Dv Challenge #2 Theme Announcment - Go! Go! Go! - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The DV Challenge
An organized theme-based competition where Content is King!

Old July 14th, 2005, 01:58 PM   #31
Major Player

Mike:

I see from your posting today on the DV Challenge #2 sign up thread that you appear to have access to your website once again. Congratulations! I know how frustrating that can be.

If you start having problems with your site again, just let me know and we'll post your entry on its own one pager on my dedicated serve.

Too early this morning, I stated that I would need your files no later than 2 PM EST tomorrow if we're going to go that route. What was I thinking?

I don't need them until 10 or 11 PM Friday night. It does not take that long to post something on the server. Besides, that wouldn't give you much time to finish post production.

So, just let me know if things change.
Old July 14th, 2005, 02:30 PM   #32
Inner Circle

Jeff,

Thanks again. I may send it to you anyway then, as 10mb will make the movie almost impossible to see. I tried it and at the size I would have to use for about three minutes, it is about the size of a matchbook cover. It will be no cinamatographers delite, but being able to see it will sure be an advantage. Besides, I think most will find it very funny.

Thanks again and thanks for the extra time. No peeking now!

mike
Mike Teutsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2005, 11:07 PM   #33
Trustee

In the "rules" thread it mentions 12 midnight Pacific time so I actually gain 3 hours as midnight on the Pacific is what, 3 hours behind midnight in Ohio? Yipee!. When was the topic posted? Pacific time? Just want to make sure everyone has the same number of hours to get it done in.

Actually, I am nearly done. I did however find a fatal plot flaw. I need to reshoot maybe 3-4 shots to fix it. Even then, I need a good script editor to go over this stuff. I am always wondering if I am getting too "wordy" or if I have given the audience enough to go on without spoon feeding it to them.

Anyway, a little color correction and a few reshot scenes and I should be done in plenty of time. I just hope everyone can follow the plot.

Sean McHenry

http://www.DeepBlueEdit.com
Sean McHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2005, 01:25 AM   #34
Trustee

OK, so what recommendation can anyone give me for encoding this little gem? I have all the major encoding tools, CleanerXL, Canopus Procoder 2 and Sorenson 4.

So far Sorenson is winning as it has some QT widescreen formats built in to it's recommended settings. Trouble is, my little 3 minute test is coming out to be almost 11 Mb. That's a lot of room on a web server. I am actually limited to 10 and the web sites is taking up some of that.

I shot in 16:9 and want it to be presented correctly. Anyone have pixel dimension suggextions, like 320 x 180 or so and what settings you guys are using for this? I have spent most of my time trying to get decent DVDs out of Xpress Pro. This one is new to me.

Thanks,

Sean

Old July 15th, 2005, 08:42 AM   #35
Major Player

My compression results were similar, but the loss in quality was so high, that I'm trying to make it a bit bigger. This is all very new to me. I cut the project in imovie HD (cue laughter and pointing) and I am a bit stumped by the compression/ online process. I am also still attempting to find a host. But the movie is DONE, and I get home at around 6:00 Mountain Time so I have like seven hours to work it out tonight.
Good luck to everyone.
" When some wild-eyed, eight foot tall maniac grabs your neck, taps the back of your favorite head against a bar room wall, and looks you crooked in the eye, and he asks you if you've payed your dues, well, you just stare that big suker right back in the eye, and you remember what old Jack Burton always says at a time like that, 'Have you paid your dues, Jack? Yes sir, the check is in the mail."
Michael Gibbons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2005, 10:51 AM   #36
Trustee

I used to run a Linux Server from the house that ran a streaming radio station and held my demos as well as client footage (FTP Server as well as Media Server) and an MP3 on demand server. All from one Linux box running a 900MHz Duron. Worked like a champ. After we moved I left it out in the garage. If I finish in time I will attempt to set it up. If I can sucessfully revive it (and remember how to feed and water the thing) I will make some space available. Unfortunatly I doubt I will have time to get to it with all this compression trial and error.

I suppose you could sign up with one of the "free" video hosting sites. Anyone reading this thread know a good spot to park video where you don't have to sign over rights or anything else we don't want to do.

Old July 15th, 2005, 04:18 PM   #37
Major Player

8 hours, 45 minutes and counting!

My sequence is done. I just have to work a little on my score and then I'm off to encoding it for the web. That should take two hours.

I hope to have my short posted on my website by 9:00 PM or so. I will email Dylan the link then.

Good luck to everyone!
Old July 15th, 2005, 04:52 PM   #38
Wrangler

3:50pm
I just started shooting.
Dylan Couper.
Old July 15th, 2005, 06:01 PM   #39
Inner Circle

Way to go Dylan!

I'm sitting here really bumed out, and anxious. I have everything ready edited and all, but my female lead was in a car accident this morning, after not making it last night, and has two big huge black eyes. I can't get a hold of my back-up! I starting to get desparate. Only need 20 seconds of audio and video.

Just so you know I'm not just making excuses, I'll post what ever I have. I'll fake a female voice and recut or something. I was up until 3:30 am last night, editing and waiting for her to show up. Well, I guess she was not going to show up much after 9:00 or so!

It is 2:34 minutes long right now, and I even have it encoded down to 10.3 megs at this time. I found that post from Rob Lohman, on encoding, and it really worked great! Thanks, I now have a saved preset, DV Challenge QT encoding!

Best of luck to all.

Mike
Mike Teutsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2005, 08:34 PM   #40
Regular Crew

Cinematography

Did anyone shoot their film with this in mind? I most certainly did not. I wanted it to look nice and have thought into the composition but our script never really has that much to work with nor do I have cranes, jibs, etc. What about you guys?
Mitchell Stookey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2005, 09:42 PM   #41
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchell Stookey
Did anyone shoot their film with this in mind? I most certainly did not. I wanted it to look nice and have thought into the composition but our script never really has that much to work with nor do I have cranes, jibs, etc. What about you guys?
Certainly not me. I shot to get something together. Nor do I have any fancy gear. All my support folk came down with the flu, could only do a quick shoot outside because it rained most of the time. My achievemnet is keeping off the "Wall of Shame"
Chris Thiele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2005, 09:45 PM   #42
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchell Stookey
I can answer that for you, yes some people have, and rightfully so, as it carries a hefty prize of a $100 gift certificate and polo shirt from www.dvestore.com courtesy of fellow forum member Guy Cochran. Have no fear though, crane shots do not make cinematography. If you put a strong effort in lighting and composition, you have a shot.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but has anyone used a crane shot yet? I don't think I've seen one in the submitted films.
Old July 15th, 2005, 09:48 PM   #43
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Couper
3:50pm
I just started shooting.
Dylan Couper.
Oh yeah, wrapped shooting at 6pm, 2 hours to edit. I'm done and uploading it now. Took about 15 minutes to come up with the concept and I improved it as I go. Just wish I could compete for a prize. :)
Old July 15th, 2005, 09:56 PM   #44
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Thiele
My achievemnet is keeping off the "Wall of Shame"
Ha yea, that's a really good point. I couldn't come up with ANYTHING I wanted to shoot until Monday and for a while I thought I was on a fast track for the wall of shame. I wonder if I'd be more ashamed by not following through or posting something I hated and was embarrassed by.

P.S. I'm really excited to see Dylan's movie
Mitchell Stookey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2005, 09:58 PM   #45
Space Hipster

Just finished and got one quicktime up to meet the deadline. Working on encoding some other size and windows media...

we had a blast.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge