Track / Cable