Attention: ZaZa/Igus/DIY slider owners..Neat Idea right here!!! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Dolly / Track / Cable
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old November 5th, 2010, 10:02 PM   #1
Major Player

Attention: ZaZa/Igus/DIY slider owners..Neat Idea right here!!!

Just making sure everyone has seen this video with the terrific idea of mounting this slider on an adjustable metal sawhorse.

It is a very strong and stable solution for studio and field. And the adjustable legs make it versatile.

I got mine from "Harbor Freight" near my house for less than $25.00. It is very similar to the one in the video but the adjustable legs have holes instead of slots (which may be better, because I can drill more holes for more height and adjustability.
http://www.harborfreight.com/foldabl...rse-96506.html

I bolted my slider to it. And the legs fold up completely and there is a handle on it for portability. Its near perfect. Only drawback is that it is kinda heavy.

When you are not using it for your slider, use it for lights or monitors or whatever else on location.....It will support 440lbs.

Edit: It is tough to purchase on line anywhere.....but if you have a Harbor Freight located near you....stop and pick one up.

Last edited by Steve Witt; November 5th, 2010 at 10:28 PM. Reason: more info on availability for purchase
Steve Witt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2010, 08:57 AM   #2
Major Player

Steve,

Your timing couldn't be better for me. My dyi slider from amazon for $171.00 shipped and $25.00 for sawhorse,what a deal.

Dan
Forever Moments Video Productions
Dan Asseff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2010, 12:36 PM   #3
Major Player

Thats great Dan. You will enjoy the slider. By the way....the Vimeo video above was from a guy name "Evan Burns". As far as I know, this great idea is his discovery. Thanks Evan!!!
Old November 10th, 2010, 08:16 AM   #4
Major Player

I got the saw horse yesterday,and it works perfect. The only problem is the saw horse is very heavy.I am going to get a aluminum piece to replace it. Then I think it will be perfect.

Dan
Old November 10th, 2010, 02:49 PM   #5
Major Player

Let me know how that works out....sounds like a good idea. Boy, if one of these IndieFilm tool producing companies would make a much lighter aluminum one, that can stand about 2ft higher......It would be perfection.
Old November 12th, 2010, 07:47 AM   #6
Major Player

I put two Junior Pins with Baby Sockets on each end of the Igus. This way I can use Junior, Baby or C-stands to support the slider. Since I have stands that can go from around 3 inches to 22 feet in height, I can support it at any height needed. My junior stands have a lazy or mountain legs so I can level front and back as well as side-to-side. C-stands with sliding legs also allow for setting up on uneven terrain.

The sawhorse is a great idea however, it has limited adjustment.

Bill
Old November 12th, 2010, 04:39 PM   #7
Major Player

This sounds good Bill. Could you possibly post some pics of this setup. It would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old November 12th, 2010, 09:28 PM   #8
Major Player

Here ya go fresh from the camera, in this set-up the slider sits a top a couple of Gary Colmans.
Attached Thumbnails
Attention:  ZaZa/Igus/DIY slider owners..Neat Idea right here!!!-img_0330.jpg   Attention:  ZaZa/Igus/DIY slider owners..Neat Idea right here!!!-img_0329.jpg  

Attention:  ZaZa/Igus/DIY slider owners..Neat Idea right here!!!-img_0331.jpg   Attention:  ZaZa/Igus/DIY slider owners..Neat Idea right here!!!-img_0332.jpg  

Old November 13th, 2010, 07:32 AM   #9
Major Player

This looks great. Where are you getting the slider from?
Ron Little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2010, 08:32 AM   #10
Major Player

From Igus on Amazon the $207 version then added the Junior pins and quick change adapter theaded the ends and added the carriage stops,

Old November 13th, 2010, 10:12 AM   #11
Major Player

Well here is my take. I took the sawhorse apart and used the legs and handle. Had a friend make the channel out of wood and stained the wood. There is a little more tweaking to be done. Let me know what you think.

Dan
Attached Thumbnails
Attention:  ZaZa/Igus/DIY slider owners..Neat Idea right here!!!-dsc_0055.jpg   Attention:  ZaZa/Igus/DIY slider owners..Neat Idea right here!!!-dsc_0056.jpg  

Old November 13th, 2010, 03:18 PM   #12
Major Player

Bill, thats a pretty neat solution. Nice job. Dan, How much lighter does the wood replacement make it. I'm wondering if you could just attach the legs directly to the bottom of the Igus.
Old November 13th, 2010, 06:08 PM   #13
Major Player

Steve it took about 5lb off. you would have to make a bracket to make the legs fit.

Dan
Dan Asseff is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Dolly / Track / Cable