"The Lowering" - our 48 Hour Film - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge

The DV Challenge
An organized theme-based competition where Content is King!

Old August 10th, 2005, 05:59 PM   #16
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathieu Ghekiere
Wow, I just saw it
Congratulations!
You played with cinematography, sound, framing and editing to create a real tension, without any gore.
That's always more rewarding to see, at least in my eyes, how you can scare people and give them such a feeling of unease by just playing with your cinematic tools.

Really great! One of the very few really scary movies.
Also the house which is so very bright is a nice contrast with the dark things this woman is going through, works very well.
Congratulations again!
Somewhat the same situation for our team here in Chicago. We pulled foreign film (ouch) as out genre and spent the first night brainstorming ideas. In the end we had two good acts but bombed out on our middle act which tied the whole thing together. Our issue was getting the permission to shoot at the Chicago public library which was crucial to our story. The issue in 48 hours is once you commit then you're commited and we amost got permission then the buerocracy started, so we finished up our act 2 and tried to tie the story together. All in all we're looking forward to next year and pulling an easier genre.
Stephen L. Noe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2005, 06:01 PM   #17
Space Hipster

Foreign? That is a major ouch...
Old August 11th, 2005, 04:42 PM   #18
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen van Vuuren
Foreign? That is a major ouch...
That's one of the things I hate about most short film competitions. How can it be an even playing field if everyone has to make a different movie, and how the heck do you compare one to another fairly?
Anyway...
Old August 11th, 2005, 05:00 PM   #19
Space Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Couper
That's one of the things I hate about most short film competitions. How can it be an even playing field if everyone has to make a different movie, and how the heck do you compare one to another fairly?
Anyway...
You are absolutely right - our team was talking about this after this year's 48 Hour. It's very fun to do but you can't really compare the films because they are so different in style, production obstacles etc.

Personally, we had more fun with the DV Challenge than the 48 Hour.
Old August 11th, 2005, 05:24 PM   #20
Trustee

This was the first year in Chicago so we had site requirements as well (you know Chicago landmarks). Our team was fairly large and next year I'll pare the team back to maybe 5 or 6. It's just too short a time to get into a big production which we did because we wanted to deliver the best possible quality. That was a mistake. Instead, we will focus on the story building and be a little more loose with the quality (EXCEPT AUDIO). It seems to me that the comedy or parody genre's always win and frankly we were hoping to pull comedy or parody. Anyway, it was fun.
Stephen L. Noe is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge