DVC3 - Snap Shot - Feedback - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge

The DV Challenge
An organized theme-based competition where Content is King!

Old September 22nd, 2005, 09:28 AM   #16
Air China Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Baptist
Another note: At the end, he is crossing out the bully's eyes on the photo with a big black 'x', and then he writes 'DIE' on the side of the photo. It's kinda hard to see with the internet-size video.
Tyler, when I saw it all I saw was the "X". And actually, I think it is powerful just with the X by itself. In childhood education sometimes they see this as an expression by young children in response to something they cannot oppose directly. It is very deep psychologically, I feel. I don't know what you intend but this viewer at least reacted very directly to it.

Overall, I thought this was an emotionally powerful piece and is one of the reasons why I rated it so highly.

I really think DVers should strive for something with emotional complexity and ideas. As someone who saw all of the challengers it became clear that the obvious concepts were taken right away. Out of 27 entries the ones that stood out were the ones with the original ideas as almost all of the entries had adequate execution. From what I saw, the craft is already taken care of. Next, seek the next level in concepts.
Old September 22nd, 2005, 10:09 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Jones
But I also noted that the main character did not seem to to be much worse for the wear, having no scrapes, scratches, bruises or blood in his spit.
He actually does spit blood, and have bruises and a bloody nose. It's cut pretty quickly, so it's harder to see. If you look at the scene were Mark spits, you can see it's kinda of a pink colour. With the colour correction, I think it may have 'bleached' all the red blood out. Also, I probably painted the bruises on too lightly, so they don't show up on the video that well I guess. But, as you mentioned, it adds to the story as your lengthy and wonderful explanation suggests.

Thanks again for all your comments, I'm taking these all in as a vast wealth of knowledge.
Tyler Baptist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2005, 09:37 PM   #18
Major Player

QUOTE=Meryem Ersoz]... i agree with jon that if you are going to do a scene this violent, some blood or cuts or bruises would add to the believability. that he walked away from that brutal beating without so much as a black eye took me out of the story and into wondering about the believability of what i was watching.[/QUOTE]

I was very impressed with the pace, lighting, and acting abilities of your three friends. And the way you cut this together in post was very impressive also. I, too, am not a fan of violence but appreciated the film for its other great qualities. You should be proud of your accomplishments for your first movie!

So, with that, please take my next comment in the spirit of observation and not as a critical flaw with your piece:

I agree with Jon and Meryem. Violence is used too lightly in movies these days, often with a gross under appreciation with how physically damaging a fight like the one you portrayed in you short, can be. In real life, most people who take beatings like that end up fighting for their lives in a hospital. Having spent years in full contact, competitive Tae Kwon Do tournaments, I know first hand what kind of damage a single punch can do.
Old September 23rd, 2005, 11:44 PM   #19
Wrangler

All I know, Tyler, is that I DESPISED those bullies, and I wished that the victim had been adept at Jeff's Tae Kwon Do, or some other type of self-defense. Brought out the "fight violence with violence" in me, and it pained me to see this kid just take it. Of course, the ending, as others have pointed out, was quite powerful. (Besides keeping the theme intact!)

So, it would seem that you more than accomplished your objective with this viewer: You made a story that was believable and evoked a strong emotion.

Nice work.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge