How's the progress? - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge

The DV Challenge
An organized theme-based competition where Content is King!

Old March 20th, 2006, 09:00 AM   #61
Major Player

The story boards are prety much done. I need to write a voice over. My monkey is busy building props. I have a wife, 2 little ones, a full time job and I'm taking 16 credits this term, ao there'll be no shooting until spring break, which is next week, so I wont really be able to take advantage of the expanded time limit. That makes me a bit sad, I would have like to have had more time in post.
" When some wild-eyed, eight foot tall maniac grabs your neck, taps the back of your favorite head against a bar room wall, and looks you crooked in the eye, and he asks you if you've payed your dues, well, you just stare that big suker right back in the eye, and you remember what old Jack Burton always says at a time like that, 'Have you paid your dues, Jack? Yes sir, the check is in the mail."
Michael Gibbons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2006, 09:24 AM   #62
Trustee

Ed:

ANYTHING will be better than last night's episode of the Sopranos. We did have fun shooting our segment, however. As a matter of fact, the burly detective just came to my desk and asked me to meet him and the tall guy for coffee at a local cop hangout. It's off to discuss our next project! NO. I will NOT be eating doughnuts!

Now, if these meatheads would only study their lines! Ahh the camera LOVES pretty beefcake actors. If they would only study their lines.

Thanks, Ed! If you want, give me your e-mail. I will fly you some screen shots.
Old March 20th, 2006, 09:32 AM   #63
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh DiMauro
Other than that, we had a blast shooting our segment of the challenge. The rest is up to my partner in crime.
If you're the type to keep track of such things you may be wondering why you didn't see Hugh's name on the sign-up list. That partner in crime would be me. Yes, we're doing an East meets West movie! Good thing we had this extra time; we're gonna need every second of it.

You held out on me, Hugh! That's great behind-the-scenes action--an adventure on its own. I just hope you got some really good stuff to make up for mine! :)
Old March 20th, 2006, 10:31 AM   #64
Trustee

Dang It!

Dear Lorinda:

I was hoping you'd read about it on here! It's funnier on the written page as opposed to hearing it verbally. Besides, I didn't give it any mind until I started reading about everybody else's trial and tribulations. I didn't know everybody would be sharing such stories

One thing's for sure, Lorinda: No one else is privy to the funny outtakes you and you alone will be getting in the mail! Besides, I am really counting on you to save my audio from the wind monster. Girl, do you have your work cut out for you! PLEASE! SAVE MY 90 SECOND SEGMENT!

Other than that, dear friends, my segment is going out to Idaho for final edit tomorrow. Filmmaker extraordinaire, Lorinda Norton, is putting it all together for our DV Info friends. Thank God for her.
Old March 20th, 2006, 11:00 AM   #65
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorinda Norton
If you're the type to keep track of such things you may be wondering why you didn't see Hugh's name on the sign-up list. That partner in crime would be me. Yes, we're doing an East meets West movie! Good thing we had this extra time; we're gonna need every second of it.

You held out on me, Hugh! That's great behind-the-scenes action--an adventure on its own. I just hope you got some really good stuff to make up for mine! :)
Oh man, how sweet is that??? I would kill to have that kind of help in my back pocket. I love editing but really cringe about getting out there for the acquisition part. Smart thinking guys.
www.elpilon.com
Edward Slonaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2006, 11:06 AM   #66
Trustee

She's the Brains of the Outfit

She likes to make me out to be the brains, but please, folks, trust me, I am a moron compared to the depth and breadth of her intelligence.

Trust me on this.

Might I suggest that others follow suite: Movie making is a collaborative process. Team up with filmmakers from different cultures, backgrounds and geographical locations. If we can get Dylan to extend production times to accommodate those of us who'd like to collaborate with others from other parts of the country, heck, who knows? We just might need that extra four days to mail out segments to our collaborator!

Just a thought.
Old March 20th, 2006, 11:29 AM   #67
RED Code Chef

I wouldn't count on that production time extension ;) It's a *challenge* after all!

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2006, 11:43 AM   #68
Trustee

I just meant for mailing time.
Old March 20th, 2006, 01:49 PM   #69
Major Player

Can't shoot at Waffle House. Can't get corporate permission. So I had to make due with a local coffee shop. Only half done shooting becuae my male actor got a paying job for the weekend, emcee of some trade show event. I hope the exterior lighting next weekend matches yesterday's shots...

Reviewed footage last night. A couple of shots with soft focus, but not a problem for web viewing. I guess I won't spend the $5K to have my short transfered to 35mm.
Dick Mays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2006, 02:23 PM   #70
Regular Crew

I was really looking forward to the DVC. Unfortunately, the events my documentary is attempting to document are taking their sweet time to unfold, providing me with a fantastic supply of footage but thoroughly exhausting me and my crew. I also just got my second commercial job!

All things considered, unless a brilliant and simple (read: low-budget) thought strikes me like lightening, I shall proudly take my place on the wall of shame. I will however complete a 3 minute teaser/trailer for my doc as an alibi.
Old March 20th, 2006, 03:18 PM   #71
Trustee

Hell, Joe! Everybody knows REAL paying jobs/documentaries take precendence over fun DVCs. I vote to keep Joe's name off of the wall of shame.
Old March 20th, 2006, 06:08 PM   #72
Regular Crew

I know the feeling

I have a job (paying) coming up that is going to take all of my available bandwidth to deal with, so I guess I'll have to sit this one out and wait til DVC6. I do have an idea that only takes a couple of actors and a long road to nowhere, if you're stuck, I'd be happy to share it.
Jay Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2006, 09:11 PM   #73
Major Player

So I finished shooting the scenes a few minutes ago, for the second time, and it looks like I'll have to do it yet again tomorrow; still too damned dark. Working without a proper production monitor and no real lighting instruments (beyond the worklights I've got that make such horrible shadows) is quickly becoming a major pain.

Got some shots of my example setup, but they won't do much good, as I'm still very unhappy with the footage.

Better luck tomorrow, maybe. I'll see how it goes.
Robert Martens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2006, 12:04 AM   #74
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Mays
A couple of shots with soft focus, but not a problem for web viewing. I guess I won't spend the $5K to have my short transfered to 35mm.
LOL, Dick! As usual, you crack me up with your ultra-dry humor. Hope it works out for you this weekend.

@ Robert: Don't know what look you're trying to achieve, but consider this as an inexpensive solution: Buy a good-sized white china lantern at an import store, a 250 watt bulb, and a "socket on a cord." Hang it from a mic stand, the ceiling--whatever. It makes soft light that bathes a wide area. You can use poster board, black foil, etc., to flag unwanted light. And for a monitor to check lighting, what about a little TV?

@ Hugh: You're such a softie. :) Nope, no matter what comes up, if we can’t submit a movie in time it’s straight to the wall. Now, keep in mind that so far this wall hasn’t materialized; however, that doesn’t mean it won’t go up for DVC5! So come on, you guys. At the risk of sounding like an old-timer, back when this thing first started we only had a week. The winner, Aaron Koolen, shot and posted his in six hours!

Last edited by Lorinda Norton; March 21st, 2006 at 12:57 AM.
Lorinda Norton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2006, 12:14 AM   #75
Wrangler

One more thing...

Oh, and Robert...the way your luck's been running if you do this lantern thing make sure the bulb stays in the center of the lantern. I'd sure hate to feel responsible for your house burning down! Might be a good idea to keep a fire extinguisher handy... :)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge